GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 10:23 AM
eddiemetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?

Hi all:

I've been lurking around here for a while. I bought a 2006 GX470 for a tow vehicle, and like most everyone with the Mark Levingston Nav, have really wanted an aftermarket solution but don't want to tear apart the whole vehicle. I used to own a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT with the exact problem, and some creative folks found a solution in a JDM part. So, wondered if the same solution could work here - put a Prado part in the Lexus. I found this item on Ebay Australia, and thought it looked promising (albeit for a right-hand drive):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-PR...EAAOSwnipWZSOv

The part number is 88650-60612 177600-3010. If you search this part on google there are a number of European listings for the left-hand drive version of the part.

Provided that the climate controls work, I think you would still need a solution to convert the pre-amp outputs from an aftermarket stereo to line level inputs for the Mark Levingston factory amplifier, but I think this already exists.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-16, 08:03 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by eddiemetro
Hi all:

I've been lurking around here for a while. I bought a 2006 GX470 for a tow vehicle, and like most everyone with the Mark Levingston Nav, have really wanted an aftermarket solution but don't want to tear apart the whole vehicle. I used to own a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT with the exact problem, and some creative folks found a solution in a JDM part. So, wondered if the same solution could work here - put a Prado part in the Lexus. I found this item on Ebay Australia, and thought it looked promising (albeit for a right-hand drive):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-PR...EAAOSwnipWZSOv

The part number is 88650-60612 177600-3010. If you search this part on google there are a number of European listings for the left-hand drive version of the part.

Provided that the climate controls work, I think you would still need a solution to convert the pre-amp outputs from an aftermarket stereo to line level inputs for the Mark Levingston factory amplifier, but I think this already exists.

Any thoughts?
I have put Pioneer after market and used this attached trim instead of changing the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?-photo817.jpg  
Old 06-15-16, 08:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I have put Pioneer after market and used this attached trim instead of changing the whole thing.
Do you have nav?
Old 06-15-16, 12:22 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes have navigation which I never use.
Old 06-15-16, 11:44 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The wiring harness is completely different between the NAV and non-NAV vehicles. Getting that control panel to work would be more difficult than it's worth unless you're a glutton for punishment, heh. As I've said and heard many times over, the only real aftermarket choice is to remove the cd changer, move the cassette player to the glove compartment, and install a single-DIN aftermarket unit in the cassette slot, running all new wiring or interfacing to the ML amp:

Old 06-21-16, 07:35 PM
eddiemetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
The wiring harness is completely different between the NAV and non-NAV vehicles. Getting that control panel to work would be more difficult than it's worth unless you're a glutton for punishment, heh. As I've said and heard many times over, the only real aftermarket choice is to remove the cd changer, move the cassette player to the glove compartment, and install a single-DIN aftermarket unit in the cassette slot, running all new wiring or interfacing to the ML amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXYjbNl6ZM
Thanks - I've watched that video and been all over the forums looking for solutions. This is frustrating to me because it seems like a simple wiring harness issue. With Subarus luckily there is a guy who is super knowledgeable about building harnesses and has created solutions for many problems just like this one.

http://ae64.com/WRX-pinout.htm

I was reading through a thread on a different forum where some guys were trying to read through the wiring diagrams between the models to figure it out, but can't find the thread to save my life.
Old 06-27-16, 02:39 AM
808Cruzr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneHiker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXYjbNl6ZM
As a new GX470 owner with the navigation...you have caught my interest. Can you provide some details on how you ran "new wiring or interfacing to the ML amp?" Did you purchase pre-fabricated harnesses from someplace like Crutchfield? If so, can you provide part numbers for those items?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Joel
The following users liked this post:
hope9811 (12-14-19)
Old 06-27-16, 02:40 AM
808Cruzr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddiemetro
Thanks - I've watched that video and been all over the forums looking for solutions. This is frustrating to me because it seems like a simple wiring harness issue. With Subarus luckily there is a guy who is super knowledgeable about building harnesses and has created solutions for many problems just like this one.

http://ae64.com/WRX-pinout.htm

I was reading through a thread on a different forum where some guys were trying to read through the wiring diagrams between the models to figure it out, but can't find the thread to save my life.
eddie,

Do you have the link for that thread in the other forum you were referencing?

Mahalos,
Joel
Old 01-04-18, 01:20 PM
RickyCRX
Driver School Candidate

I know this is a bit of an old thread, at this point, but has anybody tried the system these guys are selling? It looks quite awesome!

https://phoenixandroidradios.com/col...-470-2004-2009
DiabloX22 (01-14-18)
Old 01-04-18, 01:45 PM
kdburtch
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-r...io-alice-jing/

This sceicane radio seems like it might work but would be a big gamble. Id like to hear if any one has put one in with success.
Old 01-04-18, 01:46 PM
kdburtch
Driver School Candidate

is another option.
JAXMichael (09-23-19)
Old 01-04-18, 11:15 PM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyCRX
I know this is a bit of an old thread, at this point, but has anybody tried the system these guys are selling? It looks quite awesome!

There is a guy on FB GXOFFROAD who has been working with the engineer to get that system working with GX470 w/Nav . So far, not working, but close. The guy had a death in the family and had to stop working on it for the time being. I suspect he will get back at it soon and there should be a plug and play solution to aftermarket upgrade for all gx470 nav people.
Old 01-04-18, 11:18 PM
Tdoll
Driver

The problem with these pheonix android systems are that they work with over seas gx, but apparently the US version uses a different amp. So far they have a/c controls working, but no sound. Maybe a reflash and they might have it up and running. We will find out in the next month or two I am betting.
Old 01-05-18, 05:41 AM
kdburtch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Tdoll thats great to know. I have a non-nav unit with a cassette adapter but with all the new phones dropping the 3.5mm port i might be forced to upgrade.

Thanks again
Old 01-05-18, 08:00 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Originally Posted by kdburtch
Thanks Tdoll thats great to know. I have a non-nav unit with a cassette adapter but with all the new phones dropping the 3.5mm port i might be forced to upgrade.

Thanks again
You are very welcome. Also, Pheonix has a Tesla style radio that does work with the non nav GX470. On FB there is a guy with non nav that has one up and running.

Quick Reply: GX470 w/Nav Solution for Aftermarket Stereo?