Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Complete Suspension Refresh/Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 08:10 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Complete Suspension Refresh/Overhaul

After 18 years and 132k miles, I've decided to say screw it and replace everything. I've only done balljoints so far in 2010 at 60k miles, so I'll probably redo them now. Can you guys recommend who to go to for each of the following? I might even just do OEM if its better to. The car will be staying with me until it gives out.

Balljoints - OEM
Steering Rack Bushings - Daizen/TM?
Control Arms (upper and lower) - ?
Control Arm Bushings - ?
Castor Arms - ?

Am I missing anything else?
Do I do the rears too?
I'm a noob with the suspension. Don't know too much but I think castor and control arms are the same? Whats the complete name for each of these parts and are there alternate names for them?

Last edited by LexusK; 03-15-16 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-15-16, 11:07 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for starting this - I also incidentally have just a touch above 132K miles!
Old 03-15-16, 11:54 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
After 18 years and 132k miles, I've decided to say screw it and replace everything. I've only done balljoints so far in 2010 at 60k miles, so I'll probably redo them now. Can you guys recommend who to go to for each of the following? I might even just do OEM if its better to. The car will be staying with me until it gives out.

Balljoints - OEM
Steering Rack Bushings - Daizen/TM?
Control Arms (upper and lower) - ?
Control Arm Bushings - ?
Castor Arms - ?

Am I missing anything else?
Do I do the rears too?
I'm a noob with the suspension. Don't know too much but I think castor and control arms are the same? Whats the complete name for each of these parts and are there alternate names for them?
You should check out figs engineering for all your bushings. There is a upper control arm, lower control arm#1, and lower control arm#2(castor arm). The only other thing to change while you're in there, besides what you already listed is the stabilzer bar end links- you could go with moog brand for those, ball joints, and upper control arms.
Old 03-16-16, 12:06 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

^^ also do tie rods
Old 03-16-16, 04:15 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about springs/shocks/struts?
Old 03-16-16, 09:39 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by airahcaz
What about springs/shocks/struts?
Forgot about those
Old 03-16-16, 12:01 PM
LexusK
Racer

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
You should check out figs engineering for all your bushings. There is a upper control arm, lower control arm#1, and lower control arm#2(castor arm). The only other thing to change while you're in there, besides what you already listed is the stabilzer bar end links- you could go with moog brand for those, ball joints, and upper control arms.
So are these all the parts that I need to replace?

Balljoints - Moog

Upper Control Arms - Moog
Upper Control (bushing) - Figs

Lower Control Arms 1
Lower Control Arms 1 (bushing) - Figs
Lower Control Arms 2 aka Castor Arm
Lower Control Arms 2 aka Castor Arm (bushing) - Figs

Stabilizer Bar End Links - Moog

Tie Rods
Old 03-16-16, 02:18 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

^^ yup. You won't need figs upper control arm bushings cause there's already new bushings in the moog arms. Also, with the figs bushings you need to have them pressed into your old control arms, so you don't need to buy new arms.
Old 03-16-16, 04:46 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Yeah, but if they want to install stiffer bushings from Figs, upgrade the new arms, not the old arms, because the old arms have old balljoints.
Old 03-17-16, 01:18 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by firelizard
Yeah, but if they want to install stiffer bushings from Figs, upgrade the new arms, not the old arms, because the old arms have old balljoints.
I guess I should have specified lol. Reuse your lower control arm#1 & lower control arm#2.
Old 03-17-16, 11:56 AM
LexusK
Racer

I am confused lol.

Could you guys copy and paste my list and put which part to get? Moog, Figs, Keep old one or get new one?
Old 03-17-16, 11:58 AM
LexusK
Racer

MrJokester recommended these:

I just replaced ALL my joints up front with moog. And OH BOY what an amazing difference! I've replaced before with oem and I must say these actually are much better! Did both the inner and outer tie rods and lower ball joints with the moog. If you do go with moog, PLEASE remember to put grease in the lower ball joints, them come dry, but come with the grease kit to do it. I forgot! LoL shame on me. Get it all from AUTO PARTS EXPRESS. Less than half the price where you'd get them else where. I got inner/outer tie rods, new boots and both ball joints for $200 shipped. (free shipping when over $200) I have side by side pics of the parts compared to oem and the ball joints are actually thicker than oem, so I would assume stronger. The inner tie rods are a few mm thicker and the outers are about the same. I can get you all the part numbers when I get home if you'd like

Driver Side Outer Tie Rod - ES80585
Passenger Side Outer Tie Rod - ES80584
Inner Tie Rod - EV80600 (x2)
RH Lower Ball Joint - K500101
LH Lower Ball Joint - K500102
RH Upper Control Arm - RK620335 (check ebay for better pricing)
LH Upper Control Arm - RK620336 (check ebay for better pricing)
Inner Tie Rod Boot - 1032880 (x2) Not Moog, its Beck/Arnley, very good quality
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusK:
DarthBacon (03-06-19), edzyy (01-24-17), Neil64 (04-11-17)
Old 03-17-16, 04:20 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexusK
I am confused lol.

Could you guys copy and paste my list and put which part to get? Moog, Figs, Keep old one or get new one?
Mr jokester knows his s***. He was a great help to me when I changed all this stuff for my first time last summer.
Old 03-18-16, 06:11 AM
LexusK
Racer

So everything he listed is everything I listed? I don't want to miss anything. Just wanna get it all done at once.

EDIT: I just checked the site that MrJokester recommended and all of the items don't let you choose a quantity. If you look, everything is a 0. I can add to my cart, but it's still kinda weird that you can't choose a quantity before going into the cart.

Last edited by LexusK; 03-18-16 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-19-16, 08:32 AM
LexusK
Racer

So on Amazon, when you type in these part numbers, it'll give you MOOG and Prime Choice Auto Parts brands. The pictures are the exact same. I called up PCAP and they said that it is their own brand. It was mostly focused in Canada but they expanded it. Its definitely much cheaper than MOOG. The girl I talked to said that these part numbers I was giving her was specific to the 2GS and there have only been a few complaints, mostly from people ordering wrong parts or normal wear and tear.

It looks like RockAuto is cheaper than autopartsexpress and amazon. Total comes out to be $441.72 for all the parts that Mr.Jokester listed. Guess prices have gone up in the past 4 years lol.

Last edited by LexusK; 03-19-16 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Complete Suspension Refresh/Overhaul