GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 09:43 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter

Installed a new K&N filter and was suprised by the size of the OEM filter, the K&N is about 3/4in. and the OEM is about 2in., besides theres another filter at the top inside of the air box, it is a thin, kind of a a/c filter, all this restricts the air flow, no wonder the truck is a gas guzzler, wondering if to take the filter attached to the airbox out, it is glued so I dont know if it cant be replaced in the future, hope to see better fuel comsuption...
Old 09-25-04, 06:34 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on the milege. I have been kicking around changing to a K&N. I have them in all my other vehicles. Did you notice any power change after the filter swap? I would take a hair dryer to the other filter glue a take that one out too.
Old 09-26-04, 09:09 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Default Kbach

I did what you recomended, I remove the second filter, WOW it even sound smoother, rpm is stable and stays at 1000.

Ok before filter change my miles per gallon as per onboard computer was 14.9 after second tank fill up, it says 15.3, this is driving the same way I usually do, well did some hard acceleration from a stop and speeding on highways.

Engine sounds louder, not a annoying sound, like it needed to breath more.

From a stop to hard accelaration I did feel the difference, passing another car, it felt faster.

H.P. increase, I will say yes but not like they ( K&N site ) mentions.

They dont mention fuel economy but hey from 14.9 to 15.3 at least it is something.
Old 12-02-04, 03:41 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Hello,

For those of you who have replaced the OEM air filter, with the K&N brand. Can someone please let me know what is the correct part number for the 2003? The K&N web site shown no matching air filter for the 2003 GX470 model. Is this correct? They only show part number 33-2144 for the 2004 GX470.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-02-04, 04:33 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Same number for the 4runner v8 also, same engine no problem, my order was for a 2004 4runner they did not have it for the 2003-04 GX470, 2003 and 2004 have the same engine, hope this helps.
Old 12-04-04, 08:46 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Hate to rain on your parade but that filter is not going to improve your performance, all it is going to do is let more dirt pass into your engine causing increased wear. The biggest cause of engine wear is from dirt getting into your engine though the air filter, not from poor quality engine oil. If you are going to run one of these air filters you might as well run the lowest grade dino oil for 25K miles without a filter change. These air filters are a big waste of money. Toyota makes great filters and parts for their vehicles, use them and your Lexus will last a long time. Do some research and you will find out I'm not kidding. This is another reason I never want to buy a used vehicle.
Old 12-04-04, 03:35 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

PitBull, I agree with you on the K&N. Cummins engine company had a statement on their web site, that using a K&N air filter would void the engine warranty and that it "DID NOT" meet their spec's. Besides if the stock air filter was that restrictive it would cause the engine to run too rich and that would be an emissions problem.
Old 12-04-04, 05:51 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

All of what u say is just BS, have had K&N on all my vehicles and they are doing their job for which they were created, none OEM filters do their job, well let say yes, they filter to a grade that your engine starts consuming more gas when they are clogged , my question is, why is TRD filters recomended by Toyota http://www.trdperformance.com/accessories/filters.htm they are made by Toyota.
Old 12-04-04, 06:12 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pitbull likes to rant on and on about filters...
Old 12-04-04, 08:20 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by RAM MAN
PitBull, I agree with you on the K&N. Cummins engine company had a statement on their web site, that using a K&N air filter would void the engine warranty and that it "DID NOT" meet their spec's. Besides if the stock air filter was that restrictive it would cause the engine to run too rich and that would be an emissions problem.
I've read that myself, I owned a 2000 3500 4x4 CTD. Hey if woogie and lexluder want to run their vehicles with any filter they want I don't care. Just trying to enlighten them to the risks they are taking.
Old 12-05-04, 04:08 AM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

Pitbull, Yes I was just trying to warn them too. But how anyone can truly believe that the engineers at Lexus, would design an air induction system that is restrictive enough that it will cause horsepower and fuel economy constraints? And also that simply changing the air filter will correct this error.
Everyone is looking for the “magic pill” to cure something. The problem is, we all know most medications have side effects.
Old 12-05-04, 09:38 AM
LexLuder
Rookie

First of all I dont want to create a you say I say argument, I did not bought the filter for saving gas purposes, I knew this from the beggining that GX was a gas guzzler all my vehicles are gas guzzler's a little help for saving gas is welcomed, specially on a long haul, I did it for H.P. increase, of all the suv's I tetsted the GX470 was my pick, only concern was the power for which I am not that crazy knowing a suv is not for speeding, what made me mad was to see a Pathfinder with a v6 245 H.P. engine passing me like if my truck was parked, darn was I sick, my brand spanking new Lexus left behind by a middle class suv, but someday I will do him the same with my bmmr, now the new GX is comming with a 270 H.P. must wait till 2006 for the change mean time I will stick to my 247 H.P.K&N engine.

I used the first K&N filter in 1994 in a 1993 Jeep Gand Cherokee, the guy who bought the jeep from me still have it and he kept the filter and it still runs like new with over 200k's miles, last nite I called him to asked him if he had had any problems with the engine, besides the tune up kit, a water pump, alternator and the regular oil change, she is still running fine.

RamMan, have you used one of those filters in your vehicle? I ask this because I like to test all those gadgets they sell in the internet and of all the best is the filter, I have had Superchips, JET chip, magnet, tornado etc,etc., its like the egg, hey dont eat egg's they give you cholesterol, why do humans eat them, they love to eat them, you asked quote, why would Lexus engineer's design an air induction system that is restrictive enough that it will cause horsepower and fuel economy contraints quote, my question to this question is, why would the Toyota engineers which are the same as the Lexus engineers ( Lexus will have their own plant and engineers in 2007 ) produce the TRD filters, like I mentioned earlier and you can take a look at the link from my reply, remember TRD is a Toyota subsidiary, remember Toyota builds the 4.7 engines, why will they recommend a "High Flow Air Filter"
Old 12-05-04, 12:20 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good job on the rebuttal!

Last edited by Woogie; 12-05-04 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 03:05 PM
RAM MAN
Driver School Candidate

From the K&N web site.

EXTENT OF WARRANTY:
Any defective Filtercharger® element properly returned to K&N will be replaced by K&N. K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the Filtercharger® element. Any Filtercharger® element returned to K&N must be sent at customers' expense along with proof of purchase. K&N reserves the right to determine whether the terms of the warranty, set out above, have been properly complied with. In the event that the terms are not complied with, K&N shall be under no obligation to honor this warranty.

Take notice they wont cover ANY damages that their filters cause.

Now take at look at the warranty of Purolator filters
Purolator filters are warranted to be free from manufacturer's defects in material, workmanship or design in accordance with the terms and conditions described below.
Purolator filters meet or exceed OEM (original equipment manufacturers) requirements and are tested in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers' test procedures. New car warranties remain in effect when Purolator filters are used in accordance to the engine manufacturer's change intervals.In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a defective Purolator filter, which was properly installed and changed following the engine manufacturer's recommended service intervals and was in accord with current Purolator catalog recommendations, Purolator warrants that it will pay for the repair or, if necessary, replacement of an engine or other parts damaged as a result of any defect in any of our filters.

Again I question why?
Old 12-06-04, 03:51 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Like the story goes you can lead a horse to water but you can make it drink. I think you have done all that you can to "help" these guys see the light.

Quick Reply: K&N filter