SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 06:24 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Successful SC430 Key Programming

After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnMD:
Debs (11-26-17), DJHydrogen (02-21-17), MattInLex (04-08-20)
Old 05-09-06, 08:00 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes, you can have more than one master key.

Standard issue with a new Lexus is two master keys, one valet key and one flat key. (At least that's what I got in 2002, and I got those 4 with my '04 RX).

I can think of no reason why you could not have 3 or 4 master or valet keys programmed to the same vehicle.

By the way, the batteries are readily available at Radio Shack for just a few bucks each, and it's a good idea to replace them from time to time, depending on use. If you notice that you have to be closer to the car than before in order to unlock, then probably the battery is getting low. (I replace mine about every 18-24 months.) You will need a set of those little screwdrivers you use for eyeglasses, but Radio Shack sells those also.
Old 05-09-06, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

congrats on getting the key programmed finally! for sure you can have more than 1 master key, though think each ecu has a max number of spare master keys you can make
Old 05-10-06, 05:46 AM
PROY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 masters, 1 valet and 1 card key which I used for the LuxLink install. One of the masters stopped working and I haven't found time to go back to the dealer. I tried the instructions on the forum and they also didn't work for me. I'll try this method and see what happens. I was wondering if it didn't work due to the card transponder key behind the dash near the ignition(something I don't like) to allow the remote start feature.
Old 05-10-06, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PROY
I have 2 masters, 1 valet and 1 card key which I used for the LuxLink install. One of the masters stopped working and I haven't found time to go back to the dealer. I tried the instructions on the forum and they also didn't work for me. I'll try this method and see what happens. I was wondering if it didn't work due to the card transponder key behind the dash near the ignition(something I don't like) to allow the remote start feature.
might be a dumb question, but have you tried changing the battery? if it was working, i dont' understand why it suddenly stop working (while the others work)?
Old 05-10-06, 09:36 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

If you have a remote card chip in place, any key with the proper cut should start the car. The card is to allow the flat aluminum key to work, which has no chip in it at all. So even if the battery in your key is dead, the key should work because the system is reading the chip in the card.

In fact, I think the chip does not use the battery. I think the battery is only for the remote buttons which send an RF signal. (I think the valet key does not have a battery, but clearly it does have a chip.)

Finally, if the remote start feature is working from your other master key, then the card is in place and is working fine.

I don't think the battery is the problem. I think your chip in that key got scrambled. Try taking out the card and try the key, just to see what happens.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-06, 06:41 PM
PROY
Rookie

the battery in the key is brand new, i'll try with the card key removed and see what happens
Old 05-10-06, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PROY
the battery in the key is brand new, i'll try with the card key removed and see what happens
that shouldn't be the problem, i have the card key inside the car for the autostart too and so far ok
Old 02-02-07, 11:47 PM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

Default Successful Masterkey programming

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John

I bought a new lexus master key off of ebay. It came with free key cutting. I paid 119 plus shipping. I saved a ton without the risk of buying a remote with the wrong "guts" internals. First, let me say that I tried different instructions and I came close to giving up. Long story short I did step two first because I couldnt get step 1 to work at first. While trying to program the remote (part 2), I had to turn the key twice (step 7 ) in order to add the second remote. Have all your remotes near you so you can add as many as you want. I then went back to step one (key programming), I tried several times and went back into the house. I decided to try again ( little angry now). I got into the car and followed the steps above as fast as I could and to my surprise the sec. light went off and i was able to start my car. I screamed so loud, I'm sure my entire neighborhood heard me. I have a 2004 SC430 just thought I would share so that someone else could save money too. The Fcc Id on the key is hyq12bbk. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Successful SC430 Key Programming-picture-22.jpg  

Last edited by CharliChic; 02-02-07 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-08-07, 08:56 AM
Hudini
Lead Lap

I have an 01 LS430...will this method work for it? I tried the other way and it didn't work. Let me know...
Old 03-09-07, 04:39 AM
CharliChic
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry I dont want to give you the wrong information since you have a
ls430 and not a sc430. What process are you trying to do? Add the remote part or add the key itself to your car. When adding the key portion I did the process faster than 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi. I will try to help but I need more information.
Old 12-23-08, 10:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just successfully programmed my master remote key for my 06' SC430 following JohnMD's instructions in the 1st post.

1st of all, thank you John for sharing that infos, it saved me at least $100!

2nd, the instructions is spot on, obviously since it worked for me

But it wasn't easy at all, it took many many try, I say at least 5~8 times, lost count there.

A few tips I like to share:

For the key programming, my experience was the same as CharliChic, I tried many times and it didn't work. Went to bed, woke up the next morning, go try it again, do the steps as fast as I can.....WA LA.....it worked!

For the remote programming, in step 7, I Turn ignition ON then OFF only ONE TIME. The critical part for me was when I press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button on the remote, I just hit it and release, as oppose to the instruction say to hold it for 2 seconds, same for pressing the lock button once, just hit it quickly once, don't hold it.

It worked for me, and it is a 06', so I am guessing it would work on all years SC430.
Old 09-04-09, 03:04 PM
hillsj2
Driver School Candidate

I found ACC-ON works much better. if you go to far and get to LOCK position you will not get the flashing light. also putting the new key in the on position seemed to be required rather than just in the ignition for programming to complete
Old 09-12-09, 06:40 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my master keys just broke today. I'm considering getting a flip / folding key case:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_nkw=sc430+folding+key
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sc430+flip+key

I'm confused by "key programming" vs. "remote programming". I'm going to keep the remote "guts" of the broken master, but is there a chip in the master key itself? I can understand that for the valet and card key.

Also, any opinions on brass vs. nickel steel? It looks like the cheaper key (the first) link is brass.
Old 10-07-09, 02:46 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I got my folding key from eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_nkw=sc430+folding+key

However, it's too long (which I can probably fix myself), and I haven't had any success (yet) finding a company that will cut it for me. My dealer in Plano said they won't do it because "we only cut keys we sell, if it’s from ebay we can’t. They screw up our machine." Two locksmiths in Dallas so far have said they won't, either (no explanation).

I haven't tried Sewell yet -- my next attempt.
Any other suggestions?
I can't imagine that no one in Dallas will do it.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming