IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Center console squeak

Old 04-21-14, 06:33 AM
bigdbag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console squeak

Hi all,

First-time Lexus owner, of an IS 350 F. I have driven the car approximately 300 miles thus far. I noticed this morning I'm getting creaks and squeaks from my center console where your arm rests. If I apply minor pressure on the left wall or right wall towards the center, I can replicate the squeaky noise.

Anyone else have this issue and have you tried to fix it or get the dealer to fix it?
Old 04-21-14, 08:32 AM
CTLG
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigdbag
Hi all,

First-time Lexus owner, of an IS 350 F. I have driven the car approximately 300 miles thus far. I noticed this morning I'm getting creaks and squeaks from my center console where your arm rests. If I apply minor pressure on the left wall or right wall towards the center, I can replicate the squeaky noise.

Anyone else have this issue and have you tried to fix it or get the dealer to fix it?
I have this exact issue, although it's gotten better over time. I have 500 miles on my new 3is 350 F, for what it's worth. Supposedly this is a common issue and the only one I've found thus far, in this particular car.
Old 04-21-14, 09:49 AM
Abied
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue, I took it to my dealer and had them inspect it and put more felt, now it's gone
Old 04-21-14, 11:19 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abied
I had the same issue, I took it to my dealer and had them inspect it and put more felt, now it's gone
Had the same issue on a non-F Sport. Squeaking from the center console. But my squeaking was closer to the gear shift. Took it in to the dealer and they added more felt and/or whatever in that general area and the issue has been resolved.
Old 04-21-14, 12:21 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Originally Posted by moose66
Had the same issue on a non-F Sport. Squeaking from the center console. But my squeaking was closer to the gear shift. Took it in to the dealer and they added more felt and/or whatever in that general area and the issue has been resolved.
I too have the same issue, what did you tell the dealership? Was it free?
Old 04-21-14, 12:58 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fiendskill
I too have the same issue, what did you tell the dealership? Was it free?
I just took the car back to them (I was having other things done and did not make a special trip just for this issue). I told them what I was hearing and pointed out where I think it was coming from. I figured this out by applying pressure to the console while riding with my wife, windows closed, stereo off. The squeak would stop. Shortly after I took the pressure off, the squeak would return. Of course I figured they would just come back and say they could not replicate the issue. But, they actually fixed it. And the fix was done at no cost. These cars do come with a warranty, albeit limited. But even still, that would just be a courtesy fix. Provided your dealership is into that sort of customer service.
Old 04-21-14, 01:03 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

I just took the car back to them (I was having other things done and did not make a special trip just for this issue). I told them what I was hearing and pointed out where I think it was coming from. I figured this out by applying pressure to the console while riding with my wife, windows closed, stereo off. The squeak would stop. Shortly after I took the pressure off, the squeak would return. Of course I figured they would just come back and say they could not replicate the issue. But, they actually fixed it. And the fix was done at no cost. These cars do come with a warranty, albeit limited. But even still, that would just be a courtesy fix. Provided your dealership is into that sort of customer service.
Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-21-14, 01:15 PM
bigdbag
Driver School Candidate

I too shall go to my Lexus dealership today and see if they're willing to fix it. My dealership is in Chantilly, VA, for those who may see this thread later.
Old 05-17-17, 10:05 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I am having this squeaky problem as well, anyone can pin point where exactly to stick on the felt? If have pics to show, would be best. The noise is close to the gear shift in my case. Thanks much.
Old 05-17-17, 10:25 AM
Fingers007
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same center console squeak. I took the car to the dealership and they added extra felt at no charge. A few months later, the squeak came back. I probably need to add more felt.
Old 05-17-17, 11:16 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

When I go on bad roads, I hear some ticking or light rattles from the driver side panel OR vents. I'm not quite sure tho.. anyone had similar issues?
Old 05-17-17, 12:53 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

I tried motioning my elbow on the center console while holding down the release latch and the squeak seems to disappear. My gut tells me it is the catch making the noise, will check it further and see how it goes.
Old 05-18-17, 03:58 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Well, solved the "tick" or "squeak" sound by lining a few pieces of felt around the catch area and that annoying sound has disappeared.
Old 05-19-17, 11:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
When I go on bad roads, I hear some ticking or light rattles from the driver side panel OR vents. I'm not quite sure tho.. anyone had similar issues?
I believe I have the same issue. But it's very light/quiet and I often forget about it and can ignore it.

Right now I am dealing with a terrible rattle that sounds like it is coming from behind the steering wheel/under the gauges. It's very loud. I am going in Monday to have it looked at. For once I am confident we can reproduce it.
Old 05-22-17, 10:52 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

After sticking those spongy things there, the center console is now squeak-free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center console squeak