LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wire for O2 sensor pulled out of connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 12:30 PM
killer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wire for O2 sensor pulled out of connector

Well I decided to replace the O2 sensor on my 2002 LS430. There was a check engine light on with regardes to sensor 1 on Bank 1(drivers upstream sensor) The heater circut was bad on the sensor. obviously, I had to disconned the connector for the sensor. It was frozen on there and the access was so poor that it broke, and pulled a black wire from the back side of the connector, which is on the wiring Harness side of the connector. It was so difficult to even see up there that I cannot fix it without serious parts removal. I may have to take it to the dealer . Has anyone delt with the connector on the Harness, any idea what I or lexus needs to do to repair the connector?
Old 01-12-09, 02:26 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a local repair shop replace one of my sensors for $99 labor. I provided him the part as I bought it from ebay for about $70. Try calling around your local repair shops to check labor rates on installing an 02 sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1). Most shops use a computer taht gives an estimate on the labor rate by the parts needed to be changed. I hope this helps. My 02 sensor was frozen on the there as I was told by the tech and they had to rethread the hole again. When I tried to replace it myself, my hands could not get into the tight spaces and I just gave up and took it to a repair shop. The CEL went off also after they installed my 02 sensor. I hope this helps. Dealers will do the same job but soak you for more dollars.

DanozLS430...
Old 01-12-09, 03:41 PM
killer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, unfortunately, the I was able to replace the O2 sensor will little problem, but broke the connector in the process. I guess I will have to see what the dealer says, or go to a Independent repair shop. I better take out a line of credit to pay if I have to go to the dealer. wish me luck.
Old 05-12-11, 03:28 PM
pedro1954
Driver School Candidate

Default O2 Wiring Harness Issue

Originally Posted by killer
Thanks, unfortunately, the I was able to replace the O2 sensor will little problem, but broke the connector in the process. I guess I will have to see what the dealer says, or go to a Independent repair shop. I better take out a line of credit to pay if I have to go to the dealer. wish me luck.
I'm having a similar issue with my '04 LS430. Started with a P0031 CEL code (B1S1 Low Heater Current), replaced sensor with OEM Toyota part (off eBay), then after about 4-5 miles, came up with a P0134 CEL code (B1S1 No Activity).

BTW, a multimeter test between the two black wires ( heater filament ? ) on the new (eBay) sensor showed about 34.5 ohms resistance, the same test on the original (apparently-failed) sensor, was/is open circuit.To me this suggests a wiring problem, or are the codes messing with my brain? Am I assuming too much?

Does this mirror, in any way your lousy experience, and if so, how did you finally get it resolved ?

I sincerely hope luck prevailed!

Pedro.

Hey, any comments welcome!
Old 01-11-18, 05:35 PM
Will2001
Driver School Candidate

Default Damaged bank 1 sensor 1 female connector

I changed my bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor and had a heck of a time getting the connector apart. Wound up breaking the clip. I secured the connection with a zip tie top to bottom to keep it tight but wound up with a new code. P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed loop control" I read a previous thread that indicated likely cause is a damaged wire in the connector, possibly from me trying to disconnect the stuck connector.
Problem is I can't figure out how to get to the connector to trouble shoot/repair. Seems like I would need to pull the harness section up through the engine compartment to be able to work on it but doesn't seem possible. Any advice on how to repair the female connector would be greatly appreciated. 2001 LS 430
Old 01-11-18, 05:55 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The easiest way to fix this harness is to buy a replacement connector with pigtail wires. The part number is 90980−10869, and is readily available on eBay. Cut the existing wires and slice them to the new pigtails. Please note that there are 4 wires connected to this connector and 2 of them are black. Be sure each wire goes to the correct position on the new connector and don't swap the black wires.
Old 01-11-18, 06:06 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Will2001
I changed my bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor and had a heck of a time getting the connector apart. Wound up breaking the clip. I secured the connection with a zip tie top to bottom to keep it tight but wound up with a new code. P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed loop control" I read a previous thread that indicated likely cause is a damaged wire in the connector, possibly from me trying to disconnect the stuck connector.
Problem is I can't figure out how to get to the connector to trouble shoot/repair. Seems like I would need to pull the harness section up through the engine compartment to be able to work on it but doesn't seem possible. Any advice on how to repair the female connector would be greatly appreciated. 2001 LS 430

You are referring to the sensor and plug i have circled in purple correct? If so you would have to make sure the pin is on there and then it should slide back into the connector there is a little plastic barb inside the connector if that is broken you will need to get a new plug housing use a pin removal tool to remove the remaining pins and then put them in the new plug, or you could hard wire it into the plug female end by cutting that wire and crimping it to the sensor.
Old 01-12-18, 03:51 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Will2001
According to the factory repair manual, P0125 is related to a bad thermostat or bad engine coolant temperature sensor...

Old 01-17-18, 06:17 PM
Will2001
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the help with this one. I'm making an assumption that I damaged the wire on the connector and somehow that is generating the P0115 error code. I read that as a culprit on a previous thread. Prior to replacing the sensor everything was fine except I had the bank one sensor one code. Maybe I will just change the thermostat and then the engine temp sensor if needed and see if the error goes away. Not sure I get my hands in that tight spot to replace the connector. If anyone knows how to get that portion of the harness, please let me know. Thanks again for all the advice.