GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Old 07-19-10, 07:46 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Lightbulb Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

As probably all of you know the 5k and 10K service is complementary. The oil change is part of the 10k service. Lexus change oil change intervals to 10k and to use synthetic oil.

I am not the most comfortable to wait to 10k to change the oil for the first time even if it is a synthetic oil.

Did anyone change their oil themselves and can provide quick DIY and maybe include pictures as well? I don't want start unscrewing every panel/skid plate under the engine bay to look for oil filter and drain plug.

Thanks!

Last edited by Luke27617; 07-19-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 11:54 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm going to change mine every 5,000 miles. I take mine to the local Toyota dealer. They use the same oil and filter. They're also much cheaper than the Lexus dealer. My Lexus dealer is 110 miles away each direction. Make sure they use 0W20 full synthetic oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by Craig B:
2650 (01-28-24), ballistice (05-20-22)
Old 07-19-10, 06:40 PM
Balooo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, save some money and do Mother Earth a favor...10,000 mile interval oil change is perfectly fine for our GX 460's using the recommended oil.
almost all new cars have 7,500 mile recommended oil change intervals these days even those not using synthetic oil. Your GX has a darn good warranty from Lexus they don't want engine headaches any more then you do.
Engines are much better engineered these days I understand the intention but 5,000 mile oil changes (for most GX owners) is way overkill and simply not needed on the GX 460 unless you tow near limit loads often.
Old 07-19-10, 07:16 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is same issue on the 2010 4runner, Toyota recommends 10k interval change, but ive seen many people change it at 5000. Not sure if I would change it at 5K.
Old 07-19-10, 08:10 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Some things to add:

1. I want to replace the oil early as I tow a boat and to make sure all the flashing and casting were out. Newer cars shouldn't have many castings, just good to be sure.

2. I like that Toyota tries to be be green but I don't want to be part of an experiment of oil change interval. That is why I will change every 7500 max (5000 when towing). Warranty is nice, while you have it. Somehow problems always start when the warranty is out.

3. Toyota moves to 0W-20 oil to increase the CAFE reported to the Federal Government. Oil which is not as easy to buy, doesn't come in Gallon jug (cheaper) and is not offered in quick oil change places forcing customers to go to dealerships where you will pay $70+ (Toyota dealers), 100+ at Lexus. If you don't live in colder climates use the 5W-20 as it will not make a difference (Lexus manual allows, but states to come back 0W-20 the next oil change - only necessary in cold climate where it helps engine wear in cold start time).

4. I have changed oil always myself, so why change the fun. It will cost me only $35 (8qt Synthetic Mobile 1 5W-20 + oil filter).

Looks like noone has changed oil themselves yet. Looks like I will figure out myself tomorrow. Will take some pictures and post DIY.
The following 2 users liked this post by Luke27617:
ballistice (05-20-22), panardog (01-03-23)
Old 07-20-10, 06:37 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Some things to add:

1. I want to replace the oil early as I tow a boat and to make sure all the flashing and casting were out. Newer cars shouldn't have many castings, just good to be sure.

2. I like that Toyota tries to be be green but I don't want to be part of an experiment of oil change interval. That is why I will change every 7500 max (5000 when towing). Warranty is nice, while you have it. Somehow problems always start when the warranty is out.

3. Toyota moves to 0W-20 oil to increase the CAFE reported to the Federal Government. Oil which is not as easy to buy, doesn't come in Gallon jug (cheaper) and is not offered in quick oil change places forcing customers to go to dealerships where you will pay $70+ (Toyota dealers), 100+ at Lexus. If you don't live in colder climates use the 5W-20 as it will not make a difference (Lexus manual allows, but states to come back 0W-20 the next oil change - only necessary in cold climate where it helps engine wear in cold start time).

4. I have changed oil always myself, so why change the fun. It will cost me only $35 (8qt Synthetic Mobile 1 5W-20 + oil filter).

Looks like noone has changed oil themselves yet. Looks like I will figure out myself tomorrow. Will take some pictures and post DIY.
http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-96995-Sy...9676119&sr=8-1

go with the 0w-20. i am interested in this , please post up pics when you do. I assume you have filter wrench and all?
Old 07-20-10, 07:11 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Ok, I have done the oil change myself. Here is a quick DIY and observation regarding the drained oil.

1. Draining oil is easy. In the middle of the skid plate, there is a small plate held by couple screws. Just unscrew it and you will find drain bolt.

The oil filter is more difficult to get to and a little messy to change. To see it you need to turn steering wheel to the right and looking from passenger side (from front of the tire) you will see the filter at front (toward middle of the truck). Not easy to get to as you cannot get from under neat. Don't waste $ on buying filter wrench from Toyota. You can get one on Ebay for a fraction of the cost. I have bought one for my GS350 and fits perfectly.

2. Changing oil every 10k miles.
For sure I don't recommend. I have currently 4400 miles on the truck and I was very surprised how dark brown was the oil. For sure I would not wait until 10k miles before oil change. I think the only reason the oil would be that brown is maybe the original oil the truck came with was not synthetic. I cannot imagine how the oil would like at the 10k. For sure not good for the engine.

BTW, don't buy oil from Amazon. It is overpriced and you can get cheaper locally, but 0W is still overpriced comparing to 5W. You can buy the 5W gallon jug for $21 (Mobile 1 Synthetic). The only difference between 0W and 5W is the cold start temperature. If you are not starting the truck up in very cold climate, there is no difference in either one.
The following users liked this post:
panardog (01-03-23)
Old 07-20-10, 07:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

how many quarts did you use? Where did you get oil filter, sewell?
thats very interesting that the oil is this dirty. Was your filter very dirty?
Not sure wtf toyota is thinking here. If my oil is that dirty, i would change it too at 5k.
Old 07-20-10, 08:03 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
how many quarts did you use? Where did you get oil filter, sewell?
thats very interesting that the oil is this dirty. Was your filter very dirty?
Not sure wtf toyota is thinking here. If my oil is that dirty, i would change it too at 5k.
With oil filter change you will need 8.2qt. I got the filters from Sewell when I bought the side moldings. Don't forget about the discount we get there (create an account and add CL username).

I didn't see any particles in the oil filter which is good but it was dark as well.

Since I have the synthetic oil for sure now, I will check it in 5k miles and see the color. The next oil change will be around the 10K free by lexus. Based on the color, I will decided what intervals I will use going forward. For sure will never stretch it to 10k.
Old 07-21-10, 10:05 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8.2 quarts of synthetic can do 10k without skipping a beat, many car owners are running 5k intervals with synthetic and their engines only hold 5 quarts, your probably throwing away oil that is not even used.

Read up on bob is the oil guy forums and see what other owners used oil analysis are saying, I understand your concern but maybe you should get an actual oil analysis and see whats going on in your engine and not just go by what you think.

Then again I understand not wanting to mess up an expensive truck
Old 07-22-10, 04:52 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
8.2 quarts of synthetic can do 10k without skipping a beat, many car owners are running 5k intervals with synthetic and their engines only hold 5 quarts, your probably throwing away oil that is not even used.

Read up on bob is the oil guy forums and see what other owners used oil analysis are saying, I understand your concern but maybe you should get an actual oil analysis and see whats going on in your engine and not just go by what you think.

Then again I understand not wanting to mess up an expensive truck
That is why I will be observing how the synthetic oil is doing and change it in 6k or so (free by Lexus then). I speculate that the original oil the truck came with was not synthetic. If it is true, Toyota may be screwing all of us by making us run on regular oil for 10k. For me not worth the gamble.

Since I have changeg the oil, the truck seems to run smoother, but that is probably just in my head
Old 07-22-10, 06:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Luke27617
That is why I will be observing how the synthetic oil is doing and change it in 6k or so (free by Lexus then). I speculate that the original oil the truck came with was not synthetic. If it is true, Toyota may be screwing all of us by making us run on regular oil for 10k. For me not worth the gamble.

Since I have changeg the oil, the truck seems to run smoother, but that is probably just in my head
does that oil have any additives for break in period?
Old 07-22-10, 06:45 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
does that oil have any additives for break in period?
I doubt it. Never heard about manufacturer adding additives.
Old 08-14-10, 04:37 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil Filter Location

Where is the oil filter located on the new 4.6?

Koz
Old 08-14-10, 05:38 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
Where is the oil filter located on the new 4.6?

Koz
Turn the wheels to the right. Looking from passenger side front wheel (3 o'clock) look toward engine compartment. You will see it there toward middle of the truck. Not the easiest way to get there and change it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion