LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

If normal, where does your temperature gauge needle read?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 07:38 PM
haulin79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If normal, where does your temperature gauge needle read?

If operating correctly, where does your temperature gauge needle read?

I have a 99 LS and mine normally reads right on the third mark. i.e. the mark that is just below middle.

My coworker thinks my thermostat needs replacing but he doesn't have and LS...he has a 2003 Tundra.
Old 11-16-09, 08:51 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a 92 and that is where mine falls as well. Test for thermostat blockage,, warm the car up to temperature,, go under the hood and locate the 2 radiator hoses, both hoses should be equally as hot to the touch. If one hose(normally the upper) is SUPER hot, while the lower one is hot but can be gripped(for a short period,,don't want you burning yourself) with your hand; thermostat is not working correctly and should be replaced.
Old 11-17-09, 01:47 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems normal to me as my 95 reads on the same place as yours (i.e. around 3.30 on the clock).

//Björn
Old 02-25-10, 11:35 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Question: Is there anything to be concerned about if the temperature gauge is not consistent? What I mean is, is it normal for the temp. gauge to fluctuate somewhat?

I'm driving in 34 degree temperature and it seems that the temperature gauge will fluctuate a bit. It never went to a point where I was concerned with overheating, but I have a feeling that the temp gauge fluctuating is not normal. My dad's '99 4Runner's temp gauge is solid no matter the temperature. Same goes for my mom's '05 Accord V6.

Is there something wrong with my cooling system?

By the way it is a 1997 LS400 with 234,500 miles. The timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, and coolant was done at 183,000 miles.

Last edited by Lsportline43; 02-25-10 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 04:28 AM
vdeleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by haulin79
If operating correctly, where does your temperature gauge needle read?

I have a 99 LS and mine normally reads right on the third mark. i.e. the mark that is just below middle.

My coworker thinks my thermostat needs replacing but he doesn't have and LS...he has a 2003 Tundra.
My 99LS (198K miles) also stays just below the MID (although MID does not have a mark) but it just stays there no matter what. I warm my engine in the morning until the idle comes down to norm which is within 3-4 minutes
Old 02-26-10, 05:12 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Question: Is there anything to be concerned about if the temperature gauge is not consistent? What I mean is, is it normal for the temp. gauge to fluctuate somewhat?

I'm driving in 34 degree temperature and it seems that the temperature gauge will fluctuate a bit. It never went to a point where I was concerned with overheating, but I have a feeling that the temp gauge fluctuating is not normal. My dad's '99 4Runner's temp gauge is solid no matter the temperature. Same goes for my mom's '05 Accord V6.

Is there something wrong with my cooling system?

By the way it is a 1997 LS400 with 234,500 miles. The timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, and coolant was done at 183,000 miles.
I'd swap out your thermostat. In my experience it really shouldn't fluctuate when the car is fully warmed up.
Old 02-26-10, 08:11 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I'd swap out your thermostat. In my experience it really shouldn't fluctuate when the car is fully warmed up.
I completely agree. I will try this first.

Never did a thermostat change. Is it difficult?
Old 02-26-10, 08:43 AM
theLS400
Driver School Candidate

My 90 i just had to fix alot of issues on and now my normal temp guage is about 3 slots under HOT! could this be my temp sensor also? and would a coolant temp sensor make the car have a faint miss in it?
Old 02-26-10, 02:49 PM
Acidic
Driver

Where it sits is not usually a concern as long as it warms up and stays consistent with a little variation for driving conditions (a little equals like 1/8th of an inch?). It's the job of the termostat to stay closed when too cool and open when keeping the engine cool. If is warming up and going all the way hot something is wrong, stop driving it and fix it... if it's warming up and then varying only to the cold side the termostat is stuck open... this is less dangerous but the engine loses efficiency. All in all don't read to much into where your gauge sits in relation to other's people gauges as long as it's consistent. This is also why new cars are programmed to sit dead center as long as the reading is within a certain range then go all the way cold or hot as it goes out of range..
Old 02-26-10, 09:11 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acidic
Where it sits is not usually a concern as long as it warms up and stays consistent with a little variation for driving conditions (a little equals like 1/8th of an inch?). It's the job of the termostat to stay closed when too cool and open when keeping the engine cool. If is warming up and going all the way hot something is wrong, stop driving it and fix it... if it's warming up and then varying only to the cold side the termostat is stuck open... this is less dangerous but the engine loses efficiency. All in all don't read to much into where your gauge sits in relation to other's people gauges as long as it's consistent. This is also why new cars are programmed to sit dead center as long as the reading is within a certain range then go all the way cold or hot as it goes out of range..
Hmm... that's interesting. I wondered how modern cars were so consistent. So you're saying the computer keeps the gauge at a single spot, but in actuality the temperature is fluctuating somewhat?

I'm guess by '97 the LS400 was set to stay consistent as well? Meaning I should get the car looked at?
Old 02-26-10, 10:25 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what you are saying is that its not a gauge but an idiot light. I prefer a gauge because it can help diagones a potential problem before it gets out of hand. I guess toyota is like the democrats. They would rather make the decision for you.
Old 02-27-10, 07:39 AM
Acidic
Driver

yup, the new "temp guages" are simply idiot lights. I don't know when they switched over or if it's all car brands but I imagine it's universal...
Old 02-27-10, 05:59 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree. I will try this first.

Never did a thermostat change. Is it difficult?
very easy. just take off the coolant elbow at the front of the engine and toss another one in there.
Old 02-27-10, 06:15 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thermactor
very easy. just take off the coolant elbow at the front of the engine and toss another one in there.
Is coolant going to pour all over the place? I know I'm a noob...
Old 02-27-10, 07:05 PM
Acidic
Driver

Is coolant going to pour all over the place? I know I'm a noob...
Yes, it will... It's very easy to do though.. do the coolant temp sensor while you are there... I just did both today and now my gauge sits properly in the middle and doesn't go to the cold side...

Quick Reply: If normal, where does your temperature gauge needle read?