Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New lightweight UPS mail-delivery vehicle being tested in Europe.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 04:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Default New lightweight UPS mail-delivery vehicle being tested in Europe.

An interesting way for mail-services to save money and fuel. We may or may not get it in the U.S. though.

http://compass.ups.com/article2.aspx...TrafficDesktop

For decades, UPS's iconic brown fleet has been an international symbol for: Hey, there's a delivery coming! While the delivery truck does well with hauling large boxes, navigating congested, centuries-old roads – especially those in European center cities – is more challenging.

“Cargo bikes offer a distinct advantage to UPS, as it reduces the time spent on searching for a suitable parking position, saving valuable time.” – Philip Healey, marketing manager for UPS Switzerland.

Through its "rolling laboratory" – a fleet of more than 5,000 alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles – UPS tests options for alternative fuels and technologies in real time across various terrains. UPS has been exploring the economic viability and environmental benefits of electrical-powered cargo bikes for package pickup and delivery with a pilot in downtown Basel, Switzerland. The city, packed (quite literally) to the brim with 13th-century architecture and narrow streets, is an ideal testing ground for the new three-wheeled delivery vehicle. However, this is not the first time UPS has put its delivery innovations on European streets. Battery-aided cargo bikes are already used in Hamburg, Germany, for example.

The battery-supported tricycles used in Basel can carry loads weighing more than 325 pounds. Thanks to its compact design and width of just 40 inches, the bike makes sense for urban use.

"By using cargo bikes in a targeted manner, UPS aims to reduce inner-city congestion, noise and emissions," says Philip Healey, marketing manager for UPS Switzerland. "This form of urban delivery also offers a distinct advantage to UPS itself, as it reduces the time spent on searching for a suitable parking position, saving valuable time."

The Basel pilot project is part of the global UPS initiative to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. For more information on UPS's sustainability efforts, visit ups.com/sustainability. To see how UPS is progressing to meet ambitious sustainability goals, click here.
Old 07-18-16, 04:59 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember thinking and designing something like this when I was in elementary school. Nice to see that someone actually made it a reality.
Old 07-18-16, 02:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

First thing I thought of was Jeremey Clarkson intentionally rolling over his Reliant Robin lol

I don't think that's real practical for US cities though. Our cities aren't that old, streets are wider, its not that congested, even in Manhattan. Plus the main thing is that thing can't haul diddly crap.

I know the Post Office is saying their little mail trucks(Grummin LLV) aren't big enough. They were designed/bought back in the 1980's(newest ones were built in the early 90's), and designed to carry letters. They just aren't big enough for the package onslaught that has come with Amazon and buying junk on the internet. Plus all those mail trucks are old, worn out, and get 15mpg(yes 15mpg), they're based on a 1980's Chevy S10 frame.

A company like UPS that is required to make a profit would've phased them out years ago, but no the UPS keeps band-aiding them back together at tremendous cost. Buddy at the post office told me if one blows an engine, they put a new engine in it, same crap gutless 15mpg Iron Duke 4 cylinder. Cracked frame, put a new frame on it.
Old 07-20-16, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
First thing I thought of was Jeremey Clarkson intentionally rolling over his Reliant Robin lol

I don't think this vehicle is capable of speeds as fast as a Robin. It will probably be less likely to flip.
Old 07-20-16, 03:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think this vehicle is capable of speeds as fast as a Robin. It will probably be less likely to flip.
Toddler tricycles don't go too fast, and flip over pretty easily....
Old 07-20-16, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Toddler tricycles don't go too fast, and flip over pretty easily....
Since it's intended to carry packages, (up to 325 lbs.), the number, weight, and exact location of those packages might (?) also affect its center of gravity and likeliness to flip.
Old 07-20-16, 06:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's definetly not coming to SF anytime soon
Old 07-20-16, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's definetly not coming to SF anytime soon
Hmmm......the SF area tends to like unconventional, fuel-sipping vehicles.
Old 07-20-16, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689

Hmmm......the SF area tends to like unconventional, fuel-sipping vehicles.
I was referring to riding this trike around (steep) hill covered SF.. good luck. At least you'll get a good workout
Old 07-20-16, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I was referring to riding this trike around (steep) hill covered SF.. good luck. At least you'll get a good workout
According to the article, it looks like there is a small electric motor for conditions like that.
Old 07-20-16, 06:35 PM
Hoovey689

According to the article, it looks like there is a small electric motor for conditions like that.
Indeed there is one. That doesn't change what I said though or make it any less funny

The battery-supported tricycles used in Basel can carry loads weighing more than 325 pounds.
Old 07-20-16, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Allow me to comment on the tendency of tricycles to flip...

We know that keeping weight (engine and payload) down low to keep the centre of gravity low will help to prevent rollovers.

Placing the CofG closer to the paired wheels will also help, and this UPS trike looks like its CofG will be further back, closer to the rear, paired wheels.

The Reliant Robin has a front-mounted engine (and not a low CofG horizontally-opposed engine), behind, but nevertheless too close to that unstable, single front wheel. Any shift of that forward CofG (in a fast corner, for example) will send it past its stability zone. If the Robin had its paired wheels up front and the single wheel in the rear, stability would probably have improved a lot.

LOL! My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-20-16, 08:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck using a tricycle in all conditions at all times. But seems like there already is a ready-made alternative made by Ford of Europe which is quite popular.

Is there anything wrong with an all-arounder like the Ford Transit Connect? One postal service seems to like it.
Attached Thumbnails New lightweight UPS mail-delivery vehicle being tested in Europe.-cpost.jpg