GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 02:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

From Tirerack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...surveyComments

I suspect we can't compare scores from one category to the other?

Old 06-01-16, 03:03 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom450
I have 18k miles on my OEM Dunlops and they ride very rough and have always been very noisy. Thinking of replacing them for a smoother ride. Are the newer MXM4's or P7's better for ride smoothness. My spirited driving is probably equal to most GS owners normal driving��. Will get them from Lexus so if they screw up during the mounting they will fix it such as the tire pressure sensors.

Avoid the MXM4's. Premature treat and wall cracking after 3 years or so is common according to the tire shop guy that I talked to. They're a good chunk more expensive too. If you're looking for comfort.. the P7's are better for that anyways.

Michellin has the new Premier A/S which has gotten really good reviews, but they don't have the size we need for our cars.
Old 06-01-16, 03:12 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I got the Bridgestone PP 04 reading the reviews in 245/40/19 , a lot better ride then the factory Bridegstone 050A Rft.
Old 06-01-16, 07:36 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Prinny - I'm curious how big of a performance gap there is between the MXM4 & the P7. Is it significant? Does the P7 provide better traction overall? Does it perform better in the rain?

I realize that you just got a new set of tires, but I would appreciate if you could answer these questions once you get some more mileage on them and have a chance to drive in various weather conditions.

Thank you in advance,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 06-02-16, 03:08 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced the Dunlops that came on my 13 350 with Kumho Ecsta 4x IIs. I've used them before, on different cars. Quieter, better handling wet or dry, and lasts longer. IMHO a good balance between performance and comfort.
Old 06-02-16, 06:53 AM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I see references to the older MXM4 cracking. Does this mean they all crack after time or is it an older version that cracks and has been replaced with a newer version that does not tend to crack over time.
Old 06-02-16, 03:53 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Prinny - I'm curious how big of a performance gap there is between the MXM4 & the P7. Is it significant? Does the P7 provide better traction overall? Does it perform better in the rain?

I realize that you just got a new set of tires, but I would appreciate if you could answer these questions once you get some more mileage on them and have a chance to drive in various weather conditions.

Thank you in advance,

~ Im2bz2p345

No problem lol. The performance gap isn't significant enough to bother. I only thing I noticed a little bit was while making harder turns that it didn't feel as comfortable, but that was initially and I don't really notice it anymore now. The MXM4's were okay in the rain for me, but the P7s definitely do have better traction overall. Rain is no problem. Didn't feel a difference between the roads being wet compared with the roads being dry.

I'll keep posting updates from time to time as I put more miles on these.

Originally Posted by Tom450
I see references to the older MXM4 cracking. Does this mean they all crack after time or is it an older version that cracks and has been replaced with a newer version that does not tend to crack over time.

Maybe they corrected that in the newer versions. I'm not too sure. The guy at the tire shop said that he has seen this happen fairly often lately from other models as well. I have a newer one that I didn't throw out that's a little less than 2 years old that hasn't cracked yet, but that's still too early to determine anything especially since the tire looks pretty new.

Last edited by Prinny; 06-02-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 09:46 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Gang, looking to get either an ES350 or GS350 used. Like the GS but concerned about the ride. I drove a used '13 with 17 inch tires (Looks like they eliminated the 17's at some point???) and they were pretty loud and the ride wasn't the greatest. I believe the tires were Goodyear LS2's and looked like probably 6 at best on the tread. In researching on tirerack, looks like these are pretty poor tires for this car. Seen a lot of positive comments about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Would switching to this tire make that big a difference in noise and comfort. I do of course understand this is a more performance oriented car versus the ES350 but just trying to guage how bad the GY's made my test ride today.
Old 08-17-16, 11:11 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
Hey Gang, looking to get either an ES350 or GS350 used. Like the GS but concerned about the ride. I drove a used '13 with 17 inch tires (Looks like they eliminated the 17's at some point???) and they were pretty loud and the ride wasn't the greatest. I believe the tires were Goodyear LS2's and looked like probably 6 at best on the tread. In researching on tirerack, looks like these are pretty poor tires for this car. Seen a lot of positive comments about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Would switching to this tire make that big a difference in noise and comfort. I do of course understand this is a more performance oriented car versus the ES350 but just trying to guage how bad the GY's made my test ride today.
ES will be your best bet if your looking for comfort , I have GS F sports and it doesn't ride like the typical Lexus soft cushion but coming from Bmw I don't mind but when I ride my brothers LS460 that's what a comfort Lexus is known for.
Old 08-18-16, 11:24 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I ended up going with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 's on my GS. Stock tire size, stock wheels. They are quieter than the OEM Michelin MXM4's. Grip seems to be very similar. Can't say they are better yet but i've only pushed them once. The steering feels abit lighter or twitchier vs the michelin's. Not a big difference but i noticed it a bit. Might have to check tire pressure. for 2/3 the price of Michelin's, and they are rated for light snow and more mileage, I'm happy.
Old 12-02-16, 03:24 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

UPDATE:

I'm at 47700 miles right now. No regrets at all. Feels about the same.. not sure if road noise went up a little bit from the beginning of if it's my imagination, but so far so good. MPG is a tad bit better. Maybe 1 mpg at max or something, but it's not very significant. Comfort is fine and traction in the rain is great as well. Drove through heavy rain and never had any issues. I may try out the DWS06's later on, but I really like these. They make the long commute to and from work more bearable. They aren't performance tires so just don't expect to do anything too crazy with them lol.
Old 12-02-16, 08:36 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
UPDATE:
I'm at 47700 miles right now. No regrets at all. Feels about the same.. not sure if road noise went up a little bit from the beginning of if it's my imagination, but so far so good. MPG is a tad bit better. Maybe 1 mpg at max or something, but it's not very significant. Comfort is fine and traction in the rain is great as well. Drove through heavy rain and never had any issues. I may try out the DWS06's later on, but I really like these. They make the long commute to and from work more bearable. They aren't performance tires so just don't expect to do anything too crazy with them lol.
Thanks for this update on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires Prinny. How many miles total have you put on them? You mentioned 47K miles, but I am assuming that is your vehicle's odometer reading, not the amount of miles put on these tires.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. I may switch to these after the tread of my OEM Michelin's wears off.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-02-16, 10:32 AM
jinino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GregCanada - any comment on your DWS06 from your 4 month drive?
Old 12-02-16, 03:44 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Thanks for this update on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires Prinny. How many miles total have you put on them? You mentioned 47K miles, but I am assuming that is your vehicle's odometer reading, not the amount of miles put on these tires.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. I may switch to these after the tread of my OEM Michelin's wears off.

~ Im2bz2p345

No problem lol. I tried to look back to see the exact mileage I have on them, but it's more of a hassle that I had expected.. may have to go find the receipts that I filed away. I drive a lot so I believe that it's safe to assume that i've put on at least 6k+ miles on these tires.

They definitely wouldn't be a bad choice over the OEM Michelin's.
Old 12-02-16, 11:20 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched out the brand new, cheap tires that were on the '13 GS I bought (tires were Fuzion brand, I think). Put on P7's and it was like driving a completely different car. Noise difference was the most noticeable, and I'm guessing handling and grip were just as different if I would have had a chance to compare them (swapped them in my first week of ownership).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new tires?