Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

New owner: 2016 RX450h......AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 12:31 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New owner: 2016 RX450h......AWD

Reporting in.....Wonderful vehicle. Getting used to this quickly. Benz guy here...have had a few of these, never as pleased as I am now. It's really a joy to drive. Freeway mileage (Santa Monica - San Diego) was 29.4 yesterday in semi stop and go. City mpg hovers at approx 32. Not being mindful of driving cautiously.

I cannot come up with one thing this vehicle does not do well. Amazing ride; gorgeous 12.3" screen. There are multiple, unadvertised details which are terrific: one can set the ventilated seats to auto and they go on automatically dependent upon the interior temp. Each seat adjusts its own fan speed on its own; rear ducts can be turned on or off from dashboard. There are electronic adjustments available for the smallest details. The auto bright headlights change seamlessly....night view is superior. Adaptive response (not available with triple LED option) is rather advanced. Almost mind reading.

More to come. Nice to be so pleased!
Pete
Old 11-22-15, 12:41 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

One more surprise: The all wheel drive cost ($1,400) above the standard front wheel drive (only on the hybrid model) was credited back as "All Weather Drive Performance Credit." No idea why this is. It effectively makes the price of the AWD identical to the FWD! No brainer to opt for AWD. I had a choice between both. Supposedly Lexus has just ceased producing FWD RXs in the hybrid version. Curious. Perhaps they needed the higher mpg figures at the beginning of the run? Pete
Old 11-22-15, 03:35 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Enjoy your new RX and thanks for your review... How's the ride/drive?

Smart for them to start with AWD on the verge of winter. A bonus that you got it comp'ed. Gotta love Lexus. You're a benz guy, I was too, they wouldn't comp an extra keychain.
Old 11-22-15, 03:44 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congratulations on your new RX..
Old 11-22-15, 04:28 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think the AWD rides better than the FWD?
Old 11-22-15, 05:06 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Default AWD vs FWD

Mikeivan....no....Although I merely spent 15 minutes in the FWD hybrid, I sensed no difference. I noticed a huge difference between the full gas version (350) and the hybrid (450h). Skip the fuel savings (which really does not pan out, especially since the hybrid runs on premium). The drive, the ride, the quiet and vibration reduced motoring.....made it a "must have" for me. Perhaps it's the added weight, especially with the extra 3d motor in the AWD hybrid....the ride is very different than the RX350, imo. From the moment I drove the hybrid, there was no going back. I recommend test drives in both versions before committing.
The following users liked this post:
Mibpf (04-27-18)
Old 11-22-15, 08:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Do you think the AWD rides better than the FWD?
You do know that besides the added weight, the AWD version is primarily FWD until it detects slip
Old 11-23-15, 01:39 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

I've read that the separate electric motor for the rear wheels on the RX450h is the safest AWD system made. It's distinctly different from other non hybrid AWD vehicles in that the response time is life saving immediate. Probably wasted on us So. Ca. folk.
Makes sense, CoolSaber, that the AWD version is primarily FWD (until slippery roads present). As I mentioned, having driven both AWD & FWD in hybrid form, I felt no discernible difference.
Old 11-23-15, 06:52 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

From watching youtube videos of the RX 450h's awd system seem to indicate that its great for the snow and keeping you moving without getting stuck. But if you are in a ditch or stuck on a high bank of snow the rear wheels will not get enough power to get out of it. I remember hearing that the rear electric motors can only give like 60hp while the RX 350 AWD can put 50% of power to the rear with locking differential. Thats almost 150hp to the rear which is better at getting unstuck.
Old 11-23-15, 07:24 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

That's interesting....inadequate power to the rear wheels when stuck kind of defeats the purpose of AWD. Were the previous older models of the RX hybrid AWD the same? Or.....is the 2016 using a new technology? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-15, 08:03 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
That's interesting....inadequate power to the rear wheels when stuck kind of defeats the purpose of AWD. Were the previous older models of the RX hybrid AWD the same? Or.....is the 2016 using a new technology? Thanks in advance.
It is the same as used on all models of the RXh. It works great for most situations, but it is not designed for off-road. The number I heard for max rear wheel power is 70 hp which is not far from the 60 mentioned above.
Steve
Old 11-23-15, 11:16 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

The RXh is not meant for offroad duty, Lexus even states it in their press releases.

This might seem ancedotal at best, but here goes:

RX350 & RXh are FWD all the time. The minute the system detects slip, the Rx350 sends torque to the appropriate axle, and wheel. It can only send 50% to the Rear axle (50% of 267 total torque). The RxH has to engage the rear motor. The difference is almost twice as much comparing the hybrid to the gasoline. However the important difference here is that. the hybrid torque is on demand and available from 0 rpm. The gasoline will not produce that kind of torque curve on demand until it hits the peak curve on the rpm band. Hence although its advertised as 50 of 267, if your stuck in a snow bank, you`ll need to be in the ideal power band and gear to achieve that number
Old 11-23-15, 01:40 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Coolsaber....that makes sense. Sounds as though the hybrid version is completely different from the pure gas version. To me, it seems that the hybrid version would be safer within a much wider speed range. The pure gas version is better when the vehicle is stuck. Yes?
Old 11-23-15, 01:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Peterun
Coolsaber....that makes sense. Sounds as though the hybrid version is completely different from the pure gas version. To me, it seems that the hybrid version would be safer within a much wider speed range. The pure gas version is better when the vehicle is stuck. Yes?
Definitively I do not know.
One would need to have alot of on board data to determine whether at any given situation does the H perform better then the gasoline.

If i were to guess, maybe. But again, seeing the RX is neither a performance vehicle on road or off road, this is best left to the engineers at Lexus.
Old 11-23-15, 02:16 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

It would be good to know the capabilities of what we're purchasing prior to ownership. Not after the fact. I had no idea there was even a difference between hybrid and full fuel versions of this SUV. Seems as though the salesperson should have a better idea of what's being sold. Seems like the brochure should make mention.

Wonderful driving SUV though!

Quick Reply: New owner: 2016 RX450h......AWD