IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake rotors... to turn or not to turn, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 03:43 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Brake rotors... to turn or not to turn, that is the question.

First off, yes, I read through the comprehensive ISF brake thread as well as Caymandive's very helpful DIY. For all of the work on my car that I don't do myself, I take it to one of two independent shops in my area that I trust with my car. When mentioning that I was switching out to Project Mu pads, one of the techs said that I should also turn the rotors. I hadn't even considered doing this. I was just planning to bed the pads in with some 60-10mph stops like Caymandive suggested and calling it a day.

My car has just shy of 25K miles on the odo, and none of those have been track miles. I last measured my front rotors at over 29mm (I can't remember the exact measurement, but this was done just 2 months ago when I lowered the front on Swift springs) so I don't think the rotors are almost shot. The brake pads definitely are ready to be replaced though, as they're into and going past the squeal bars and are super thin.

I know opinions vary, but who here has had their rotors turned, and if so, why? I wasn't planning on doing it, but now am reconsidering.
Old 07-06-13, 07:40 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is kind of a touchy subject for a lot of people. I personally don't ever turn the rotors. It seems when I have done it in the past, within a few thousand miles they exhibit the dreaded shudder when braking. I am in the same boat as I just purchased my ISF a few months ago and my front pads will need replacing in a few thousand miles. The rotors still look fine, no cracks or major scoring. I'm just going to install project mu pads and not turn the rotors. If the rotors look like they need to be turned, Ill replace them before I go down that road.
Old 07-06-13, 07:56 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the reason is that u can cause more damage by resurfacing them and also it depends on the person doing it. resurfacing the rotors will shave off some miles on ur rotors. since ur at 29mm ur halfway there and it will probably take another close to 25k miles for the rotors to be used up. i was in a similar situation but I just slap on my pads and bed them in and go. this was for the rear though. the front I swap at like 8k which was on the dash when I bought the car.
Old 07-06-13, 04:40 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... if turning them does more harm than good. As we know, rotors are not cheap for this car, and I have no interest in prematurely wearing them out. If I can even make it another 12k miles, I'll be cool with that.
Old 07-06-13, 08:20 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it also depends on the equipment that is being used also, along with the operator.

As for me, when it comes time...if I can machine the rotors (thickness is with spec), then that's what I am going to do.
Old 07-06-13, 08:23 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I never turn the rotors, after two to three times of slapping pads and bleeding fluid I just buy all new oem stuff.
Old 07-06-13, 08:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

If the rotors are not grooved, warped or cracked and are within spec. - Why would you even consider turning them. Slap on new pads, bed them, and your good to go. And if they are grooved, warped, cracked or to thin, new rotors would be in order. Truthfully, I can think of no reason, in this day and age, to turn any rotor.

Lou
Old 07-08-13, 12:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Unless they're centerless ground, turning them will make your braking worse not better. I never turn rotors. I buy them with a factory finish which is centerless ground and run them until they're either cracked beyond limits or worn beyond limits. When the pads wear out, I just put in new pads and bed them in.

Turning on a conventional brake lathe makes a spiral groove in the disc. This groove actually forces you to push harder on the pedal for the same amount of braking, and in severe cases can make it impossible to engage ABS. I have a set of turned rotors here in the garage if you want to experience the worst braking you'll ever feel on an IS-F. You pay shipping and I'll be happy to send them to you. I think they're junk.
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (05-26-19)
Old 07-08-13, 12:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Unless they're centerless ground, turning them will make your braking worse not better. I never turn rotors. I buy them with a factory finish which is centerless ground and run them until they're either cracked beyond limits or worn beyond limits. When the pads wear out, I just put in new pads and bed them in.

Turning on a conventional brake lathe makes a spiral groove in the disc. This groove actually forces you to push harder on the pedal for the same amount of braking, and in severe cases can make it impossible to engage ABS. I have a set of turned rotors here in the garage if you want to experience the worst braking you'll ever feel on an IS-F. You pay shipping and I'll be happy to send them to you. I think they're junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
designo (05-23-19), Wh0pp3r (05-23-19)
Old 05-23-19, 01:10 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

I concur with this now, I should have told my Lexus dealer not to when they informed me that they had to do it.
I also installed Project Mu and although the initial bite is much sharper, the over all braking pressure has now increased.
Old 05-23-19, 12:40 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I saw an on car brake lathe....pretty cool.