RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Low brake power light, RX not starting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 06:00 AM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low brake power light, RX not starting?

Has anyone else had issues with their brakes? In December shortly after purchasing my car it began throwing a "low brake power" light in the mornings. I would get in and the brake wouldn't go down to allow me to start the car. I was able to override by holding the start button and after the car was driven it wasn't an issue until the next morning. I took it in and they replaced some tube that was leaking. 4 months later I'm having the same issue. I get in the car and the brake refuses to go down to allow me to start the car. Back to the dealer I go..........
The following users liked this post:
Maryjo (04-08-20)
Old 05-03-16, 06:48 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

No problems so far, but my 3RX would not let me start the car from time to time. It was like the brake pedal was frozen. You could not push down on the brake. No warning lights. Had to push very hard on the brake to get it to start
Old 05-20-16, 06:04 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,

Lexus is aware of the issue, and a new brake booster will need to be installed. The vacuum reserve is losing vacuum overnight. The ABS/VSC computer picks up on this, and thows the code.
Old 05-20-16, 06:16 PM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Yes. I'm on my second replacement.
Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus Master Tech here,

Lexus is aware of the issue, and a new brake booster will need to be installed. The vacuum reserve is losing vacuum overnight. The ABS/VSC computer picks up on this, and thows the code.
Old 05-20-16, 06:36 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
Yes. I'm on my second replacement.
problem is that a counter-measured part has not been released, so at this point, it's basically luck of the draw until the new one is released.
Old 05-20-16, 08:05 PM
Jorgenamm
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, since they told me my recent replacement had the counter measure. Guess I'll wait and see.

problem is that a counter-measured part has not been released, so at this point, it's basically luck of the draw until the new one is released.
Old 05-21-16, 09:08 PM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem as well. Dealer replaced the brake booster about a month ago and no issue so far. Dealer told me it may become a recall at some point.

Originally Posted by Jorgenamm
Has anyone else had issues with their brakes? In December shortly after purchasing my car it began throwing a "low brake power" light in the mornings. I would get in and the brake wouldn't go down to allow me to start the car. I was able to override by holding the start button and after the car was driven it wasn't an issue until the next morning. I took it in and they replaced some tube that was leaking. 4 months later I'm having the same issue. I get in the car and the brake refuses to go down to allow me to start the car. Back to the dealer I go..........
Old 05-22-16, 01:37 PM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had this happen twice I think. If they don't have a permanent fix yet, I don't see a point of replacing parts for it to come back yet again. More times they tinker with car, more chances dealer messes up something.
Old 05-24-16, 01:00 PM
Gleevec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me this morning-- brake was stiff and I got that error. Tried again and everything else went OK. Didnt happen since though (3 starts since).
Old 05-24-16, 01:01 PM
Gleevec
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this, any idea when the new part will be out (and what name of the part is)?
Old 05-24-16, 01:21 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So every RX have to get fix with this new parts, once it's get release?
Old 05-26-16, 08:30 AM
rothjw
Driver School Candidate

Had the same problem with brake power low in the morning and it would not allow the car to start. The dealer said it was a leak in the brake booster, they replaced that and no recurrence of issue yet, so far 45 days since repaired. This happened after only 4 months and less than 3,000 miles on new car.
Old 06-08-16, 12:26 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

mine did the same. Did anyone take a picture? I have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. It has happened several times but I did not take a picture.
Old 06-09-16, 04:17 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

the rx is at the dealer today being checked. Lets see what happens.
Old 08-17-16, 11:13 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got the "Low Brake Power" message this morning for the first time. I drove the car cautiously around our neighborhood testing it and it seemed fine. I have restarted the car 2 times and driven it since this morning with no message showing up, debating if I should schedule an appointment or not. Right now I'm leaning to the wait it out and if it occurs a 2nd time bring it in to the dealership. For those interested, we have a RX 350 AWD F-sport purchased early June and originally assembled in May with about 1200 miles so far.

Quick Reply: Low brake power light, RX not starting?