IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 IS-F owners with sticky dash door panels chime in!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 08:01 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 08 IS-F owners with sticky dash door panels chime in!!

Somehow 08 IS-F's were left out of the recall,but from what I've researched, they still have the same issues AND SAME PART NUMBERS as the cars included, especially in hot climates. My dash and door panels get sticky every day with 85+ degree in sunlight and the door panels scratch with the slightest tough of a fingernail. At night, they are much more resistant as the temperature drops, and this follows basically every car listed below:

These are the 4.5 million vehicles that will be covered with the warranty extension, and the news story that started it. Somehow, the few thousand IS-F produced in 2008 were overlooked:

http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/h...ing-dashboards

Toyota
4Runner 2003-2005
Avalon 2005-2010
Camry/HV 2007-2011
Sienna 2004-2010
Solara 2004-2008

Lexus
ES 350 2007-2008
GX 470 2003-2008
IS 250/350 2006-2008
LS 460 2007
RX 330 2004-2006
RX 350 2007-2009
RX 400h 2005-2008s

Last edited by pharnhyte; 08-21-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-21-15, 08:05 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine don't get sticky but there is a small tear (.10" x .10") I found cleaning my car the other day on the side of the center console.
Old 08-21-15, 08:10 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Originally Posted by Justind27
Mine don't get sticky but there is a small tear (.10" x .10") I found cleaning my car the other day on the side of the center console.
Well, how often does Washington get 90-100+ degree days with high humidity?
Old 08-21-15, 08:11 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It's been a hot summer, really dry too (a few humid days but way abnormal weather this year)
Old 08-21-15, 08:19 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Originally Posted by Justind27
It's been a hot summer, really dry too (a few humid days but way abnormal weather this year)
Well this seems to primarily be an issue with millions of Toyota/Lexus cars in actual hot weather. Not sure what city you live in, but looking at Seattle's weather forecasts, and 79 is going to be the high for the next 10 day's, with most of the days being around 70. That may be hot to you guys, as 90 is hot to me, which is mild to my friends in Arizona, who think 110 is getting hot.

At any rate, I don't want this to get derailed.

Last edited by pharnhyte; 08-21-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-21-15, 08:52 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 4 of my door panels and the dash are sticky and melting. I've already got a case open with Lexus corporate. Their first offer yesterday was to cover 50% of the cost of parts ($5000 roughly... which is a joke). I have escalated it to a higher level. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 08-21-15, 09:04 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Originally Posted by otbevo
All 4 of my door panels and the dash are sticky and melting. I've already got a case open with Lexus corporate. Their first offer yesterday was to cover 50% of the cost of parts ($5000 roughly... which is a joke). I have escalated it to a higher level. I'll keep everyone posted.
Ok please do, it seems to be a lot of Florida cars, and I just got my car from Florida. It's factory certified, and under a carmax warranty until 2015, but I shouldn't have to go that route.
Old 08-21-15, 09:14 AM
J2K
Pole Position

^^^ I was only able to get Lexus corporate to pony up for 25% of the replacement cost for my door panels, so consider yourself lucky with the 50% offer. I really think that the problem is being caused by the combination of high temperatures AND high humidity. My panels seem to be extremely sticky under these conditions.... but not as bad when the humidity is lower.

I don't see too many alternatives for F owners experiencing this issue other than calling corporate to get a case on record. Hopefully corporate will wake up and admit there is an issue after enough F owners call. After that, you can cough up whatever the cost is for new parts and hope for full reimbursement at a later date and/or join the class action lawsuit.
Old 08-21-15, 09:23 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J2K
^^^ I was only able to get Lexus corporate to pony up for 25% of the replacement cost for my door panels, so consider yourself lucky with the 50% offer. I really think that the problem is being caused by the combination of high temperatures AND high humidity. My panels seem to be extremely sticky under these conditions.... but not as bad when the humidity is lower.

I don't see too many alternatives for F owners experiencing this issue other than calling corporate to get a case on record. Hopefully corporate will wake up and admit there is an issue after enough F owners call. After that, you can cough up whatever the cost is for new parts and hope for full reimbursement at a later date and/or join the class action lawsuit.
My vehicle was a Florida car originally, and that's where the vast majority of these issues seem to manifest themselves. The vehicle's service records are immaculate (7 pages worth all at Lexus of Clearwater) so it's a little surprising that this issue wasn't noticed or remedied previously. I already have the paperwork for the class action lawsuit waiting and it will depend on how Lexus takes care of me as to whether or not I sign it.
Old 08-21-15, 09:31 AM
J2K
Pole Position

^^ Not to get off topic, but the service department at Lexus of Clearwater is horrendous. I purchased my F there and serviced it there for a bit, but the service department was consistently sub par.... so it does not surprise me that the issue "wasn't noticed or remedied previously". Good luck with corporate!
Old 08-21-15, 09:33 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J2K
^^ Not to get off topic, but the service department at Lexus of Clearwater is horrendous. I purchased my F there and serviced it there for a bit, but the service department was consistently sub par.... so it does not surprise me that the issue "wasn't noticed or remedied previously". Good luck with corporate!
Good to know. They still owe me the wiring harness protector in the engine bay as during the ELF recall repair they completely destroyed it and left the bare wires in the engine bay.
Old 08-21-15, 03:34 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

My driver panel is the only one sticky and the dye has worn off. My dealership said they would cover it for me but they told me they can't even order the parts right now.
Old 08-21-15, 03:43 PM
pharnhyte
Driver

Originally Posted by otbevo
My vehicle was a Florida car originally, and that's where the vast majority of these issues seem to manifest themselves. The vehicle's service records are immaculate (7 pages worth all at Lexus of Clearwater) so it's a little surprising that this issue wasn't noticed or remedied previously. I already have the paperwork for the class action lawsuit waiting and it will depend on how Lexus takes care of me as to whether or not I sign it.

Is this through the lawsuit with everyone else?
Old 08-21-15, 04:29 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
Is this through the lawsuit with everyone else?
Yeah, this one is through the Ferraro law firm in Florida. Spoke with a supervisor today, and she pretty much insinuated that because I have no brand loyalty history, that she was unwilling to go any higher than the 50% offer. I told her to send me up the food chain. Should get a call on Monday.
Old 08-21-15, 05:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I live in Georgia, not known for low humidity or low heat, but I have not had any issues with the interior panels. I work from home 2 - 3 days a week and the car doesn't get parked in the sun often at all. When it does, I have a sun protector for the dash, and after replacing the dash in my Supra, I use it religiously.

It really sucks when they use materials incapable of surviving in the heat. You all have my sympathies. The defroster vent on my Supra was so bad, I bought a new dash. Now it lives indoors all the time or gets parked in the shade. There are no more new left hand drive Supra dashboards to be had.
The following users liked this post:
s2kimport (01-16-18)

Quick Reply: 08 IS-F owners with sticky dash door panels chime in!!