RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 05:12 PM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

I just discovered my new RX fSport has been leaking oil. It just hit 2000 miles.
It's in the shop now being reviewed. I'm gutted. Has anyone else experienced oil leaks on this new model?

Last edited by fheapes; 05-23-16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 07:22 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Oil leaks is usually caused by assembly during the manufactuer process. Either they forgot to tighten a bolt to spec, misaligned the gasket, or a combination of both. Repairs may mean they have to replace a gasket and i dont know how invasive that is for a V6 but i had the same problem with a BMW 750li years ago that needed the similar repair which required them to take out the engine to replace gasket and some kind of sensor. That BMW had only 800 miles on the odo. Good thing is after the repair there were no leaks until i traded it in for something else at 56,000 miles. So dont worry about it, i am sure your Lexi will be fine after repairs.
Old 05-18-16, 01:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Depending on where the leak is, it can be very invasive.
Old 05-20-16, 05:58 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master tech here,

It is likely a leaking timing cover. Lexus seems to have problems with this engine redesign, and some covers aren't getting enough sealant. The engine will need to be removed for this repair to be performed.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotADood:
kanchi868 (12-20-19), Skisurf1 (12-27-22)
Old 05-23-16, 06:11 PM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

NotaDood - The car has been in the shop for a week now - Scheduled to be ready Thursday.
Is the anything I should be concerned with from having the engine removed on a new car??...
Old 05-24-16, 05:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fheapes
NotaDood - The car has been in the shop for a week now - Scheduled to be ready Thursday.
Is the anything I should be concerned with from having the engine removed on a new car??...
If repairs are done by Lexus i wouldnt worry about anything. If Lexus repaired it they are responsible for any mistakes, damage, or problems they caused by taking engine out.

When you recieved the car back make sure you take a thourogh look inside and out to see if there are any damage to your vehicle visually whether its ripped leather seats, scratched paint on the fenders, damage to anythink in and under the engine bay and any loose trim pieces in and around your car. Dont forget to check your wheels too for damage.

When you take your car home make sure to turn off all fans and music off and listen for strange sounds then turn you music on to see if anythings changed and also test your cars air conditioning and interior heating.

When i had my BMW engine removed for repairs they left two small scratches on fender and ripped my leather steering wheel from behind so cannot see the rip unless i touch it while driving. The good thing is that i inspected the vehicle before i took it home and made the complaint right then and there so they fixed everything for me at no charge. But once you drive off any cosmetic damage is your responsibility, dealer will most likely blame you so watch out.
Old 05-28-16, 07:50 AM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Default All has been resolved

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus Master tech here,

It is likely a leaking timing cover. Lexus seems to have problems with this engine redesign, and some covers aren't getting enough sealant. The engine will need to be removed for this repair to be performed.

Good call NotaDood - You were correct; Lexus found the timing cover to be the cause of the leak.
They removed the engine to gain access to the cover, cleaned and resealed. All appears 100% now.
Apparently there is a batch of RX's that may have this issue from an assemble hiccup. I was told that during assemble oil dripped from a robot/machine onto the gasket / seal which prevented the seal from functioning..causing the leak.

Lexus handled this incident with great concern and professionalism.. which is the primary reason I continue to buy Lexus and use their Service.

Last edited by fheapes; 05-29-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 09:26 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call NotaDood - You were correct; Lexus found the timing cover to be the cause of the leak.
They removed the engine to gain access to the cover, cleaned and resealed. All appears 100% now.
Apparently there is a batch of RX's that may have this issue from an assemble hiccup. I was told that during assemble oil dripped from a robot/machine onto the gasket / seal which prevented the seal from functioning..causing the leak.

Lexus handled this incident with great concern and professionalism.. which is primary reason I continue to buy Lexus and use their Service.
If you don't mind, could you please share the build date of your RX?
Old 05-28-16, 03:00 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy84
Yes, given a 'batch of them' are affected... your build date and factory location would be helpful.
Old 05-28-16, 05:46 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Could be worse (http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...-v6-oil-leaks/ ).
Old 05-30-16, 08:33 AM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

2/16 Cambridge Ontario.
Old 05-30-16, 09:25 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2/16 Cambridge Ontario.
Thank you for sharing the information, I will be taking delivery of a 4RX F-sport either Thursday or Friday this week and will make sure to compare.
Old 05-31-16, 03:17 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 363 Posts

Thank you for sharing the information, I will be taking delivery of a 4RX F-sport either Thursday or Friday this week and will make sure to compare.
If you are getting it this week, then it should have a build date of 05/16.
Old 07-04-16, 09:21 AM
AJD
5th Gear

2/16 Cambridge Ontario.
I have the same build date. Which NJ dealer did the repair?
Old 11-20-16, 05:12 PM
ZelmanGSM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there, I just took my 2016 RX350 for service and was told it was leaking oil from the timing chain cover.

how is your RX doing?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak