RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 03:23 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

So, I was checking in at Edmunds.com, and reading their owner reviews.

A surprising number of people posted that the seats felt "thin" and uncomfortable.

Any one here agree/disagree?

Our #1 priority is seating comfort for road trips, so this is a concern for me.

TIA,

Sandi
Old 10-25-09, 03:36 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've only had mine for 5 days, but I am happy with the multiple seat adjustments and the comfortable seating positions they provide. It sure seems like it would be a great road car.
Old 10-25-09, 03:48 PM
Shane D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sandi_k

A surprising number of people posted that the seats felt "thin" and uncomfortable.

TIA,

Sandi
Have you tested any out? I had one out for about 30 to 40 minutes and it was incredibly comfortable. Coming from a sports sedan it was like floating in a nice lazy boy/favourite chair. But you probably want feedback from actual owners that have a lot of time behind the wheel.

One last comment. This felt and drove WAY better than a GLK.
Old 10-25-09, 04:26 PM
tonyhui
Driver School Candidate

I took my RX450h for a three weeks 6000 miles road trip and the seats were definitely comfortable. On some days we spent over 12 hours in the car and still no sore back or any discomfort. You really need to spend at least 3 or 4 hours sitting in the seat to tell if they are truely comfortable.

Tony
Old 10-25-09, 04:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interesting. I have had a chance to sit in these 2010 seats, and they are way way more comfortable than my 04. i especially like he cushion extender cause of my long legs
Old 10-25-09, 04:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm 5'11', not obese, and these seats are better than 05 Rx. Longest time spent sitting without gettin out = 4 hrs. Having vented seats traveling through the desert in summer is AWESOME! Of course, all this seat comfort stuff is my opinion...my butt sensitivity is likely different from the next person's. I like soft and cushy now that I'm older, just not into the Wehrmacht stiff sport stuff. Even when younger, didn't like those F-15 thin cushions for more than an hour.
Old 10-25-09, 04:47 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TIA,

Sandi
Sandi, Seats are a big issue for me in that I have back trouble. There is probably more metal in my back than in our RX. I have always found seat design to be a shortcoming for Lexus. I can tell you the seats in the 2010 RX are a big step ahead of the prior RX seat design, and the cushion extensions are a must! Your comfort has to be the final test, not my opinion. Good luck.
Old 10-25-09, 05:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sandi, I agree with everyone. The seats are better. I thought they were 'thinner' too but after making a few adjustments, they were fine.
Old 10-25-09, 07:50 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi, Seats are a big issue for me in that I have back trouble. There is probably more metal in my back than in our RX. I have always found seat design to be a shortcoming for Lexus. I can tell you the seats in the 2010 RX are a big step ahead of the prior RX seat design, and the cushion extensions are a must! Your comfort has to be the final test, not my opinion. Good luck.
Yeah, I've test-driven it twice, and it was smoother than any of the other 10 cars I tested. But I can't get a rental for a long-term weekend trip. Darn it!

My husband had spinal surgery in 2005, and I had a spinal fusion of the neck last December. So it's CRITICAL that we are comfy for the road trips - and that's why I'm selling my current car.

Thanks, DNC.

Sandi
Old 10-25-09, 07:51 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi, I agree with everyone. The seats are better. I thought they were 'thinner' too but after making a few adjustments, they were fine.
Thanks, Anita.

-S
Old 10-25-09, 07:52 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyhui
I took my RX450h for a three weeks 6000 miles road trip and the seats were definitely comfortable. On some days we spent over 12 hours in the car and still no sore back or any discomfort. You really need to spend at least 3 or 4 hours sitting in the seat to tell if they are truely comfortable.

Tony
Tony, I'd love to spend 3-4 hours in one. Unfortunately, no one is renting the RX350, so a 20 minute test drive is all I have to go by.

Glad to hear your road trip was comfy. That's inspiring.

Sandi
Old 10-25-09, 07:54 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shane D
Have you tested any out? I had one out for about 30 to 40 minutes and it was incredibly comfortable. Coming from a sports sedan it was like floating in a nice lazy boy/favourite chair. But you probably want feedback from actual owners that have a lot of time behind the wheel.

One last comment. This felt and drove WAY better than a GLK.
Shane, of course I've driven one. I can't think of many people who'd buy a $45K car without a test drive. But test drives are not road trips, and comfort does matter. Thus the question.

I wasn't looking at the GLK - I had other comparators, and I agree that the RX350 is the best middle ground between comfort and handling thus far.

Sandi
Old 10-25-09, 07:55 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeP
I've only had mine for 5 days, but I am happy with the multiple seat adjustments and the comfortable seating positions they provide. It sure seems like it would be a great road car.
Thanks, Mike, appreciate the perspective.

Sandi
Old 10-25-09, 08:31 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I've test-driven it twice, and it was smoother than any of the other 10 cars I tested. But I can't get a rental for a long-term weekend trip. Darn it!

My husband had spinal surgery in 2005, and I had a spinal fusion of the neck last December. So it's CRITICAL that we are comfy for the road trips - and that's why I'm selling my current car.

Thanks, DNC.

Sandi
Sandi, Knowing of your neck issue I am more concerned now about how the headrest will feel to you.
Old 10-26-09, 09:46 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

TIA,

Sandi
Hi Sandi,

I ended up trading my 2009 the end of August for a 2010 based on seat comfort alone. The 2nd gen seats were very uncomfortable for me and after 7 months I finally turned it in ($$ ouch $$) for a Cerulean blue w/Parchment2010. I've had it now for about 2 months and find the seats to be much better than the 2009. When I drive to work in the morning they feel great, when I drive home from work after sitting all day, I find myself squirming around to get comfortable, but I believe that is because of sitting for 8 hours at work...it's not the fault of the seat. Just as a comparison, I sat in the new 2010 Cadillac SRX and the seats were extemely comfortable...along with a manual seat extender (for long legs, the extender feels great) the seat is also constructed with a separate cushion that makes them very cushie and comfortable. Volvo's seats are super comfortable too. I hope this helps, because you want to be comfy in your car.

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)