LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My favorite Oil and Filter Combo - Bar None!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 06:31 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My favorite Oil and Filter Combo - Bar None!

Mobil One 0W-40 European Formula
Mahle OC 338 Oil Filter. (See my other post on this filter)

The latest oils contain less zinc in order to meet environmental concerns. So a lot of marketing has gone into all kinds of names like "Extended MIleage", etc. Mobil One is no different, but they do have one oil that is designed to go 3 years, or 18,000 miles, and it is their 0W-40 European Formula that is available at Walmart for about $25 bucks for 5 quarts:

Why ONLY this particular oil:

It's the "zinc" the baby! For ultimate protection regardless of environmental concerns, ZINC is the answer!

Then there is the HTHS High-Temperature/High-Shear.

This should be greater than 3.5. Mobil One 0W-40 is 3.8 HTHS.

BMW LL-01 requires HTHS to be above 3.5. Most synthetic oils today fall well below that requirement. BMW suggests oil changes at 15k miles and then 30k kilometers (18k miles) after that so the oil has to be really, really, good!

HTHS Test spec's: .

This test is a simulation of the shearing effects that would occur within an engine. In fact, it's actually designed to simulate motor oil viscosity in operating crankshaft bearings.

Under high stress conditions where shearing can occur, the VI Improvers (polymers) break down. As they do, the viscosity of the oil decreases. This is what the High Temperature/High Shear test checks for.

So high zinc and high HTHS at $5 a quart is a STEAL!!! at Walmart. Buy it by the Truckload! None of their other oils meet these std's. Only the 0W-40

The HT/HS test is measured in Centipoise (cP) as the Cold Crank Simulator test is. However, in this case, because you're hoping for the least loss of viscosity with an increase in heat and stress, you want the cP value to remain high.

HTHS is a balance between fuel economy and protection. Too high of an HTHS and you lower fuel economy, too low, and you reduce wear protection.

Within the oil industry, the big issue is with low HTHS figures (those below 3.5). As Lubrizol states:

A critical issue for the oil industry is how misapplication of low HTHS viscosity oils will be avoided. The use of low HTHS oils will save fuel in engines designed for their use but could lead to excessive premature wear in some engines.

Engine manufacturers are evaluating their hardware to see if engine durability, especially for ring and liner scuffing is an issue with low HTHS viscosity oils so they can take advantage of the engine lubricant delivering improved FE to meet the new US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) FE and GHG requirements

So, if you're trying to squeeze every mile out of your gallon of gas, then go with a sub 3.5 HTHS oil, if you're most concerned about wear on the internal components, then seek out an oil with >3.5 HTHS.

Why offer
Old 12-12-15, 06:35 PM
grunner58
Driver

So we know to look for motor oil that is > 3.5 HTHS.

What about viscosity?

The BMW 5W-30, LL-01, at 100 Celsius (212 Fahrenheit) = 12.2 cSt viscosity rating; (heavy weight = 10 - 12.5cSt@100c) (thin weight = < 10 cSt@ 100c)

Mobil 1 0W-40 = 14.3 cSt @100C

Their Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance = 10.2 cSt @ 100C (A much lighter weight oil than 0W-40)

So, folks, I am telling you, that Mobil 1, 0W-40, at Walmart for $24.97, 5 quart jug, is highway robbery.

It might (slightly) rob you of some MPG's, but, come on! We're trying to save that $18,000 motor from unnecessary wear; aren't we?

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to gradual deformation by shear stress or tensile stress. For liquids, it corresponds to the informal notion of "thickness". For example, honey has a higher viscosity than water.

I am in favor of engine bearing protection over MPG's.

With Mobil 1 0W-40, you have a lot of oil "thickness" between surfaces at high temp's.

I vote "yes" for that!

Stock up for ALL of your vehicles at this price. I certainly have!

Worried about Cold Starts? 0W-40 has a pour rating of -45 degrees celsius.

So you are covered on those cold Northern nights.
Old 12-12-15, 06:40 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If viscosity is so important, why don't we just put grease in our engines? Surely grease is thick enough to protect our components?
Old 12-12-15, 06:43 PM
grunner58
Driver

Old 12-12-15, 06:44 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by airchomper
If viscosity is so important, why don't we just put grease in our engines? Surely grease is thick enough to protect our components?
You want grease at 0 degrees or at any temp during startup? In Chicago, we called it pudding when it was zero out and the oil really didn't flow. Grease would NOT be good at any temp!
Old 12-12-15, 06:59 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

But I thought the viscosity protected the engine from wear? What's higher viscosity than grease? Honey?
Old 12-13-15, 05:16 AM
grunner58
Driver

So when you add it all up, Mobil One 0W-40 European Formula at around $5 quart cannot be beat.

Viscosity at higher temps: 14.3 cSt @100C OIl remains thick enough to fully protect.

HTHS High-Temperature/High-Shear: You want high MPG's and protection combination. Score 3.8 HT/HS (BMW is at 3.5 HT/HS on their 18,000 mile oil).

And you have the zinc component at 1100ppm providing that exceptional protection.

Yes, there are other oils that can perform very close, but not at Walmart, and not around $5 quart. You need to go with German or Race Oils to get close and they're all well past $8 quart.
Old 12-13-15, 06:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Toyota has not approved 0w 40 or 0w 20 for the 430 and I am hesitant to use this oil. Though I was just looking at it yesterday when I grabbed another 6 quarts of 5w 30.

I suggest you checkout BTOG forum and maybe have some lab test done between oil. The PUP in the black jug is also very popular but hard to find.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-13-15 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 08:27 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to use the 5w30 and want the high zinc levels and other anti wear properties royal purple HPS oil is what I started running.
Old 12-13-15, 11:11 AM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

how does it perform versus Amsoil European issue?
I thought sulfur was the big destroyer of engines
Old 12-13-15, 03:02 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by semar
how does it perform versus Amsoil European issue?
I thought sulfur was the big destroyer of engines
If you want zinc, Amsoil Z Rod has more than what he posted above. It has 1440ppm...Among the highest on the market.

The European formula has 1100ppm.

Used to use it in my old air cooled 911.

Last edited by RRocket; 12-13-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 06:50 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Toyota actually backrated the 1UZ VVT-i and 3UZ for 0w-20. I've run Toyota Genuine 0w-20 for the past 15k miles and gotten really good milage, and it starts very easily in the cold. I have an oil analysis that shows minimal wear on a 7.5k oci but the oil got pretty thin.

I don't really drive fast, and Toyota's 0w-20 is the thinnest oil on the market at 0 degrees F which is a pretty common temperature at night here.

It doesn't have high Zinc, but it does have an incredible amount of molybdenum which helps ensure that metals will slip rather than scratch against each other if anything happens to the oil film.

Although the levels of Zinc in modern oils are probably safe (max of about 1400 ppm). Some experts think that zinc negatively affects the life of catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Which are pricey to repair. If you just care about Zinc, consider Rotella T6 5w-40, it's a very high zinc oil and very inexpensive.

But satire aside, 40w oil might be inappropriately thick for our cars. Thicker oil conducts heat more poorly, and induces friction into the engine. It's probably fine to do so, but I haven't seen any evidence (in the form of used oil analyses) that show lower wear with 40w oils than 30w oils. In fact, my 20w oil wore very well so I imagine that an oil that hits the spec like a 5-30 would wear very well.

The 'safest' choice in our cars is definitely a quality 5w30 that meets the API standards - I like Mobil 1 because it's relatively cheap.
Old 12-13-15, 07:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Can you provide the link or article showing the backdating. The last one I saw did not show this. The weight of the oil also affects variable valve timing.

0w 20-40 is not said to be compatible

For older engines, Toyota announced 5w20 oil is backward compatible. The slightly thinner oil provides a small increase in fuel economy and reduces emissions.

Per Toyota service bulletin T-TCI-2449, you may use ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w20 in the following US specification engines:

1AZ-FE 2.0L
2AZ-FE 2.4L
2AZ-FXE 2.4L
1GR-FE 4.0L
2GR-FE 3.5L
2GR-FXE 3.5L
1MZ-FE 3.0L
3MZ-FE 3.3L
1NZ-FE 1.5L
1NZ-FXE 1.5L
2UZ-FE 4.7L
1ZZ-FE 1..8L

Per Lexus service bulletin EG006-06 you may use ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w20 oil in any Lexus equipped with an above-listed engine in addition to the:

2GR-FSE 3.5L
3GR-FSE 3.0L
4GR-FSE 2.5L
1UZ-FE 4.0L
3UZ-FE 4.3L
2JZ-FE 3.0L
2VZ-FE 2.5L
3VZ-FE 3.0L

Toyotas equipped with a 2JZ, 2VZ or 3VZ do not meet the requirements to be compatible with 5w20 weight oil. Only those engines from Lexus are approved for 5w20 weight oil.

For all other engines, CARspec recommends you follow the recommendation in your owner’s manual for oil weight and quality. This will also be on the oil cap for your vehicle.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-13-15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 07:26 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Can you provide the link or article showing the backdating. The last one I saw did not show this. The weight of the oil also affects variable valve timing.
The oil probably affects the VVT-i but not as much as other implementations like Vtec. Either way, they're not that sensitive. The difference between cold and hot oil is much more dramatic than the difference between 20 and 40 weight oil at operating temperature. And our VVT systems work when the engine is cold.

, there are a ton of youtube videos about the system though.

The chart is harder to find. Unfortunately. Here's a link to a google search, the highest resolution chart is unavilable. But if you're fine with zooming, this is the best version I could find.

If you squint, you'll see that the LS400/LS430 are only rated for 5w-30. But the GS400/GS430 with identical engines can accept 5w-30 or 5w-20 or 0w-20.

Here's a link to my UOA.
Old 12-13-15, 08:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

A little too thin for my taste. Various articles I have read don't backdate 0 weight oil for the ls430. The links you provided I can't really read but from what I have found Toyota / Lexus has never backdated this oil for the 430. If they say yes for the GS and no for the LS there must be a reason why.

Quick Reply: My favorite Oil and Filter Combo - Bar None!