GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Avs or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 08:00 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Avs or Coilovers?

Sooo I just turned 100k miles today and the looming question I replay in my mind is whether to ditch the avs option and go with Coil overs or fork out over 1k and buy new shocks. There's no doubt I need to do something as I believe there is 100k miles on the stockers and I know that is way past due.

For those of you who faced this and decided on coil overs what was your experience? How would you say the ride quality compares? What are your preferences of brands on coil over? I know bc coil overs have great reviews any experience with them vs avs shocks? How many stayed with avs or went back? Why?

i also plan on changing the rear differential fluid, spark plugs, air and cabin filter, maybe drain and fill the tranny. Any other suggestions for the 460 at 100k miles.

​​​​​​​Thanks
Old 10-05-16, 08:13 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is you vehicle RWD or AWD?
If its AWD your very limited as to strut replacements.. These are new Coilovers made specificlly for the AWD : Ksport CLX131-KP Pro Damper System Coilovers.
Me, personally, I'm not a fan of coilovers for this car.. The GS suspension from the factory is well tuned for the weight and balance of this vehicle. I don't beileve
that you would benefit from coilovers and the ride characteristics they give you especially the GS...In my opinion. Stock struts and springs could be you best
replacement.
Old 10-05-16, 11:19 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

BC Racing has coil overs specifically for both the AWD and RWD. Only issue is you would need to get the AVS light shut off which is a fairly common things to do.
1-855-998-8726
Old 10-05-16, 12:08 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

I would avoid BC Coilovers especially for this vehicle.. There are plenty of reviews on these installed on our GS's.. Research, research and when you think your done, research some more.
Old 10-05-16, 12:23 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Honestly, I'd stick with the AVS, but I'm just burnt out on anything aftermarket, haha.
Old 10-05-16, 06:00 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbxcomm
Is you vehicle RWD or AWD?
If its AWD your very limited as to strut replacements.. These are new Coilovers made specificlly for the AWD : Ksport CLX131-KP Pro Damper System Coilovers.
Me, personally, I'm not a fan of coilovers for this car.. The GS suspension from the factory is well tuned for the weight and balance of this vehicle. I don't beileve
that you would benefit from coilovers and the ride characteristics they give you especially the GS...In my opinion. Stock struts and springs could be you best
replacement.
The car is rwd. I've just read so many positive reviews on the quality of ride after coilovers and with the price of the avs shocks I'd figured I would inquire.
Old 10-05-16, 06:01 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
BC Racing has coil overs specifically for both the AWD and RWD. Only issue is you would need to get the AVS light shut off which is a fairly common things to do.
the avs light is the least of my problems lol. What options are there? I heard you can pull a fuse?
Old 10-05-16, 06:02 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

I would avoid BC Coilovers especially for this vehicle.. There are plenty of reviews on these installed on our GS's.. Research, research and when you think your done, research some more.
could you elaborate a little?
Old 10-05-16, 06:05 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Honestly, I'd stick with the AVS, but I'm just burnt out on anything aftermarket, haha.
i think if I had the car with fresh shocks to begin with I could appreciate the ride quality more. I might be accustomed to the worn shock ride since I bought it with 90k miles lol. That's why I wanted to get opinions because I want to hear from both sides. I just wish they weren't so expensive lol.
Old 10-06-16, 07:59 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Yes please elaborate

I found 2 threads by doing a quick search since 2013. I looked in the GS specific forum so maybe i missed a few. Let's just say there are 6 then. Last month we sold 9 sets of this model alone, in August 8 sets, in July 11 sets. For the YTD we have sold 92 sets just. We multiply that number by the number of years i found any negative write ups on the GS BC Coilovers which is 3 for a total of 276. So 2% of people in the last 3 years have had an issue with their coilovers or were unhappy with them leaving a >95% satisfactory rate. Now these numbers are just based on our sales but we are not the only one selling these.

BC racing has a huge facility where they perform extensive R&D right in house. They have shock dyno's right in house for testing. They can fully customize their coilovers to any specific spring rate or drop that you want at no extra charge. They come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty and replacement shock cartridges are just $95 and stored in house. No need to wait on getting them ordered. They have proven reliability, comfort, and control.

So why would you stay away from them?
1-855-998-8726
Old 10-06-16, 01:21 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Well,, if you go that route (Coilovers), I would be very interested in your experience and feedback!
Old 10-06-16, 01:34 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

From what I've read, people that search for coilovers have had previous experiences with them and are accustomed to the ride and feel they offer. I'm not trying to discourage anyone form purchasing, just so the have enough info going forward to make an informed desision, thats most or our intentions.. Coilovers are destinctive in thier ride and regardless how
soft you set them, they would never feel like OEM. So, coilovers are not for everyone, I've had experiences with coilovers as a passenger, but the cars I rode in were built primarily for the track and some road use,
Old 10-07-16, 10:41 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

From what I've read, people that search for coilovers have had previous experiences with them and are accustomed to the ride and feel they offer. I'm not trying to discourage anyone form purchasing, just so the have enough info going forward to make an informed desision, thats most or our intentions.. Coilovers are destinctive in thier ride and regardless how
soft you set them, they would never feel like OEM. So, coilovers are not for everyone, I've had experiences with coilovers as a passenger, but the cars I rode in were built primarily for the track and some road use,

At that is probably why you were anti-coilover.
A track coilover is going to be uncomfortable driving every day in the street. You are going to have a stiff suspension. You are going to feel those small little bumps that you shouldn't feel.
A daily driving coilover such as the BC Racing, D2 Racing, KSport ETC are designed to make your driving experience incredibly comfortable (like OEM) but giving you that coilover performance.
1-855-998-8726
Old 10-08-16, 07:59 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Once again your misinterpreting what I'm saying .. I'm not anti-coilover, but it appear your overselling these as a vendor.. I'm stating that coilovers isn't for everyone, period... Yheres a market for everything as long as the product fits. I also said that coilovers may not be best suited for the GS series. The real issue here is you can't "test drive" these and simply take them back if you don't care for them after a period of time, say, 100 miles for testing. In the AWD the struts are buried behind the back seat, so adjusting is a real pita unless you do some cutting of the trim panels in the trunk.
Old 10-08-16, 08:24 AM
Fausty
Pole Position

I understand both the upsides and down sides for this discussion. But the reason for starting the thread( and I should have been more specific in the op) is that I want feedback from someone who had avs and went to coil overs and their experience. The difference is a couple hundred bucks more for new avs shocks but if the performance and ride quality was improved( especially if I plan on adjusting ride height) with coil overs like bc racing then it would be a no brainer decision as it would be cheaper and improve those two factors. The other deterrent from buying new shocks was the life of the shock. I've read people with only 30-40k miles having to change them compared to non avs shocks lasting a whole lot longer.

Quick Reply: Avs or Coilovers?