Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-09, 04:06 AM
anubis24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?

Trying to sell the car and get a newer GS for the wife. Of course once I decided to sell it, the CEL has been going on and off and eventually just stayed on. and....the car is due for an emissions inspection.

Mechanic checked the code and said it was the driver side cat. Quoted something like $1500 or so plus labor.

Do I have to use OEM parts or can I go aftermarket? Are there any other workarounds anyone knows of? and...how can I check to see if its really the cats and not a gasket leak or bad sensor?
Old 12-06-09, 10:38 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

replaced one on my LS (same as GS) at a tick under 100k miles under warranty

IMO it probably was a bad gasket creating the condition but the "test" said bad catalyst so the dealer just replaced of course with new gaskets.

I would first have the gaskets replaced. Relatively inexpensive. If in fact the cat is bad I would buy an aftermarket one and have a decent muffler shop cut the flanges from the stock one and weld in place in the correct position on the new cat. The cat itself should be well under $200 and the labor under that as well.
Old 12-12-09, 03:39 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What codes are you getting exactly? I had a code for a bad cat, but after replacing an 02 sensor it went away and has not come back. Get the codes scanned.. autozone does it for free and post them up.
Old 12-13-09, 06:36 PM
jz4203
Rookie

1) Check the gaskets as jbrady says; common problem. If you feel exhaust air escaping then replace the gaskets or go to AutoZone or similar and buy some hi-temp cement and cover it up.
2) Check for exhaust leaks. Mine was uncovered when I removed the heat shield on the Y-pipe and where that was conected I had leaks. My mechanic welded some patches and never had a problem since. You might be able to use the cement there as a temporary fix until you trade the car.
3) Try switching your O2 sensors and see if the code moves with it. If so, then replace the O2 sensor that is bad.

All these are pretty easy to do/check before you sink in the money for a new cat.
Old 12-14-09, 05:35 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
replaced one on my LS (same as GS) at a tick under 100k miles under warranty

IMO it probably was a bad gasket creating the condition but the "test" said bad catalyst so the dealer just replaced of course with new gaskets.

I would first have the gaskets replaced. Relatively inexpensive. If in fact the cat is bad I would buy an aftermarket one and have a decent muffler shop cut the flanges from the stock one and weld in place in the correct position on the new cat. The cat itself should be well under $200 and the labor under that as well.
After the install of the new cats did your car feel any better? Peppier or more responsive?
Old 12-14-09, 08:59 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
After the install of the new cats did your car feel any better? Peppier or more responsive?
Your car will feel more responsive with a high flow or non existent cat converter.
Old 12-14-09, 09:38 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Your car will feel more responsive with a high flow or non existent cat converter.
How can you tell if you have a blockage? If a blockage is there...is there anyway to clear it out yourself or is the cat just trash at that point?
Old 12-15-09, 01:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

The stock 1998-2000 catalysts are VERY high flow metal substrate core designs. I do NOT recommend removing or replacing. In most instances the cats will HELP low end power and response. The 2001+ cars which are rated ULEV vs LEV went to a higher density ceramic cat that still flows decently but not as well as the metal core cats with larger less dense passages.

Rock, no, car felt the same. As I said I DOUBT the cat was bad just that was the "reading" and therefore Lexus blindly replace or CLAIMED to replace it??? I really do not know if they did or not. Could be easy money if they replaced a gasket and billed Lexus warranty division for a new catalyst.
Old 12-15-09, 01:09 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

How can you tell if you have a blockage? If a blockage is there...is there anyway to clear it out yourself or is the cat just trash at that point?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_convertor

You have 'blockage' constantly. Having no cat, you'd have no blockage, which would increase exhaust gas flow....it's like installing a pair of headers on your car, less restrictive than the stock ones.

Now....it is illegal in some states to have a cat removed. It can actually result jail time if you get caught without one.
Old 12-16-09, 05:17 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_convertor

You have 'blockage' constantly. Having no cat, you'd have no blockage, which would increase exhaust gas flow....it's like installing a pair of headers on your car, less restrictive than the stock ones.

Now....it is illegal in some states to have a cat removed. It can actually result jail time if you get caught without one.
So then how does it go bad? The blockage gets blocked? lol

Also, do we (GS400 guys) have (3) separate cats or just (1) "3-way" cat?
Old 12-16-09, 04:47 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

So then how does it go bad? The blockage gets blocked? lol

Also, do we (GS400 guys) have (3) separate cats or just (1) "3-way" cat?
In addition to being illegal the car will loose low end response and power if cats are removed and top end power will change very little maybe 5hp.

GS400 has 2 cats one on each manifold (or header )
GS430 has 3 cats, two like GS400 and one center cat as the two pipes join.

The GS430 cats do not flow as high as the GS400 cats but they still flow well.

The stock cats are NOT a "blockage".

The metal cats are more durable than the ceramic cats but neither are likely to fail under normal use.

Here are some pics. First is a BMW metal core, next is a ceramic core, final is a damaged "clogged" ceramic cat.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?-bmw-e46-m3-emitec-100-cpi-metal-catalyst-core.jpg   Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?-bmw-e46-m3-400-cpi-ceramic-oem-catalyst-core.jpg   Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?-bmw-e46-m3-400-cpi-ceramic-oem-catalyst-core-melted.jpg  
Old 12-19-09, 10:09 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

You can take it to any competent muffler shop and they can drill a small hole before and after the cat and use a small pressure sensor to get readings. My Olds 442 had a bad power issue. The pressure was pegged before the cat and non-exisitent after the cap. I gained a lot of power back and my car didn't overheat anymore after cat replacement.
Old 12-19-09, 09:31 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

what if you just put in aftermarket headers with y-pipe will this be better then replacing the cats
Old 03-01-10, 08:17 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you saying that the GS400 cat are different than the gs430 cat? Or are you just saying the 430 is more restrictive because of the 3rd cat?

I noticed that OEM cat can possibly be modified to have a larger area inlet. I have an aftermarket header and wonder if I'll gain anything. It won't do any good if the 3rd cat is maxed out.
Old 03-02-10, 09:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
Are you saying that the GS400 cat are different than the gs430 cat? Or are you just saying the 430 is more restrictive because of the 3rd cat?

I noticed that OEM cat can possibly be modified to have a larger area inlet. I have an aftermarket header and wonder if I'll gain anything. It won't do any good if the 3rd cat is maxed out.
Yes, the 430 cats are different than the 400 cats. 400 = metal substrate core, 430 = cermamic with more cells per inch similar to the above pictures. The more cells the more divider material and the smaller each cell area. The cell is actually the end of a tube that extends through the cat core. The lower the cell count and larger each "tube" diameter the less restriction is created. As I said the 430 cats still flow well just not as well as the 400s and the 430s of course have the 3rd cat in the Y pipe. In testing a 400 with stock Y pipe and a 430 pipe there was no difference on the Dynojet. This was just one test but doesn't really surprise me.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had to replace their Catalytic Converter?