GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Has anyone installed bluetooth for audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 02:24 PM
RTR37
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed bluetooth for audio

Hey, my 2008 GX470 came with bluetooth for phone, but not for audio. Has anybody installed bluetooth for audio in their GX? And experienced any problems after doing so? Was thinking about having the same shop that installed my sub do it, they are great. Thanks.
Old 07-23-15, 05:25 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased the Vaistech SLB3. It will arrive Monday. I plan on installing it Monday and will let you know how it goes.

The SLB3 has two major perks. First, it gives me bluetooth audio from my phone (iPhone). Second, it eliminates the necessity of having to push the "OK" button on the nav screen every time I start the truck.
Old 07-23-15, 07:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm using the GROM setup, provides a wired plugin for my iphone (or android), USB, and Bluetooth for calls and streaming audio.
Old 07-23-15, 09:40 AM
coloboardi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roemer7
I just purchased the Vaistech SLB3. It will arrive Monday. I plan on installing it Monday and will let you know how it goes.

The SLB3 has two major perks. First, it gives me bluetooth audio from my phone (iPhone). Second, it eliminates the necessity of having to push the "OK" button on the nav screen every time I start the truck.
Commenting here just so I can read your review on this setup!
Old 07-23-15, 02:37 PM
RTR37
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. Yeah please post how the setup goes. I think I'm going to take mine to shop in August to get this done.
Old 07-23-15, 08:41 PM
Lexuszilla
Driver School Candidate

Default Audio update

I've had my GX for 1 day and already noted the need to upgrade the interface and I'm sick of "I Agree" every time I restart the car. Thanks Lexus Law Firm Douchbags! Keep us posted on the audio upgrade.
Old 07-28-15, 11:27 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I got my Vaistech SL3B Bluetooth adapter installed yesterday. The complete install took me just over 30 minutes. I was able to find a spot to tuck the unit behind the radio and under the passenger air duct. I didn't utilize the UBS port, charging only, at this time. When I get another cable, I'll go back in and install one.

As expected, the unit does indeed remove the "OK" navigation screen from my 2006. Five seconds or so after starting up the vehicle, the system beeps and the "OK" screen goes away. Beautiful!

Also, I was easily able to initiate the MD Changer mode on the unit. By selecting the "DISC" button my radio I can cycle through the CD changer, DVD (I've done the DVD override for the front screen), and now MD changer.

The MD Changer mode allows me to select playlists and stream Pandora and the like.

Finally, the music fades out when I make and receive phone calls via the on-board vehicle Bluetooth. Very slick.

I should have done this when I bough the GX. We leave on vacation this Thursday and this should be handy, welcome addition to our already very capable family hauler.

Feel free to ask any questions. I can post pictures or offer any help.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed bluetooth for audio-image-979887553.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by roemer7:
TDC1 (01-01-18), TXLEX470 (03-05-22)
Old 07-28-15, 01:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I installed the GROM unit, I don't recommend it all.

The streaming Bluetooth is crap, you have a noise in the background that is clearly audible to the point you don't want to use it.

Also, you lose the CD changer feature, even though it clearly sells itself as being able to toggle that. All my issues went away when I just unplugged the CD changer harness. So it's one or the other. Since I rarely use CD anymore, it's not a huge deal, but still it should be able to work as advertised.

For a wired connection through the headphone jack, it works fine, but otherwise I would say go in a different direction. Just seems like a hack product even though it's pricey for what it is. I see sort of generic type units that can do the same thing for like $25 on Amazon.

It installs easy enough, just be careful of the wood veneer surrounding the unit, very easy to break if you're not careful.
Old 07-28-15, 01:24 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
I installed the GROM unit, I don't recommend it all.

The streaming Bluetooth is crap, you have a noise in the background that is clearly audible to the point you don't want to use it.

Also, you lose the CD changer feature, even though it clearly sells itself as being able to toggle that. All my issues went away when I just unplugged the CD changer harness. So it's one or the other. Since I rarely use CD anymore, it's not a huge deal, but still it should be able to work as advertised.

For a wired connection through the headphone jack, it works fine, but otherwise I would say go in a different direction. Just seems like a hack product even though it's pricey for what it is. I see sort of generic type units that can do the same thing for like $25 on Amazon.

It installs easy enough, just be careful of the wood veneer surrounding the unit, very easy to break if you're not careful.
For the audible noise bit, try shutting off BT on your phone, then reconnect to the GROM and see if the background "feedback" noise is still there.

I have the GROM as well, and like it for wired and BT streaming off my phone, and phonecalls, but I've never been able to get the USB playback to work for the life of me.
Old 07-28-15, 01:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by IanB2
For the audible noise bit, try shutting off BT on your phone, then reconnect to the GROM and see if the background "feedback" noise is still there.

I have the GROM as well, and like it for wired and BT streaming off my phone, and phonecalls, but I've never been able to get the USB playback to work for the life of me.

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty sure we've tried that but it might be worth a shot.

BTW, I'm 99% sure the USB extension is purely for charging, it's not meant to be a data input cable.
Old 07-28-15, 08:03 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty sure we've tried that but it might be worth a shot.

BTW, I'm 99% sure the USB extension is purely for charging, it's not meant to be a data input cable.
No, the GROM USB2 definitely supports audio file playback via USB thumbdrive or portable HDD, the website supports this. I just can't get it to work.
Old 07-30-15, 01:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

No, the GROM USB2 definitely supports audio file playback via USB thumbdrive or portable HDD, the website supports this. I just can't get it to work.
My unit only supports USB charging, here is the product description on Amazon:

"PLEASE NOTE: USB port on the auxiliary cable C-35USB is for charging only, it will NOT let you to play the music directly from USB stick or Android phone."

Did you mix it up with a different unit?

Old 07-31-15, 06:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I've got a USB2, not an IPD3 . Here's the link to the current version, the USB3:

http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapt...interface.html

"USB Connection: GROM-USB3 car stereo adapter connects your USB 2.0 device such as flash drive, external hard drive or mass storage device to the stock stereo in your car. You can control the playback through your car stereo or steering wheel controls."
Old 07-31-15, 08:40 AM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using the GROM setup, provides a wired plugin for my iphone (or android), USB, and Bluetooth for calls and streaming audio.
^this and it works almost flawlessly. I have the non-nav HU and so the interface is pretty basic. I just wish I could get track title info on the HU. The hands free calling quality is far superior to my wife's OEM setup in her 2015 Outback.
Old 04-25-18, 05:26 AM
blk90s13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roemer7

How is this doing years after the install ?

Grom is pure garbage I installed it and bluetooth would only work for minutes and it disconnects on its own and that happened with more than one phone, I returned it for a refund never again will they get my business !!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed bluetooth for audio