Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how does Acura stack up against Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 11:30 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't consider Lexus a Tier 1 brand or a full on Mercedes/BMW competitor though they have some models that are Tier 1 competitive. Well over half of Lexus sales come from Toyota based vehicles now with Toyota based powerplants. That is not Tier 1.

Lexus Tier 1 competitive vehicles don't even sell very well anymore aside from the IS, the big bulk sellers are the RX, ES, and NX, all based on Toyota's.
You just don't know what your saying. It's funny how everyone on the Lexus forums loves bashing lexus🤔🤔🤔.
Old 11-01-16, 01:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
You just don't know what your saying. It's funny how everyone on the Lexus forums loves bashing lexus🤔🤔🤔.

Wow, taking things a little personal aren't you?

I own a Lexus. I am not bashing Lexus, merely stating facts and my opinion. Saying I don't think Lexus is a Tier 1 brand or in the same hierarchy as BMW/Mercedes Tier 1 brands is not attacking Lexus.
Old 11-01-16, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
UDel has been with this forum a long time. He knows exactly what he is saying. This Car Chat forum is for the free discussion of vehicles and/or opinions....and not all of them are necessarily going to agree with your opinion or mine.
Old 11-01-16, 02:06 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Wow, taking things a little personal aren't you?

I own a Lexus. I am not bashing Lexus, merely stating facts and my opinion. Saying I don't think Lexus is a Tier 1 brand or in the same hierarchy as BMW/Mercedes Tier 1 brands is not attacking Lexus.
Yea I feel you. My bad I'm just very biased to Lexus so sometimes I say stuff like that. But IMHO Lexus IS tier 1 and matches benz or Beamer. Frankly I think Lexus IS the better brand of the three.
Old 11-01-16, 03:58 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i think that lexus in the united states market is largely considered to be a tier one luxury marque. globally? not so much.

it's all about public perception of panache and prestige and lexus has managed to garner those attributes in the north american market. acura, on the other hand, has not.
Old 11-01-16, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think that lexus in the united states market is largely considered to be a tier one luxury marque. globally? not so much.

it's all about public perception of panache and prestige and lexus has managed to garner those attributes in the north american market. acura, on the other hand, has not.
One thing that helps Lexus in the North American market, of course (where I would agree that it is a Tier 1), is that, for the most part, the division started here before it did on other countries and continents. Also, back in 1990 when Lexus first started here, BMW and Mercedes products still had not reached the popularity in the U.S. market that they enjoy today.
Old 11-01-16, 07:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

In regards to how the lexus lineup matches upto the acura lineup the way I saw it first hand was Acura subscribes to the BMW of lineups while Lexus is I guess adapting to the Mercedes of lineups

NX X1/X3
RX X5
RX-L in the future or GX in the present X7

RDX X3
MDX X5

Its gets messey if you test drive each of those vehicles since from smallest to largest you the NX then RDX and barely bigger RX.

Materials wise the recently launched CRV is better equipped inside then the 17 RDX. The NX is a tier above, but alot of cost cutting is visible, which is worriesome when those models start getting some age on them
Old 11-01-16, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The NX is a tier above, but alot of cost cutting is visible, which is worriesome when those models start getting some age on them
Totally agree on the NX. When I did my review, I found its overall refinement, noise level, and ride comfort not up to what I would expect from a Lexus product of that type...primarily due to what I agree looks like cost-cutting. The new RX, however, when it was introduced, was far better-driving overall, and, IMO, is worth the extra money over an NX.
Old 11-02-16, 07:04 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Totally agree on the NX. When I did my review, I found its overall refinement, noise level, and ride comfort not up to what I would expect from a Lexus product of that type...primarily due to what I agree looks like cost-cutting. The new RX, however, when it was introduced, was far better-driving overall, and, IMO, is worth the extra money over an NX.
yup I definitely thought so
Old 11-02-16, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it is roomier.

lexus of course did have the (fabulous) LFA on sale for a brief moment at its stratospheric price (and ability), but in general i agree with you. i do think V12 engines at this time are on their way to extinction. they may be smooth and powerful.
Yes Lexus did have the LFA however Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Audi have regular vehicles in their lineups that have V10, V12 or W12 engines. For everyone who says that a Acura does not have a V8 or Lincoln lacks RWD, it should be pointed out that Lexus lacks V12. Some of the price points MB products get are closer to Rolls Royce territory, an S class V12 Bi-Turbo AMG convertible is closer to a Rolls Royce in price than it is to a Lexus. This is why I so tired of the complaining about Tiers, Lexus has more products on the lower tier list than it does on the higher tier.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-02-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,883 Posts

You over-emphasize the importance of a V12...
Old 11-02-16, 01:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I think many over-emphasize the importance of automotive class tiers...
Old 11-02-16, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I also agree!
Old 11-03-16, 02:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

I used to love Acuras.
They were so stylish.
Though styling can be very subjective; eg what I consider stylish, Steve may consider woeful, etc...

1986-90 Legend

1990-95 Legend
By 1990, the Acura Legend was now on a massively long wheelbase, with a longitudinally mounted engine behind the front axle, and near 50/50 weight distribution.
Notice the extra distance between the front doors to the front wheelarches?

From 1990-04, the Legends got really bland.

However, by 2004 the Acura RL recovered in styling to win COTY.
By now, the Legend/RL's wheelbase had retracted once again, with the engine mounted transversely east to west, in front of the front axle for a more conventional nose heavy design, but this conventional design makes it easier to have full time all wheel drive.
Notice how the leading edge of the front door is once again close to the trailing edge of the front wheelarches?

The mid-life updated version of the original 2004 Acura RL's went downhill in styling, and so too the current 2013 onwards RLX.

The "mid-range" 1989-93 Acura Vigors were also beautifully styled too, with an extra long wheelbase, and a longitudinally mounted 2.5L in-line five cylinder engine behind the front axle for near 50/50 weight distribution.
Notice the extra distance between the front doors to the front wheel arches.

By 1993-97, it became known as the Acura TL, and the nose looked a bit bland, or "kicked-in".
Notice that extra long wheelbase, and the longitudinally mounted 2.5L in-line five cylinder or 3.2L V6 behind the front axle for near 50/50 weight distribution for a FWD car?

By 1997-02, the midrange Honda Saber/Acura TL was at its best in styling.
However, the wheelbase had retracted, and the engine was now conventionally transversely mounted in front of the front axle for a nose heavy design, with a choice of a pair of 2.5L V6 or 3.2L V6 [as opposed to the Honda Accord's 3.0L V6].
The styling was nice IMO, but the mechanicals had gone down.

The 1986-90, 1990-94, and 2000-05 Honda Integras and Acura Integras and Acura RSX Coupes had style.

Today, I don't know what the hell has gone wrong with Acura ILX [Civic-based], TLX [Accord-based], and RLX [Legend-based] styling.
Does anyone know if they are styled in Japan or the USA???

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-03-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do agree with you.

Quick Reply: how does Acura stack up against Lexus?