Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 08:51 AM
Onisar123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crack in Exhaust Manifold...

Hey Everyone,

So I believe I have a crack in the Exhaust Manifold... When I rev the car I can hear a slight tick. I had taken it to a shop to do a muffler delete and said that there may be a leak or crack somewhere. The tech said it wasnt too bad but it may be something to keep an eye on. My question is, what would be the best route to go? Is this a common issue with the ISF? I was thinking if it was also possible if it may just be the gasket, which the tech also said it could be.

I have a 2008 model with about 113k miles on it. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-01-16, 09:07 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Onisar123
Hey Everyone,

So I believe I have a crack in the Exhaust Manifold... When I rev the car I can hear a slight tick. I had taken it to a shop to do a muffler delete and said that there may be a leak or crack somewhere. The tech said it wasnt too bad but it may be something to keep an eye on. My question is, what would be the best route to go? Is this a common issue with the ISF? I was thinking if it was also possible if it may just be the gasket, which the tech also said it could be.

Mine is an 08, and a similar issue was reported by the previous owner.. I saw on the service history that they found a leak in the exhaust manifold 'cracked flange'.

If they can confirm, then I guess its headers time?
Old 04-01-16, 12:23 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a small crack in mine as well when I did my header install. Car had a 125k at the time
Old 04-01-16, 02:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have heard of multiple cases of this. I was hoping it wasnt legit. I guess it is. It would be a great reason to take the header plunge. I wonder about mine with all of the INSANE track work my car does, but she still only has 45k on her. Fingers crossed. Best of luck
Old 04-02-16, 07:57 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Would a crack in the manifold produce a smell similar to one from the catalytic converter is removed? still trying to figure out where that smell is coming from before I get emission testing done
Old 04-02-16, 10:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have heard of multiple cases of this. I was hoping it wasnt legit. I guess it is. It would be a great reason to take the header plunge. I wonder about mine with all of the INSANE track work my car does, but she still only has 45k on her. Fingers crossed. Best of luck
It's probably going to be a more common problem as these cars get older..

Here is my 2008 RH manifold w/117k miles daily driven, pipe cracked right off and remaining piece fused itself to the floating flange..

No leaks at the gaskets. They were clean.

The tricking sound for me was prominent on every first start.. The sound and leak is identified by the carbon black soot. Hidden by the manifold heat shield..!!

Pictures from my last visit to the dealership.

After a battle with Extended Warranty, they finally covered the new parts & labor.

Joe Z
Old 04-03-16, 12:40 PM
svtec
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread I feel like I have something similar going on..

I get a slight egg smell when I go wot, it slowly dissipates as I continue driving.

Looks like I have a reason to buy an aftermarket header now..
Old 04-03-16, 01:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The 4AG engines in the Mk1 MR2s had exhaust manifold issues as well. This would not be a first for Toyota at all. It makes me wonder about the random ticking noise problem...
Old 04-03-16, 03:30 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by svtec
After reading this thread I feel like I have something similar going on..

I get a slight egg smell when I go wot, it slowly dissipates as I continue driving.

Looks like I have a reason to buy an aftermarket header now..
I get the same thing too with a stock exhaust and as far as I know all four cats intact.
Old 04-03-16, 03:42 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Apparently the rotten egg smell is normal. It's hydrogen sulfide which under cooler conditions in the cat will attach itself to the surface of it. Once you WOT you heat the material inside of the cat and it desorbs and exits out of the tail pipe in a fairly high concentration. After running hard for a bit it should go away.

"As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell! This effect is a common problem with new vehicles because the catalyst is working at a very high efficiency. However, as the catalyst gets older, the activity drops. Fortunately for us, one of the first reactions to be affected is the formation of hydrogen sulfide. So as the catalyst gets older, the smell will go away. It should also be noted that many catalysts never smell bad. One reason might be because the vehicle doesn't run lean for much of the time, or perhaps the catalyst has an extra component that reduces the production of hydrogen sulfide."

http://www.swri.org/10light/catalyst.htm

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 04-03-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:33 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How easy is it to check and spot if there are cracks on the manifold? Do I need to remove everything just to check? I have an exhaust smell right when I fire up the engine that lingers.
Old 04-12-16, 05:40 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. I have had a tick since I got the car primarily before it's warmed up. The master tech at lexus just noted it as a minor exhaust leak. I had assumed that it was probably just a bad gasket, but maybe it's cracked. +1 on the above question. Is there any possible way without removing the manifold completely? At that point with labor I might as well install aftermarket headers.
Old 04-12-16, 06:11 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

You could always purchase a camera snake. They're fairly inexpensive these days and useful (though not easy to use depending on app) for a lot of different things.
Old 04-13-16, 11:11 AM
Onisar123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have had the ticking since I had bought the car... Looks like many people have reported the issue. If its a small crack, would this issue be something that should be fixed/replaced right away? I have been driving with no issues for some time. But, like someone else had mentioned there are times I will get that rotten egg smell once every now and then when flooring the car.
Old 04-13-16, 06:37 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

I also have had the ticking since I had bought the car... Looks like many people have reported the issue. If its a small crack, would this issue be something that should be fixed/replaced right away? I have been driving with no issues for some time. But, like someone else had mentioned there are times I will get that rotten egg smell once every now and then when flooring the car.
And that's a normal smell for high efficiency catalytic converters. The chemical reactions ebb and flow with temperature increases and decreases.

Quick Reply: Crack in Exhaust Manifold...