Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 06:15 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

that transmission is gay, get rid of it. i know its too late but did you by any chance look down inside the valley cover to inspect the knock sensors? you know, to see if they were full of rust and crap? possible you'll need some new delco knock sensors and the harness. DO NOT use crappy after market ones. I work on cars for a living too and its either delco or death. good job though. for real. im sure once you can grab gears itll be faster than I thought it would. and yes youll need a posi unit. but those are pricey.
Old 10-13-16, 10:35 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I did look at the knock sensors and while i didn't remove them, they both appeared shiny and low mile looking. I have been getting a heater circuit code on my new 02 sensor though. the new sensor i installed jumps from high to low voltage very fast where as the used junkyard one i have in bank one changes very slowly and gradual by comparison. Dunno what the issue is there.

Today i dropped the 80w90 from the tranny and refilled with 5w40 Mobil synthetic. The result?

NADA!

You have to force this coc#--sucker into gear HARD if you want it to go fast. Initially i feel like im going to hurt it doing that, but it hasn't ground any gear EVER. Reading what supra owners say, it sounds like this is a tranny you don't *****foot around with.

So i live with my $100 transmission. I simply can't justify the multiple thousands of dollars that a T56 would cost.

Also worth mentioning, with V8 power comes V8 gas mileage. I took a 65 mile trip recently and was nice to the car, remember 2600 rpm at 70mph, got 19 mpg.

I really want to find an LS460 2.937 differential. That would bring revs down under 2000 at 70. I see them on ebay between 360---500 bucks.

Originally Posted by badblackgs
that transmission is gay, get rid of it. i know its too late but did you by any chance look down inside the valley cover to inspect the knock sensors? you know, to see if they were full of rust and crap? possible you'll need some new delco knock sensors and the harness. DO NOT use crappy after market ones. I work on cars for a living too and its either delco or death. good job though. for real. im sure once you can grab gears itll be faster than I thought it would. and yes youll need a posi unit. but those are pricey.
Old 10-13-16, 07:25 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

is a 4L60 out of the question? those are dime a dozen. but the question is, would the bell housing fit?
Old 10-13-16, 07:54 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

I searched this a while when i started. 4WD 4l60 is dime a dozen. 2WD are def NOT cheap around my area anyway.

Also if it's ANY bigger than the ar5 the tunnel will need a makeover. I guess thats one upside to manuals. I have seen t56 trannys for as low as 1500 recently. Thats STILL 15X more than what i paid.

My sister has a pontiac solstice 5 speed, and it was a few years ago, but i dont remember it shifting like this one. Maybe there's a difference in them. Id like to test it out again after creating this abomination.

Dont get me wrong, while the tranny is a pain, this car is still a blast to spank. 99% grins every day. I gotta work on my launch skillz.

Originally Posted by badblackgs
is a 4L60 out of the question? those are dime a dozen. but the question is, would the bell housing fit?
Old 10-14-16, 06:39 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
I have seen t56 trannys for as low as 1500 recently. Thats STILL 15X more than what i paid.
V160's are like $5-8k so $1500 isn't too bad for a 6 speed.
Old 10-17-16, 04:05 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Got me a shifter boot made of actual leather on ebay for 10 bucks. hope the hot glue holds a while.
Who likes my purty hot glue gun?

Cut the excess off...

Fits ok...

A little less hack now

I think the boy approves

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 10-17-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 03:46 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Old 10-23-16, 03:11 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Old 10-23-16, 04:15 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

So i believe i found the culprit to my shifting problems. Excessive flywheel runout.

Upon fully depressing the clutch pedal, i could count to 5 before my clutch disc would fully stop rotating. I figured this out while putting it in 1st gear, the car would briefly lurch forward like i was pushing on the shifter WITHOUT stepping on the clutch.

BUT, step in the clutch, count to 5, THEN place in gear, and it slid right in. Clutch Drag Baby!!

I could be wrong yet but I'm pretty sure .009" is enough wobble in the flywheel to keep the disc rolling.

Ima drop the FW at my local machinist and see if I'm wrong.

FWIW i did message AIMCOCLUTCH on ebay so we'll what they do for defects after their 30 day warranty. Probably nothing but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-27-16, 11:42 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Default Crashmonk

Tried a .002" flywheel shim and got my runout within. 002"! Much better than where i started @ .009"

I don't know if the excessive runout was the cause of my clutch drag but at least now I'll be able to rule it out . We'll see this weekend...

Got me some .002" shim stock and a half circle cut out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tb-xpW4LH8
Old 10-27-16, 11:47 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Old 10-29-16, 05:16 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well the GS480 is back on the road. Sadly i cannot report that it shifts any better. I'll stop making excuses for the AR5 being a truck tranny. It does NOT want to be hustled.

Straightening out the flywheel did have positive effects however. I do notice less bearing noise from the trans. I also have less vibration in the car. The same problem persists however, the clutch disc takes time to spin down. It's about 3 seconds it takes now. You get what you pay for, in my case $100. Could be a lot worse!

At this point I'm torn on what the next modification will be. Change axle ratio or change transmission. An ls460 pumpkin is about 300. A T56 is AT LEAST $1500.

I do know that not having this car for a week felt like an eternity. So extensive mods will have to wait! I'm having too much fun with traction issues !
Old 11-24-16, 07:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Well the GS480 is back on the road. Sadly i cannot report that it shifts any better. I'll stop making excuses for the AR5 being a truck tranny. It does NOT want to be hustled.

Straightening out the flywheel did have positive effects however. I do notice less bearing noise from the trans. I also have less vibration in the car. The same problem persists however, the clutch disc takes time to spin down. It's about 3 seconds it takes now. You get what you pay for, in my case $100. Could be a lot worse!

At this point I'm torn on what the next modification will be. Change axle ratio or change transmission. An ls460 pumpkin is about 300. A T56 is AT LEAST $1500.

I do know that not having this car for a week felt like an eternity. So extensive mods will have to wait! I'm having too much fun with traction issues !
you should consider a junkyard GS400/430/ls430 (early)/sc430 (and late model LS400/SC400) diff. They're gearing is 3.266, lower than what you have now and you can find them for peanuts. Plus the whole carrier will bolt in.

It's also the diff you want if you end up going CD009 (350z 6spd trans, cheap to find but need an adapter) or T56/V160.
Old 11-25-16, 05:03 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Default Crashmonk

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you should consider a junkyard GS400/430/ls430 (early)/sc430 (and late model LS400/SC400) diff. They're gearing is 3.266, lower than what you have now and you can find them for peanuts. Plus the whole carrier will bolt in.

It's also the diff you want if you end up going CD009 (350z 6spd trans, cheap to find but need an adapter) or T56/V160.

1100 mile update:

Running great so far. Just recently I did install a 3.266 diff i purchased from another CL member. This brought revs to 2200@70mph. Performance results are nice, much more drivable now. 1st hits 37 and 2nd hits 60mph.

I wish mileage results were more dramatic. I couldn't do better than 19 mpg before (80%hwy) and now after 2-300 miles my average was 22. Mind you this was maintaining 70 and babying the throttle. So the diff will pay for itself just a bit slower than I thought. I hate reading about corvette owners getting 30mpg...

Aside from all that, I'm still having the common HVAC issues with dual zone, front right speaker is flickering on/ off, and still have no temp Guage or cruise control. Over all, dead reliable. I love Toyotas but not as fond of their engines.
Tight squeeze between the pipes!
Old 11-25-16, 01:26 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

new diff

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 11-25-16 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!