RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 10:48 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrider
My dealer did the same thing. Ordered a second trim piece, but it was just as off center as the first one. They said that there was nothing that could do about it and refused any more help. I agree, very disappointing quality control from what I was led to believe was a company that was very much into the attention to detail that it takes to be a luxury automobile auto maker.

They even refused my request to have someone in their shop trim the piece a little so that the hitch was centered in the cutout.....still refusal. I am not happy! FYI it is Lexus of Tacoma, WA
I just got my 2017 RX 450h delivered with the tow hitch. The hitch cutout was also off centered. I will post pictures later this week. I am still debating to take it back and argue about it or just try to trim it myself. Seems that it is a common problem and going back to the dealer is not going to fix it.
Old 11-30-16, 01:23 PM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is just really sad that a luxury car manufacturer like Lexus has such poor quality control. Their "brand" is all about quality and customer satisfaction. I can see that this is not just an isolated incident, since the same thing happened to you. I would hope that Lexus will see this kind of thing and make appropriate changes.....because it does matter to us customers!
Old 11-30-16, 05:09 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 521 Likes on 373 Posts

We have two 4RX' in the family, both with OEM hitch installed by the dealer. I don't see any issue with off center trim piece. Did you get they original piece from the dealer?
Old 11-30-16, 06:10 PM
dhimsey
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Hey Lexus Owner,
What kind of wheels are those on your RX? They look great!
dhimsey
Old 11-30-16, 07:05 PM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
We have two 4RX' in the family, both with OEM hitch installed by the dealer. I don't see any issue with off center trim piece. Did you get they original piece from the dealer?
Yes, we bought the 2016 RX450h brand new and had the hitch installed at the dealer. Still not happy about it, especially since the dealer refused to make it right. After spending more than $70,000 on a new vehicle and $1300 for the hitch!
Old 12-01-16, 11:09 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

What year is your RX? Our new 2016 450h plastic trim around the hitch looks different than yours. The dealer installed ours and the cut out for the hitch is not centered on the hitch. Dealer says that it comes from the factory that way......I am not buying it. Looks shoddy. Will post pictures after I get home and take a couple.
What you dealer told you sounds like complete BS. Lexus doesn't put a "factory hitch" on the RX. The dealer does it or farms it out to a third party vendor to install. I have researched hitches a little as I need one also. So far, I have found about 3 different makes of hitches that range under $300 if I do the install myself. These dealers don't appear to really understand enough to make me want to pay them.

I also need a 7 pin connector for my trailer (it has brakes). Has anyone looked at the OBDII trailer brake controller? It plugs into the Lexus OBDII port, monitors the entire vehicle system & applies the brake as needed for the conditions. It can detect wheel spin, excessive sway, etc. It's pricey, but sounds like it's worth it & doesn't require a bunch of wiring under the car.
Old 12-01-16, 11:25 AM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Might sound like BS to you but it is not. When we ordered our new Lexus, the hitch was an option. It was ordered and installed at the dealer. We also needed a 7 pin connector at the hitch, but the dealer also refused to install it. We had it rewired at a hitch installer and we are using a wireless digital brake controller when we pull a camp trailer. Works great!

i think that any of the aftermarket hitches would be identical to the factory hitch. GO that route and save yourself about $1000.

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
What you dealer told you sounds like complete BS. Lexus doesn't put a "factory hitch" on the RX. The dealer does it or farms it out to a third party vendor to install. I have researched hitches a little as I need one also. So far, I have found about 3 different makes of hitches that range under $300 if I do the install myself. These dealers don't appear to really understand enough to make me want to pay them.

I also need a 7 pin connector for my trailer (it has brakes). Has anyone looked at the OBDII trailer brake controller? It plugs into the Lexus OBDII port, monitors the entire vehicle system & applies the brake as needed for the conditions. It can detect wheel spin, excessive sway, etc. It's pricey, but sounds like it's worth it & doesn't require a bunch of wiring under the car.
Old 12-01-16, 12:17 PM
roadrider
Driver School Candidate

Wow, they did a horrible job! They didn't even try to file it smooth. They should be ashamed of themselves. I would make them do it over if you ca get them to.

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Looking at my dealer installed hitch on brand new 2017 RX450, the trim piece was cut around the hitch. Maybe this explains they charged me $895 at Park Place Lexus while other places charged higher. They even knocked a corner.
Old 12-01-16, 12:46 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Might sound like BS to you but it is not. When we ordered our new Lexus, the hitch was an option. It was ordered and installed at the dealer. We also needed a 7 pin connector at the hitch, but the dealer also refused to install it. We had it rewired at a hitch installer and we are using a wireless digital brake controller when we pull a camp trailer. Works great!

i think that any of the aftermarket hitches would be identical to the factory hitch. GO that route and save yourself about $1000.
I inquired about the exact same things you did & my dealer told me that they farm all the hitches out to a third party installer. Lexus may sell one, but it's a rebranded aftermarket part & not something that comes from the factory. They told me to go aftermarket to a place of my choosing, because if they put one on, it would cost twice what the same aftermarket hitch would cost.

The OBDII brake controller is called DirecLink. I like this idea because it's running off all the systems on the tow vehicle instead of just applying the brakes when brakes may be a bad thing. Here is the link to their site: http://www.direclink.com/direclinkne.html Its not cheap, but it sounds well worth it. It also doubles as a code reader, should you throw some error or check engine codes. It's always good to know what the errors are, even if one can't fix it themselves. Dealers are always honest in diagnosing stuff.
Old 12-01-16, 12:50 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Looking at my dealer installed hitch on brand new 2017 RX450, the trim piece was cut around the hitch. Maybe this explains they charged me $895 at Park Place Lexus while other places charged higher. They even knocked a corner.
That's a HORRIBLE installation! They ruined your bumper. I wouldn't pay a cent for that crap. Did you make a formal complaint to Lexus about this? If now, you need to. Lexus dealer's get in big trouble for doing crap like this as it directly effects their image & customer satisfaction ratings. Toyota/Lexus take that very seriously.
Old 12-01-16, 01:05 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

The lower trim part for hitch is a separate part. the dealer should replace that part as part of the installation, NOT cut it out.

you can not get therm to order the correct offset and install it. It's about $200.

There are 3 different parts for vehicles with hitches: regular gas, F sport gas and hybrid. Make sure you get the correct one.

I asked for that original piece in addition to the bumper reinforcement part.

Btw, the OEM LEXUS hitch is different than all aftermarket hitches. It's MUCH much beefier with many more attachment bolts.
Old 12-01-16, 01:13 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The lower trim part for hitch is a separate part. the dealer should replace that part as part of the installation, NOT cut it out.

you can not get therm to order the correct offset and install it. It's about $200.

There are 3 different parts for vehicles with hitches: regular gas, F sport gas and hybrid. Make sure you get the correct one.

I asked for that original piece in addition to the bumper reinforcement part.

Btw, the OEM LEXUS hitch is different than all aftermarket hitches. It's MUCH much beefier with many more attachment bolts.
Got pics of this Lexus hitch? Who makes it? There are only a handful of manufacturers...
Old 12-01-16, 02:13 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Got pics of this Lexus hitch? Who makes it? There are only a handful of manufacturers...

I will take pictures of the hitch installed. You can not really see the hitch once it is installed. It is right up inside the bumper cover.

I don't think this one is made by any of the regular hitch manufacturers. It bolts to the frame by sandwiching the frame rails from sides and bottom and the beefy steel Beam replaces the aluminum bumper reinforcement.
Old 12-01-16, 06:30 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Here are few pictures of oem hitch and lower bumper cover on mine.

Old 12-01-16, 07:53 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts

I saw the Curt hitch and the Lexus hitch looks stronger with multiple bolts holding it in several locations. This document from lexuspartsnow shows how to install it. As you can see in this document, the bumper must be removed and each side has a bracket that also hold the hitch. The Curt hitch is only held with six screws in the bottom.

Quick Reply: Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?