SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headunit and nav screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 05:25 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headunit and nav screen upgrade

Don't flame me guys i cannot find the post where a member installed a head unit with a screen and upgraded the nav screeen
could anyone help me please
Old 10-02-16, 03:53 AM
Skee07
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
Don't flame me guys i cannot find the post where a member installed a head unit with a screen and upgraded the nav screeen
could anyone help me please
I just installed an aftermarket nav. I have a few more pics if needed

Last edited by Skee07; 10-02-16 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added more pictures
Old 10-02-16, 11:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Please do provide more info & pics on both the NAV & stereo components and installs.
Old 10-02-16, 02:45 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up New Nav to fit stock location?

Wow....I am glad I am reading this.......More details please!

I replaced my stock ML with a Pioneer Deck, 2 AMPS, all new Speakers but didn't want to pay Beat Sonics $400.....

What Nav size fits stock location? THX
The following users liked this post:
Wesley430 (09-16-19)
Old 10-03-16, 09:57 AM
Skee07
Driver School Candidate

7 inch screen fits perfectly.. Here's a pic of the gps I used

The following 2 users liked this post by Skee07:
Wesley430 (09-16-19), ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21)
Old 10-03-16, 10:38 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Where did you buy that model? I looked on Amazon and there is a similar model but not 886
https://www.amazon.com/Xgody-Portabl.../dp/B00VJA72D8
Old 10-03-16, 10:56 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tngo23
Where did you buy that model? I looked on Amazon and there is a similar model but not 886
https://www.amazon.com/Xgody-Portabl.../dp/B00VJA72D8

...hey Tngo, if you go to your link & scroll down to "customers bought these items also", the 886 is listed there......for me, I would like to know if it's just plug & play or how much work is it to incorporate with factory ML system & wiring
Old 10-03-16, 11:03 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

How did you run wiring to have stock door open and close......R u using the same buttons as stock? Thx
Old 10-03-16, 11:05 AM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Smile Stock door open/close wiring

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey Tngo, if you go to your link & scroll down to "customers bought these items also", the 886 is listed there......for me, I would like to know if it's just plug & play or how much work is it to incorporate with factory ML system & wiring
I found it......https://www.amazon.com/Xgody-Capacit...+screens+egody

Yes, Iike to know how the stock door open and close also........
Old 10-03-16, 11:21 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...those are some of the same questions, I would like to know also....lol . I was wondering also, since this unit is a stand alone gps unit, if you powered it with the power wire (supplied) would you need any of the functions from the ML system. The door function may be powered separately, so nothing else needed from factory setup. The only thing that might be missing is the factory nav voice, but the 886 may have it's own voice directions.......hopefully Skee will jump in with a little more details on wiring & installation
Old 10-03-16, 09:30 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I think a complete thread DIY would be awesome, Skee! This is one of the best upgrades I've seen in the SC in a lonnnnnnnnggggggggg time. There's been so much demand for this.... Much respect for taking it on and going all in! A step by step DIY would definitely help others that want to follow your ingenuity. That's one of the reasons this forum is the greatest; members helping members. Think about it; we eagerly await!
Old 10-04-16, 11:09 AM
Skee07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tngo23
How did you run wiring to have stock door open and close......R u using the same buttons as stock? Thx
No additional wiring needed for the stock door. it's completely separated from the actual display screen. Still works with the open and close button The tilt devise is made into the bracket that holds the screen. Tilt buttons still work along with the open and close buttons..

Old 10-04-16, 11:33 AM
Skee07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...those are some of the same questions, I would like to know also....lol . I was wondering also, since this unit is a stand alone gps unit, if you powered it with the power wire (supplied) would you need any of the functions from the ML system. The door function may be powered separately, so nothing else needed from factory setup. The only thing that might be missing is the factory nav voice, but the 886 may have it's own voice directions.......hopefully Skee will jump in with a little more details on wiring & installation
The GPS unit came with car plug and charger which powers up with all the other acc. in the car. (wired to the cars system)... As for the voice-- I wired it to the 3 inch speaker in the drives door. You can also add a back up camera to the unit.. REMINDER- I've completely removed the M/L system (very out dated as was the factory Nav system). I've done these upgrades to suit my taste which my not sit well with person who prefers stock upgrades or simple plug and play add-on devices.
Old 10-04-16, 02:36 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skee07
REMINDER- I've completely removed the M/L system (very out dated as was the factory Nav system). I've done these upgrades to suit my taste which my not sit well with person who prefers stock upgrades or simple plug and play add-on devices.
I did the same thing you did two years ago, I replaced the entire ML system with new headunit and new amp, sub and speakers. Like you, I also gutted my Nav, but I haven't found time to put a tablet or Nav unit in there. However, I found that I can't use the open/close/tilt functions anymore. Did you connect anything special behind your headunit or in the trunk to make the control signals continue to pass from the climate control button panel to the open/close/tilt mechanism of the Nav tray?
Old 10-04-16, 04:47 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Yes....Finally a person with the same dilemma as me. I replace everything except the stock Nav.....Obviously "editordz" and myself disconnected the stock deck and the stock Nav door/tilt/open/close completely stopped working. It has something to do with the 3 plugs you disconnect from the control unit......When I reconnect it back and to Factory Amp...it worked.......

I had to disconnect it back to my aftermarket Amps to power the new component speakers/Pioneer Deck......Give us the 411 Skee07......Much appreciated

Quick Reply: Headunit and nav screen upgrade