ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New CL Member: 97 ES300 BUILD...........CUSTOM w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 12:19 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New CL Member: 97 ES300 BUILD...........CUSTOM w/pics

Hello CL members I'm new to the forums so bare with me, still learning all the processes. My name is Hart & I'm 31 years old and live in Louisiana. I grew up in paint and body business and have been doing it seriously for a little over 15 years. I had a friend who was selling his 97 ES bc he couldn't get it started. Picked the car up for 1k, changed the starter, battery and alternator and ran perfect. I have a GS & SC also so I was never really entrigued by the ES bc of lack of mods available for it. But for the price I couldn't pass it up. It started off as just me wanting to put a simple Paintjob on it and flip it, but the more I got into it the more I loved the fact alot of ppl can't or don't fix them up. So I jumped right in. Been working on it off and on for 2 months so I hope yall like what I've done thus far.I'll try to upload progress with pics as i finish the jobs left on it. Input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-16, 12:28 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

This is how the car looked when i purchased after fixing mechanical issues and making it drivable again.

Since i knew i was painting it regardless i pulled front and back windshields. At the time i had no idea how far i was actually going to end up going with it.

Old 07-07-16, 12:47 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Im not really a fan of emblems so my 1st order of business was to shave badges on hood & trunk. As well as fixing any dents and repairing sun damage done to factory paint over the years.

Hood all stripped, bodyworked and put in 1st prime.

Same process repeated with trunk.

Old 07-07-16, 01:28 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

My next project was the engine bay. I wasnt going to pull the motor on this one so instead i removed all components from support, aprons & firewall. Scuffed, cleaned, taped up and resprayed.
Old 07-07-16, 01:33 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Just a few of the many underhood brackets removed and painted as well. Just bc i didnt pull motor doesn't mean i shortcutted the rest of the process.

Finished product. Shot in ppg envirobase deep black. Converted to an engine bay formula so not a high gloss finish, factory type satin finish.<br/>
Old 07-07-16, 05:53 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Now to move on to the body. Heres a pic of some of the sun damage on the roof i was telling yall about previously.

And after being block sanded, dents fixed and 1st primed.

Same process repeated on both sides of the body.

Entire body in 1st prime stage.

After primer had cured for a week or so, i started blocking with 220 grit for 2nd priming.

Another angle of the process using a powder called guide coat along the way to show any dents or imperfections along the way i may have missed.

Doors all blocked and taped up for 2nd priming.

And the same for the body.
Old 07-07-16, 06:01 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

We got so busy @ work this was the only pic i was able to get of the 2nd priming process on the trunk. Now just have to wetsand everything with 400 grit and it will be ready for paint!!

Last edited by Hartlex31; 07-11-16 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-07-16, 06:11 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Next i went on to trimming out the undersides of hood, trunk & all the doors. I had the color i wanted already picked out from a job i had sprayed a few weeks back.

Heres a picture of the door jambs completed.

And once they cured like i said before wetsanded with 400 grit, & all taped up. Ready for some color!!

Heres a picture of the body of the car after it was sprayed. Doorjambs abd all in one shot that way theres no ugly tape lines or uneccesary overspray.

& the front of the car. Shot with ppg envirobase- Mercedes Palladium Silver Metallic and cleared with 3 coats of ppg DCU2021 clear. ����
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (10-28-21)
Old 07-07-16, 07:25 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Man that looks sweet, nice choice on the color. Welcome to the club and keep it coming!
Old 07-07-16, 07:29 AM
mugencivic
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i got my ES300 i wasn't feeling it either. but like you said, not many are modified so i figured i'd keep it and mess with it to see what i can do with it.

WOW, i love the progress so far. i personally think that this tone of silver looks great on the 3ES and compliments the car the most (compared to the other colors offered for it). Are you going to paint the entire car the same color or are you going to keep the 2 tone? i think the IS300 gunmetal would look great with the silver if you choose to stay with the 2 tone. i really can't wait to see the car complete!
Old 07-07-16, 10:06 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, & yeah I plan on doing the whole car the same color. I went back and forth on two toning it but Imy getting rid of all the chrome on it and painting black so I figured the monotone would compliment it best.
Old 07-07-16, 10:14 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Closer picture of the finish on it. Not even color sanded and buffed yet.

Trunk after it was sanded, compounded, polished & waxed. Started with 800 grit on a flat block then, 1000, 1500, 2000 & 3000 grit. Pics dont do it justice!!
Old 07-07-16, 10:19 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

On

Another angle of the trunk
Old 07-07-16, 10:28 AM
Hartlex31
Driver School Candidate

Passenger side mirror was broken on it so i ordered an aftermarket replacement one for it.

New new lol

Along with the mirror i picked up a set of replacement headlamps & corners. Like i said before im getting rid of the majority if not all of the chrome so these literally went straight from the box to the oven lol.

One of the lamps after separating and snading & refinishing housings in matte black.

Corner lamps done with same procedure

Side by side to give an idea of how much better it looks IMO
Old 07-07-16, 11:01 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man - you'd be the guy I'D take my car to get painted - GREAT JOB!

Quick Reply: New CL Member: 97 ES300 BUILD...........CUSTOM w/pics