SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 11:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Toms racing tower bar

Originally Posted by Poqman
Installed a Cusco Shock Tower Brace. I'm not convinced that this is stiff enough to improve the rigidity when the top is down, but will give it a try. Install is easy.

I.

I have Tom Racing Tower Brace installed and I feel when the top is down the ride is tighter also the doors close with the same sound as when the top is up. I don't have any rattles and I feel more stability
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-17, 12:42 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have Tom Racing Tower Brace installed and I feel when the top is down the ride is tighter also the doors close with the same sound as when the top is up. I don't have any rattles and I feel more stability
mr. B , that's because yours doesn't have two pivots that still allow the same movement to take place. A brace with hinges isn't much of a brace. I don't understand why some of these aftermarket companies rip people off with these.
Old 02-10-17, 12:47 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I Agree with you. I could not see the point of making it with pivots. The welds on my bar itself are very heavy duty .Very happy with results
Old 02-10-17, 12:52 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by mrblister
I Agree with you. I could not see the point of making it with pivots. The welds on my bar itself are very heavy duty .Very happy with results

makes it a show piece, not a functioning piece. You won't find factory bars with pivots.
Old 02-10-17, 05:53 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

I assume the end piece pivot bolts are intended and are tightened to make the brace work?
Old 02-10-17, 06:14 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
I assume the end piece pivot bolts are intended and are tightened to make the brace work?

When you have enough torque to twist the body of a car. Then you add a eighteen inch long lever ( the bar itself). You can't tighten those bolts enough not to allow movement. As thin as that bar is it would probably bend under force if it was a solid mount. The two bends length wise in it does add strength, but still questionable if that could take those forces.

even better would have been if Lexus would have done like bmw. Run a brace bar from each strut tower to a reinforced cowl. Then when you add the strut brace from tower to tower. You've triangulated it, and made it very solid.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-image.png  

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-10-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 07:53 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coleroad
When you have enough torque to twist the body of a car. Then you add a eighteen inch long lever ( the bar itself). You can't tighten those bolts enough not to allow movement. As thin as that bar is it would probably bend under force if it was a solid mount. The two bends length wise in it does add strength, but still questionable if that could take those forces.

even better would have been if Lexus would have done like bmw. Run a brace bar from each strut tower to a reinforced cowl. Then when you add the strut brace from tower to tower. You've triangulated it, and made it very solid.
as I did not design or build the brace or test it it's actual results are unknown. I assumed tightening the bolts would optimize its benefits. If any.

other brands have similar designs.

Unless none of these actually work?

possible that extreme bracing might lose ride quality?

used to brace front sub frame suspension setup to the firewall long ago to prevent deflection but little room in an sc engine compartment for that..

A honda accord coupe performance model ten years ago had a similar brace to the one pictured
The following users liked this post:
stevemcb (02-27-17)
Old 02-12-17, 02:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 859 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
as I did not design or build the brace or test it it's actual results are unknown. I assumed tightening the bolts would optimize its benefits. If any.

other brands have similar designs.

Unless none of these actually work?

possible that extreme bracing might lose ride quality?

used to brace front sub frame suspension setup to the firewall long ago to prevent deflection but little room in an sc engine compartment for that..

A honda accord coupe performance model ten years ago had a similar brace to the one pictured
my 2008 Accord EX-L V6 has a factory strut tower brace.
Old 02-12-17, 07:36 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

The other reason for the theee piece design is variations in the actual dimensions of the cars after use. Building a brace new is easier. After the cars been driven there were reports of having to loosen the bolts to get the brace to fit the exact car.
Old 02-13-17, 09:30 AM
WORKD250
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

everything is in now the shop called me to advise on the ride height before they do the alignment, this is the height out of the box from BC, it's pretty low so they are going to adjust it, align it and I'm good to go
Old 02-13-17, 09:44 PM
WORKD250
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ride height adjusted ride feels way better with the FIGS front refesh kit and the BC coilovers. When I first got the car the suspension was worn and the drivers front was creaking at low speeds, thats all gone. First impression of the BCs is they feel soild a bit stiff but not uncomfortable the bouncy feeling of the worn stock suspension is gone. I have left the damper right in the middle and will adjust after I get some miles on it. Here's how it sits currently

Old 02-14-17, 09:02 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it restored and can tell the difference (in a good way).
The following users liked this post:
WORKD250 (02-14-17)
Old 02-26-17, 06:17 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's Mardi Gras time here so I decided to wash and detail my car and the weather is beautiful!!!
Old 02-27-17, 08:46 AM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great. Always good to see this car well maintained and obviously appreciated. Easy to see why they still turn heads and elicit admiring comments.
Old 03-01-17, 05:45 AM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
It's Mardi Gras time here so I decided to wash and detail my car and the weather is beautiful!!!
Looks really Nice!
Would love to have that weather where I am now

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?