Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 09:26 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Yesterday I had the chance to test out Mothers' new tire dressing; Back to Black Tire Shine.

I'm very picky with what I use on the tires of my car so I decided to test it out on my grandparents' 2006 Buick Lucerne. I chose their car in particular because they just recently had new tires put on which have never had any previous tire dressing applied. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to see if Mothers' new tire dressing really did bring back the black.

Here is the test subject next to the products being used. To spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire I used a Cobra Flex Foam Applicator. I really like these because they are big and easy to hold.

Before application.

Back to Back Tire Shine comes in a 24oz spray bottle that's very comfortable to hold and the dressing itself is transparent.

I did about 6 VERY light sprays for one half of the tire.

I used the Cobra Flex Foam Applicator to spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire.

Here you can see the right side of the tire has been treated with Back to Black Tire Shine while the left side has nothing on it.

I went ahead and did the rest of the tire and it turned out great. I was really impressed with the low-gloss finish and the fact that about 2 minutes after application it dried to the touch.

After doing all four tires I pulled the car out of the garage to get a picture in the sun.

Pros: Price, ease of use. It took very little product to do all four tires. It provided a very rich, low-gloss finish that dried to the touch.

Cons: Over spray. Even when held 6" from the tire using very light sprays, over spray is inevitable.

Summary: Great product for the price, but durability is yet to be determined though. I will check on how well it is holding up next weekend and report back.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Shine

Last edited by Nick@Autogeek; 01-31-11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 08:36 PM
Hawaii60
Driver School Candidate

Is this water or silicone based?
Old 02-02-11, 09:21 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
Back to Black Tire Shine is silicone based. Silicone, when formulated correctly, is not only safe but an incredibly effective ingredient in many automotive products today.
Old 02-02-11, 05:36 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii60
i was gonna ask the exact same question.
Old 04-25-18, 05:04 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice matte finish. I like it!
Old 07-27-19, 05:03 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

For plastic trim I prefer Adam's Trim Restore, it lasts months and performs better than any spray on. I've yet to try a spray on that lasts months. It's actually a black coating and not an enhancer.

Last edited by charley95; 07-27-19 at 03:58 PM. Reason: adding more wording