GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

what are some GS350 AWD lowering problems?

Old 04-19-15, 09:26 AM
liujiayue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are some GS350 AWD lowering problems?

After reading the forums on lowering, I hear a lot about vibration problems that come with lowering an AWD car. I was wondering if that is a serious issue or just something to consider when getting new springs? Also, what kind of springs are best for lowering an AWD?
Old 04-20-15, 03:44 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on what springs to get for this since everyone has a personal preference (coils seem to get a lot of fanfare). The vibration issue boils down to what you would consider to be annoying to deal with. I think someone mentioned getting RCA blocks which helped lessen the vibrations, and reduce the wobbliness when accelerating from a stop. Ton of threads here discussing this so it'll really come down to what you assume the concensus to be on which spring company to choose based on the performance you are looking for.
Old 04-20-15, 05:56 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

i think i read a few post that f-sport springs has no side effects
Old 04-20-15, 06:37 PM
CarKrayz
Rookie

lowering the GS AWD will experience vibrations and wobble for sure due to the fact that it adds stress to the axle and changes the axle angle.
If you like the way the stock car rides and feel. do not lower it.
You will hear it from all your passengers stating "why does it vibrate in the cabin when it is a luxury car?"
At the end of the day it comes down to what ever you like. You are the owner of the car.
Old 04-25-17, 08:32 PM
elbow
10th Gear

^^Agreed

My 07 GS 350 AWD had vibrations on cold days while stopped in drive at stock height.

I lowered my car on lower control arm blocks two weeks ago while I still had my factory 17's installed. Same vibrations at idle while stopped but noting while rolling. I did have to get an alignment to correct the toe tho and the blocks negatively affect the way my car is tracking but the wheel gaps look how they should've come from the factory.

After installing 19" f sports a week ago on Michelin pilot sports I felt the vibrations as soon as I got up some speed leaving the shop. Really subtle at first. Now on colder mornings, I can feel the wheel wobbles below 20 and the vibrations can go from nearly non existent to overwhelming at speeds below 80. Above 80 they are all but gone. It's at it's worse when Im coasting between 40-60. I've had the wheels balanced once at install and then road force balanced a week later. They were dead on. I love how my car looks lowered but I miss how nice it once rode. I may remove the blocks and take the loss but before doing so I will try to jack up the vehicle and go over as many of the components that were affected by the height change as I can until I can at least narrow down on a culprit system.

Im thinking engine mounts and steering gear are suspects for the vibration since the frequency doesn't really change with speed. The axles or maybe hubs could be responsible for the wobbling feeling and maybe I'll get the trans fluid flushed again for good measure.

Id hate to ruin such a nice car because Lexus couldn't figure out how to make an AWD car sit level like it's RWD counterpart.
Old 04-26-17, 08:10 PM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarKrayz
lowering the GS AWD will experience vibrations and wobble for sure due to the fact that it adds stress to the axle and changes the axle angle.
If you like the way the stock car rides and feel. do not lower it.
You will hear it from all your passengers stating "why does it vibrate in the cabin when it is a luxury car?"
At the end of the day it comes down to what ever you like. You are the owner of the car.
Um... I lowered my 06 GS300 awd on tanabe nf springs and KYB struts with ZERO vibrations. I think as long as you don't go too low
Old 04-27-17, 11:20 AM
sprtn131
Pole Position

I also replaced a total of 8 control arms with Megan adjustables so my alignment could be set correctly. It sounds like a lot, but they come as pairs. 3 in the rear and 1 in the front per side. I think price for the parts was $1000 with struts and springs.
Old 11-04-17, 01:58 PM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtn131
Um... I lowered my 06 GS300 awd on tanabe nf springs and KYB struts with ZERO vibrations. I think as long as you don't go too low
do you have any pics?? I have an 08 GS350 AWD and dont want to go slammed.. I think my age keeps me from it.. Bcuz in my youth I slammed everything.... Now I just want a nice stance... I little gap is ok with me now.. But for some reason the AWD seems to sits higher than the RWD. So I need to bring it down a smidget
The following users liked this post:
Qwest323 (09-19-20)
Old 11-05-17, 07:24 AM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just4Me
do you have any pics?? I have an 08 GS350 AWD and dont want to go slammed.. I think my age keeps me from it.. Bcuz in my youth I slammed everything.... Now I just want a nice stance... I little gap is ok with me now.. But for some reason the AWD seems to sits higher than the RWD. So I need to bring it down a smidget

Old 06-03-18, 01:40 PM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If theres anyone in Atl , looking for 25mm RCA blocks... I just took mine off today.... I live in Atl, so im not shipping them... we can meet , just make me a good offer.. all the bolt's and washers are still available.. i used them for about 9 months.. AWD 2008 Gs350