NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

DIY oil change for 2015 NX200t

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 02:35 PM
SavageJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY oil change for 2015 NX200t

My NX has 30,994 miles on it and I have done several oil changes since I bought it in January 2015. This time I decided to take some pictures and provide a DIY for those who would like to do this themselves and save some money.

Things you will need:
Floor jack
jack stands (2)
wheel chocks (2)
1/4" socket set with 14 mm socket for the drain plug
funnel
5 qts of 0w20 oil (Mobil 1 synthetic)
Oil filter
Oil filter socket for Toyota/Lexus (specialty tool)
Rags/Papertowels
Container to drain oil

1. While the car is on the ground remove the oil cap

2. Now Lift the front of the car up with the jack and place the stands behind the front tires and the chocks behind the back tires.

3. Underneath the car, use your 14 mm socket to loosen the drain plug for the oil pan. This is located underneath the front passenger side of the car.

4. Now carefully unscrew the plug by hand and drain the used oil into the oil container below. After the oil completely drains (this may take 10 min or so) replace the cleaned drain plug back in the oil pan (with new washer if needed) and tighten, but not too tight. A torque wrench is nice to have at this point; set to 18.5 ft-lbs.

5. Use either the oil filter socket specifically made to fit over the Lexus oil filter container or a socket with a 1/4" extension to loosen the oil filter located in front of the oil pan. I used the 1/4" socket head extension to remove the filter and the Lexus socket to tighten it back on once the new filter was installed.

6. Replace the rubber rings on the oil filter container and lubricate with fresh oil. There are two rings but only one needs to be replaced as long as you don't use the special oil drainage attachment that comes with oil filter. Place the new filter into the container and screw the oil filter back in. This should also be tightened to 18.5 lbs-ft.

7. You can lower the front end of the car back down now and begin filling with new oil. I personally use Mobil 1 synthetiic 0w20, but any 0w20 would work I guess.

8. I swear I looked through the literature inside and out when I got the NX but never could find any information regarding oil capacity. If someone knows the official volume please let me know but I have found 5 quarts puts me in the right area on the dipstick.

And that's it! Oil is done and you can drive up to 10k more miles..... if you go by what Lexus recommends. I prefer 5k but have waited as long as 7.5k to replace the oil before. Hopefully this helps at least one person out there save some money.
The following 3 users liked this post by SavageJ:
arnieosp (06-27-19), Aventusi8 (10-02-22), stevez2436 (04-27-20)
Old 11-23-15, 06:15 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the DIY and even greater thanks for the pics.

How much is that "specialty tool" (oil filter socket) and do I have to buy it from a dealership?
Old 11-23-15, 06:51 PM
SavageJ
Driver School Candidate

It's $15-20 at most auto parts stores.
Old 11-23-15, 07:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Nice DIY. Thanks for the writeup!
Old 11-23-15, 10:39 PM
SavageJ
Driver School Candidate

A LOT of those miles come from the bi monthly trips to pick up my daughter 3 hrs away... Which ends up being 12 hrs all together during those weekends, but all interstate.

Old 11-24-15, 04:08 AM
SavageJ
Driver School Candidate

Nothing has gone wrong yet. She's going in to have her brake fluid replaced and tires rotated for her 30k service today, but other than that, I haven't had to visit the dealer (if you don't count the two first free visits.) As far as the bolsters, there's some creasing but it's been like that since the first week.
Old 11-24-15, 11:30 AM
SavageJ
Driver School Candidate

So I finally got around to asking my service advisor about the oil capacity. 5.2 qts officially
The following users liked this post:
stevez2436 (04-27-20)
Old 11-24-15, 11:42 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if this would be drastically different on a 300h? I would assume not, but I know it is a different ICE on it, just wondering if the same specialty wrench would work.

thanks,
Phil
Old 11-25-15, 07:18 PM
online421
Rookie

This is interesting.

When you buy a Lexus in New Zealand it comes with free full maintenance and service plan for 4 years, this plan stays with the car, so if you buy second hand (less than 4 yo) you are also covered.

What this means is you only have to pay for petrol, insurance, tyre and registration for your car. everything else is covered by Lexus. I took my car in for its first service a few weeks ago and it was all free. I didnt have to pay a cent and was offered a loan car for the day.
Old 11-25-15, 07:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by online421
This is interesting.

When you buy a Lexus in New Zealand it comes with free full maintenance and service plan for 4 years, this plan stays with the car, so if you buy second hand (less than 4 yo) you are also covered.

What this means is you only have to pay for petrol, insurance, tyre and registration for your car. everything else is covered by Lexus. I took my car in for its first service a few weeks ago and it was all free. I didnt have to pay a cent and was offered a loan car for the day.
BMW dealerships here (Southern California) do that, as well, although I believe it is only for two or three years..
Old 11-26-15, 03:17 PM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up!

From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, BMW includes the service in the price of the car, Lexus sells it as a package here in Canada.

I bought the package as mine is leased.
Old 12-01-15, 01:56 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Excellent write-up.
Old 12-05-15, 09:17 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent detail and illustrations. Question: Does anyone remember the 80s when we had to prime the engine that were equipped with turbos. "Priming" was the process where after you changed the oil, you cranked the engine over until you registered oil pressure. When you change the engine oil and do not prime the engine, it takes about 15 seconds before the oil gets circulated, fills the oil filter, and reaches the turbo bearings. In essence, I hate the idea of the turbo spinning without oil pressure for 15 seconds or so with only the residual oil for the past oil. Priming was a standard practice for many manufacturers but it seems that some manufactures have done away with this simple practice.

I am just wondering if anyone who does their own oil changes primes their engine (after an oil change) before they start their engine. Or is their something in todays engines / turbos where that is no longer required. Lexus dealerships are not aware of this practice for a couple of reasons. One, most are very young mechanics and don't remember the good old days, and two, turbos are new to the Lexus mechanics (NX was the first new engine to Lexus that uses turbos) and according to the Lexus mechanic training, it is not required. I am just looking for a good technical reason why it is not required, or should it be?
Old 12-05-15, 11:33 AM
joeyd27
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a link or part number for the Oil filter socket special tool? I'd like to buy one before my first oil change but not sure which to get.
Old 12-05-15, 03:11 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Will this one from AutoZone work?

Quick Reply: DIY oil change for 2015 NX200t