GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

120k Service - What's Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 12:37 PM
droptopwizzop
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 120k Service - What's Necessary?

I've owned my 2014 GS 350 AWD F-Sport for about a year so this is the first major service I've been responsible for. The car has a pretty solid maintenance record, 60k service was done at a Lexus dealership, there's no 90k service record on the Carfax. When I bought the car at 106k miles from an Acura dealership the performed a pre-owned vehicle inspection which didn't note anything (not sure if they would have informed me of issues if they did find something) and they replaced all 4 tires and performed an alignment. Other than that I've only done oil changes every 5k miles. I'm sitting at 119,500 miles right now getting ready for the 120k service, I was quoted $1700-$2400 from the Lexus dealership depending on the level of service, and $1500-$1900 from the Toyota dealership. I've left some messages at local shops waiting to hear back to get quotes from them, but should I be expecting to pay $1500 for this service? I know the spark plugs are a must at 120k for the emissions warranty, but I'm wondering how much unnecessary work they're adding at the dealership. I want to make sure this car goes for a long time so I'm not trying to skip important work, I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I've attached what the Lexus dealership recommends for reference. The maintenance guide in the handbook that came with my car only says to replace brake fluid, engine air filter, spark plugs and a few other minor things, but says to inspect a ton of different fluids and components. Are the service departments just replacing all of the fluids that the handbook says to inspect? I'm honestly not great at working on cars, I'd like to do as much as I can myself but I understand my limitations and want to make sure everything is done correctly. Thanks for any info and help, and if anybody knows of a good Lexus mechanic in the Sacramento area please let me know!

Last edited by droptopwizzop; 05-23-24 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-23-24, 01:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,443 Posts

I'd do the 'Minimum' column but pass on the following:

Say no to: Fuel treatment, replacing spark plugs and the brake fluid exchange. I would also just replace the cabin air filter and forego the fungicide/sanitizer treatment.

The 'Inspect' items may find that brake pads and/or rotors are needed. The battery load test is important (if replacing corrupts any electronics because the tech will correct it) and the test results may find the battery needs replacing.

The original equipment, factory-installed spark plugs will perform just as good at 250k miles as they did when the car was brand new without any loss in performance or degradation in fuel economy..

The dealer should adjust the price down for items you do not want done...
Old 05-23-24, 02:58 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

It'd be nice if they broke down the cost of each item. It's hard to see what they're charging you for. Don't want it to be like someone else who posted they got charge for windshield washer fluid.

For example, the brake fluid change, what is that? I know some manufacturers just take a turkey baster to suck out what's in the reservoir and refill it, but sell it as some expensive service.

Same for cabin and air filter, and smart key battery. A lot of places will charge you so much for what amounts to 5 min of work.

Fuel service also not needed.

Battery terminal testing, is it free? How old is your battery? Are your terminals corroded? Seems unnecessary unless you're reaching 4 plus years on the battery, or you're seeing corroded terminals.
Old 05-24-24, 10:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The fresh fluids are def very important. All Filters also. If you are not doing fuel cleaners add's and/or Intake cleanings and running 93 Top Tier only. I would do the plugs. Carbon build up can get you a smoking oil burning 2GR engine at 100k plus miles. You can replace filters yourself, also pour in Tank cleaners, and wiper blades. The plugs are a DIY also if you take the time.

Also, I don't think you have any Emissions warranty left at 120K from Lexus anymore.
The following users liked this post:
93SCMax (05-24-24)
Old 05-24-24, 11:51 AM
alxhastngs
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace: Spark Plugs, Engine Oil, engine + cabin filter, brake fluid and bleed the brakes.

I would personally do transmission and front and rear differential fluid also.

Don't use the dealer for this... A good local shop should be able to do everything above for less than $1000. It is all simple and nothing special, the transmission fluid change is about the only remotely complicated item but it isn't rocket science. You could save a couple hundred and DIY the plugs, the fluids are likely a little bit more hassle if you aren't setup for it.

Inspect brakes, inspect suspension. You would know if you need those items right now, but good to get a read, might be convenient to address worn brake pads and rotors while it's there already.
Old 05-25-24, 07:56 AM
droptopwizzop
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for the info that was exactly what I was trying to find so I really appreciate you guys taking the time. I'm not personally very mechanically inclined, but I have a buddy who is and is willing to help me do the plugs for $100 and some beers. I figure when we're doing the plugs I can find the engine air filter and swap that myself too. I don't think they itemized their service list because they're probably charging an outrageous amount for air filters and key fob batteries. I'm definitely looking for a local shop for the fluids, I don't trust myself enough to do it right. I got a new battery earlier this year free through AAA so that's all good, and I'm 2500 miles into my last oil change. Sounds like transmission, brakes and may front and rear diff? I had the rear diff completely fail in my Infiniti qx30 which needed to be fully replaced so I'm still a bit gun-shy around potential differential problems. I'm glad I asked here, I definitely wouldn't have gone to the Lexus dealer but I still would have probably overpaid for something.
Old 05-25-24, 08:55 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Where are you located? That Toyota service price seems too high. Normally Toyota is about 40% less than Lexus. Should check with a diff Toyota dealers if another is near you.