LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cleaning the MaF

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 08:20 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Cleaning the MaF

On my 10 LS460 swb am contemplating cleaning the MAF sensor. As the battery is in its own corner, I'm not too sure how to disconnect the negative terminal so my question is this..if I clean the MAF sensor and leave the battery connected, will that have adverse affect?

I think I read pulling and re plugging a specific fuse wil also work?
Old 01-17-15, 09:46 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

You shouldn't need to disconnect the battery to clean the maf sensor. Just disconnect the plug from the maf sensor then remove it from the intake housing. Spray the contacts with maf cleaner and put everything back together. There's no need to reset ECU, new fuel trims will be adjusted after a few cycles.
Old 01-18-15, 12:07 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

To be quite honest if you can't fugue out that it's actually really easy to get to the battery and disconnect the negative terminal I wouldn't go cleaning maf sensors. The battery is just under plastic covers. But if you really want to clean it you really don't need to disconnect the battery. Just unplug the sensors.
Old 01-18-15, 05:09 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Ah thanks clarifies it - was just gonna do this last night and didn't know if there was a short cut to disconnect the battery (short of pulling the battery out). I read in a previous thread of disconnecting the battery before doing this to reset the ECU but I guess that isn't needed..thanks!
Old 01-18-15, 05:19 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I have never done mine, but I probably should, there is so much salt on the roads where I am right now that I can't go a single day without my car being totally covered in it. Been washing it twice a week and it makes no difference. Those sensors must be caked in salt by now, my fuel economy has dropped too, but that's probably do to the very cold weather we're having.
Old 01-18-15, 07:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I have never done mine, but I probably should, there is so much salt on the roads where I am right now that I can't go a single day without my car being totally covered in it. Been washing it twice a week and it makes no difference. Those sensors must be caked in salt by now, my fuel economy has dropped too, but that's probably do to the very cold weather we're having.
It's your new year resolution to reduce your sodium intake too? Hehe
Old 01-18-15, 07:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I posted a DIY that included MAF cleaning and the product to use. You do not need to disconnect the battery.

Just make sure you use a proper MAF cleaner and don't man-handle the MAF.....the filament is delicate. I used CRC MAF cleaner from my local auto parts store, FWIW.
Old 01-18-15, 08:24 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
It's your new year resolution to reduce your sodium intake too? Hehe
Yes, and I'm not doing too well on the cholesterol either
Old 01-18-15, 01:04 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
To be quite honest if you can't fugue out that it's actually really easy to get to the battery and disconnect the negative terminal I wouldn't go cleaning maf sensors. The battery is just under plastic covers.

Couldn't agree more...
Old 01-18-15, 03:47 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jud149
Couldn't agree more...
Sorry I never got this far. Can't get the hood open, I tried pliers and everything
Old 01-19-15, 07:44 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default maf SEnsor

A crowbar has always worked for me in getting the hood open.lol
Old 09-24-17, 03:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

does anyone have a step by step on how to clean the MAF on these cars?

Thanks
Old 09-26-17, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
does anyone have a step by step on how to clean the MAF on these cars?

Thanks
I can't remember how much detail I went into in my DIY post (spark plug change), but it should help. In summation, when you gain access to the air filters, the MAFs are there. Unscrew them from the assembly and spray the cleaner into and onto the filaments.
Old 09-26-17, 10:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

On my GS430 I just undid the clips for the air filter, took the airfilter out, unhooked the airfilter plug, pulled or unscrewed the air filter pipe/tube out and you could spray the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner while it was still in the plastic tube. You don't need to spray a lot. Then just put everything back together and plug it back in. Car may run a little rich or hectic when you first start it up but it will settle down as the computer adjusts.
Old 09-26-17, 04:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I can't remember how much detail I went into in my DIY post (spark plug change), but it should help. In summation, when you gain access to the air filters, the MAFs are there. Unscrew them from the assembly and spray the cleaner into and onto the filaments.
I was looking through your threads before I made that post but I couldn't find it

Ill look for the spark plug DIY to see if its there , thanks

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MaF