RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is there a way to upgrade the reverse camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 07:56 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Is there a way to upgrade the reverse camera

I like this vehicle but I feel that Lexus cheapened the reverse camera. First it lack guide lines while cheaper vehicles have them. Second, the position of the camera is a poor design. It should had been in the center. My question is did anybody even upgraded or retrofitted this for a better camera?
Old 07-05-16, 07:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

the only thing i noticed about my reverse camera. is the fact that mine doesnt have nav, and when i just recently had a 2015 loaner from my dealer. the car had nav and i noticed a crisper, overall better picture on the screen than mine has. but over all, mine serves its purpose so.....
Old 07-05-16, 08:38 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I doubt a better camera will give you lines as that is not part of the camera but the hardware software. It appears Toyota-Lexus are always 2 steps behind all the other manufacturers with regard to introduction of the latest tech advances.
Old 07-06-16, 11:28 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

my 2013 has what I consider a sub-par rear-view camera. I rented a 2015 Kia Soul, and it had a superior camera...clearer, and with guidelines. Why is it a cheap-a$$ Soul has a better camera than our wonderful RX 350???
The following users liked this post:
NormzGS350 (01-24-22)
Old 07-07-16, 04:28 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a service loaner rx350 2016 which had backup camera and the guide lines as well. But for the most part people just live with it or get used to the low res camera in the older model.
Old 07-07-16, 08:27 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i must be the only one who uses the backup camera as just a general idea of whats going on behind me. HQ or LQ im still looking behind my shoulder when in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
animalfarm (12-18-22)
Old 07-07-16, 02:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I doubt a better camera will give you lines as that is not part of the camera but the hardware software.
I think that may be the case for guidelines that moves according to the steering angle. Those are probably done by the hardware.

However, you can get cameras with fixed guidelines. I recently installed a camera into an ES330 (not an option at the factory) and I bought two models, one with guidelines and one without. The one with guidelines is fixed so it doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel. I tried out each camera for a week and eventually keep the lines.

The camera in the RX works well enough that I probably won't be upgrading.
Old 07-08-16, 05:02 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

While the resolution could be a lot better, the fact that it doesn't have the guidelines IMO is ridiculous. Certainly not a deal breaker but a Lexus should at least have the guidelines.

We have gotten used to it, but my wife will occasionally bring up how she misses the high-res moving guidelines (to be honest the camera was great) she had in her previous ML350's.

Then I'll ask her what she misses more, the ML's hi-res camera or all of the service visits to the MB dealer she made... The conversation usually stops right there.

Last edited by JT4; 07-08-16 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 04:22 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it does seem ridiculous.... I drive a Hyundai Sonata for work and the backup camera is much better. Bah.
Old 07-09-16, 12:35 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
I think that may be the case for guidelines that moves according to the steering angle. Those are probably done by the hardware.

However, you can get cameras with fixed guidelines. I recently installed a camera into an ES330 (not an option at the factory) and I bought two models, one with guidelines and one without. The one with guidelines is fixed so it doesn't change when you turn the steering wheel. I tried out each camera for a week and eventually keep the lines.

The camera in the RX works well enough that I probably won't be upgrading.
I would think any camera with guidelines (even fixed ones) would need tweaking for the specific model in order to be useful. On my old CR-V, the guidelines indicated things like closest point for rear door clearance, etc. There was a factory configuration screen to adjust the lines if needed (which I kept well away from!). I suppose if you just want left, right lines you could have a generic solution, but how does the camera know where your left/right sides are? I suppose most cars are of a standard width.

I think the problem with the RX350 is the placement of the camera being off-center. It would require some trickery to provide the guidelines overlaying an off-center camera view.

I have yet to hit anything while reversing
Old 07-09-16, 06:34 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I too don't like the fact that the camera is not in the center.
Old 07-09-16, 06:54 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

I've found it only useful for deciding how far back to go. The others, including my wife's 2014 Toyota Avalon (you'd think maybe they'd share a camera) offer more 'advice' on parking latererally between two vehicles or parking lines.
Old 09-12-17, 12:46 AM
DweN
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
I like this vehicle but I feel that Lexus cheapened the reverse camera. First it lack guide lines while cheaper vehicles have them. Second, the position of the camera is a poor design. It should had been in the center. My question is did anybody even upgraded or retrofitted this for a better camera?
Recently I saw 3D backup camera for almost all cars with stock monitor. It comes with 4 camera+processing block and wire harnesses.
But I don't know the technical details how to install and if it's compatible with 3RX. Search 3D DVR in aliexpress.
Old 09-12-17, 06:15 AM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

I dont have the nav package in my 2010, so guidelines in the tiny mirror probably wouldnt help much. I really dont need guidelines, but what I do have a gripe with is the fact that when it rains, water beards up on the camera and messes up the view... time to apply some rainX i suppose
Old 09-12-17, 06:59 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Interesting as a 2014 Rav4 LE model without nav has the lines... Plus one for Yoda... lol
IS-350 no lines. But if you can see a pine cone and a squirrel, do I need better resolution?

Quick Reply: Is there a way to upgrade the reverse camera