IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC issue is forever ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 07:17 AM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issue is forever ?

Hello all, I never got to use my AC in 4 years after I got my car (Im the 2nd owner). It's my 3rd AC compressor, which is not smth cheap for sure. The replacement was done today , and it was blowing like 44 F and it was running great. Then blowing temperature raised to 77F. Diagnosed it , and got codes B1424 and B1421 under AC, cleaned them, got the car under the sun and AC worked again and worked for 30 mins steady. I drove the car out , and the temp went up again while driving. Dunno what to do anymore, I swear I'm so disappointed just because of my AC issue for years
Old 05-23-24, 11:48 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 771 Likes on 673 Posts

From what I understand. You cleaned the AC thermistor near the lower right dash panel. The one next to the steering wheel?

The solar sensor is on the passenger side upper dash near the front windshield.
Old 05-23-24, 03:09 PM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
From what I understand. You cleaned the AC thermistor near the lower right dash panel. The one next to the steering wheel?

The solar sensor is on the passenger side upper dash near the front windshield.
Well yeah, it works for 4-5 mins and temp goes up little by little. If I turn it off , and try again after couple of hours its again cold. I got no clue what light sensor has to do with AC tho
Old 05-23-24, 08:42 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDenz
Hello all, I never got to use my AC in 4 years after I got my car (Im the 2nd owner). It's my 3rd AC compressor, which is not smth cheap for sure. The replacement was done today , and it was blowing like 44 F and it was running great. Then blowing temperature raised to 77F. Diagnosed it , and got codes B1424 and B1421 under AC, cleaned them, got the car under the sun and AC worked again and worked for 30 mins steady. I drove the car out , and the temp went up again while driving. Dunno what to do anymore, I swear I'm so disappointed just because of my AC issue for years
Have you been installing OEM compressors? Have you replaced the condensor? Has the system been injected with UV dye to trace leaks? Have the schraeder valves been replaced? Was a leak-down test performed after replacement for at least 15 minutes to check the system? There is a lot going on in that system and multiple vectors for issues.
Old 05-24-24, 12:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,255 Posts

3rd compressor is terrifying to me. Even a second compressor in 2 years/1 year. Yikes!!!

What happened to each or them? Did they grenade, lockup, or just contaminate the system?

These are closed systems, anything left behind will kill a new compressor. Typical actions after compressor failure are high pressure line replacement, condenser and dryer replacement, clean evap core (replace is best), replace all contaminated lines...
Assemble, pull down for 2 to 4 hours, verify no leaks, then fill correct weight of refrigerant.

OP I didn't look up those codes but do tell exactly everything you know about its service history.
Old 05-24-24, 02:26 PM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Protholl
Have you been installing OEM compressors? Have you replaced the condensor? Has the system been injected with UV dye to trace leaks? Have the schraeder valves been replaced? Was a leak-down test performed after replacement for at least 15 minutes to check the system? There is a lot going on in that system and multiple vectors for issues.
Surely compressors were OEM. No leaks , I had same ref for more than a year, turned on AC 6-7 times for a while to be sure that its still not working, and when we took the ref out it was same that we've put (40 grams difference which is jormal for 15 months). I just changed the compressor and made sure that there are no leaks. I found out that it works fine when the car is on P and Im not driving. Whenever I start, it starts to warm up. But it doesnt cool down in a second when I stop. The codes that I got under AC were very odd to me tho
Old 05-24-24, 02:31 PM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
3rd compressor is terrifying to me. Even a second compressor in 2 years/1 year. Yikes!!!

What happened to each or them? Did they grenade, lockup, or just contaminate the system?

These are closed systems, anything left behind will kill a new compressor. Typical actions after compressor failure are high pressure line replacement, condenser and dryer replacement, clean evap core (replace is best), replace all contaminated lines...
Assemble, pull down for 2 to 4 hours, verify no leaks, then fill correct weight of refrigerant.

OP I didn't look up those codes but do tell exactly everything you know about its service history.
First one was the original one , that didn't worl from day 1. Cant remember exactly why we got to changing the compressor. We got a 2nd one , OEM and used of course, and it worked for 1-2 days, then valve wasnt opening at all. We swapped valves , and both compressors still didnt work. Now ir works when I start up the car, and when it's on P. Whenever I start driving it starts warming up, If I stop for 5 mins or smth, It starts to cool down, noticed just today. No leaks so far, had same amount of ref after a year.

Codes were about Solar sensor circuit error. But it was showing as AC error. I don't know why I suspect the cabin temp sensor, I discovered yesterday that it has a lot to do with AC, but still dots are not connecting to me. Solar error under AC, working when on P and it generally works whenever it wants
Old 05-24-24, 03:08 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,255 Posts

First one was the original one , that didn't worl from day 1. Cant remember exactly why we got to changing the compressor. We got a 2nd one , OEM and used of course, and it worked for 1-2 days, then valve wasnt opening at all. We swapped valves , and both compressors still didnt work. Now ir works when I start up the car, and when it's on P. Whenever I start driving it starts warming up, If I stop for 5 mins or smth, It starts to cool down, noticed just today. No leaks so far, had same amount of ref after a year.

Codes were about Solar sensor circuit error. But it was showing as AC error. I don't know why I suspect the cabin temp sensor, I discovered yesterday that it has a lot to do with AC, but still dots are not connecting to me. Solar error under AC, working when on P and it generally works whenever it wants
Take note of what fans are working. Max cool should enable both fans. Also watch the hub of the compressor and see if its cycling. i.e. the belt will always turn the outer pully, its center hub we are concerned with.

Also, OBD Fusion App reads some AC components. In my tundra i can read evap core temp sensor. It may be helpful when diagnosing.

Are you saying it blows cold on the highway?
Old 05-24-24, 03:13 PM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Take note of what fans are working. Max cool should enable both fans. Also watch the hub of the compressor and see if its cycling. i.e. the belt will always turn the outer pully, its center hub we are concerned with.

Also, OBD Fusion App reads some AC components. In my tundra i can read evap core temp sensor. It may be helpful when diagnosing.

Are you saying it blows cold on the highway?
Thats the thing that its not cold when Im driving. Its cold If I just start up the car or If I drive and park the car and wait for like 5-6 mins and it gets cold. Well driver side fan works even without AC , I'll check how they behave when AC is on. I read today with Launch and Autel and both apps said no issues with AC at all. I cleaned up my cabin temp sensor as well just in case , but I suspect that it misses smth, didn't have anyone here that knows for sure if thats the temp or my gut is right
Old 05-25-24, 12:43 AM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Thats the thing that its not cold when Im driving. Its cold If I just start up the car or If I drive and park the car and wait for like 5-6 mins and it gets cold. Well driver side fan works even without AC , I'll check how they behave when AC is on. I read today with Launch and Autel and both apps said no issues with AC at all. I cleaned up my cabin temp sensor as well just in case , but I suspect that it misses smth, didn't have anyone here that knows for sure if thats the temp or my gut is right
P.S. my cabin temp sensor looks like this , is this normal ?