Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Suspension: Tein (and other) options for AWD - GRL15 -

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 06:38 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Suspension: Tein (and other) options for AWD - GRL15 -

Hey all, I'm exploring alternatives to RS-R, Tanabe, etc. for suspension options, my GS being a 2013 AWD Lux (so, AVS.)

I already reached out to Fortune; they said they don't support the platform.

But something caught my eye at Tein. It is hidden within their website behind model year ranges, they have suspension parts specifically for GRL15 platform:

https://www.tein.com/srch/us_search.php?maker=LEXUS&carmodel=GS350&modelyear=2014-2016&item=default&genuine=0

The have shocks/struts - https://www.tein.com/products/endurapro.html

And S-Tech springs- https://www.tein.com/products/s_tech.html
The drop is reported to be -1.2" F, -1" rear.

I'll have to dig around more buy I thought I'd ask about these as I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned. Thoughts?
Old 05-19-24, 08:39 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't think anyone here has run those.

What is your ultimate goal for drop/ride/handling?

Do you want to keep AVS?

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-19-24 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 06:34 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GrandSedanFan
I don't think anyone here has run those.

What is your ultimate goal for drop/ride/handling?

Do you want to keep AVS?
I've given quite a bit of thought to this over the months. AVS is a nice novelty but because Sport+ also remaps the engine response, shift strategy, and steering effort, better handling also forces all these other settings. Obviously this selection option changed with newer models and the ability to customize, but for 2013 you can't make it that way. What I really want is buttoned down handling at all times, so I'm considering giving up AVS.

The goals are a modest drop with a level or (very) slightly raked down front, a smooth, tight ride, and a durable upgrade from stock.

But really, I'm curious why other AWD owners haven't gone with Tein. The drop sounds ideal, and the adjustable shock/struts also intrigue me. The price is great compared with RS-R coilovers for instance.
Old 05-20-24, 09:02 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
I've given quite a bit of thought to this over the months. AVS is a nice novelty but because Sport+ also remaps the engine response, shift strategy, and steering effort, better handling also forces all these other settings. Obviously this selection option changed with newer models and the ability to customize, but for 2013 you can't make it that way. What I really want is buttoned down handling at all times, so I'm considering giving up AVS.

The goals are a modest drop with a level or (very) slightly raked down front, a smooth, tight ride, and a durable upgrade from stock.

But really, I'm curious why other AWD owners haven't gone with Tein. The drop sounds ideal, and the adjustable shock/struts also intrigue me. The price is great compared with RS-R coilovers for instance.
For me AVS is more than a novelty, as the dampers dynamically adapt to driving conditions in both Normal and S+ modes, stiffening and softening in response to g-forces.

Personally, I have stayed away from Tein products since 2005, when I had my G35 Coupe, and a number of owners reported quality control issues with both springs and EDFC dampers. They may have since been resolved, but I haven't explored them since.

I am running RSR down springs with 26mm front Roll Center Adjusters. The car is fairly raked, a bit more so than I would like, but I am not willing to physically reduce the rear travel any further and nobody sells a rear Roll Center Adjuster.

Our damper options are limited for AWD. It is generally accepted that the 2015 dampers were the stiffest of all years, but OEM AVS dampers are very expensive and have limited life span, reduced even further with lowering springs. KYB AVS Greys are very soft, softer than my 2018 OEM AVS dampers (which was already the softest year). I just took the rears off my car after 200 miles, and would have taken the front struts off as well if swapping the springs wasn't such a pain in the ***. If you aren't looking to go with coilovers, Tein VSAGX-B1DS2 may be your only option for an adjustable front strut.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably have just gotten a set of RS-R Basic-I Actives and used my Down rear springs (8.67kg/mm) instead of the adjustable perch 8.30kg/mm springs that it comes with. The adjustable spring perches are a pain in the *** and I'm very happy with the Down rear height, slightly raked with the front coilovers. It'd be $2,500.00 in parts alone, but I have spent nearly that much mixing and matching parts to get where I am now, and I would have matched RS-R dampers.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-21-24 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 10:54 AM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Very interesting. I'm surprised more than anything that nobody has yet brought up Tein options like this. The dampers paired with Tanabe springs might also work fairly well, and perhaps some other combinations. The Tein S-Tech spring rates are quite high at 7.4 F/9.7 R, but the advertised drop is comparable to RS-R Down. Still less than the RS-R Basic i* Active coilovers up front, not sure why they went so stiff up front.

As of right now, my suspension is stock and with 119k on the clock. Feels ok/good but there is certainly a bit of wallowing in normal mode, though I'm not sure how much of that is my "excessive ride height" vs. possibly worn components vs. being on 235/45R18 Goodyear Assurance tires, or a combination of all 3. Right after I got the car (about 6 months ago) I redid the brakes and took the opportunity to carefully inspect the suspension. I saw and felt nothing out of spec, shocks/struts I fully expected to find newer units on but nope, appears to be all stock.

I'm hearing and seeing similar issues with the KYB AVS replacement offerings. This of course is not good, I see no reason to go softer.
Old 05-20-24, 11:31 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Very interesting. I'm surprised more than anything that nobody has yet brought up Tein options like this. The dampers paired with Tanabe springs might also work fairly well, and perhaps some other combinations. The Tein S-Tech spring rates are quite high at 7.4 F/9.7 R, but the advertised drop is comparable to RS-R Down. Still less than the RS-R Basic i* Active coilovers up front, not sure why they went so stiff up front.

As of right now, my suspension is stock and with 119k on the clock. Feels ok/good but there is certainly a bit of wallowing in normal mode, though I'm not sure how much of that is my "excessive ride height" vs. possibly worn components vs. being on 235/45R18 Goodyear Assurance tires, or a combination of all 3. Right after I got the car (about 6 months ago) I redid the brakes and took the opportunity to carefully inspect the suspension. I saw and felt nothing out of spec, shocks/struts I fully expected to find newer units on but nope, appears to be all stock.

I'm hearing and seeing similar issues with the KYB AVS replacement offerings. This of course is not good, I see no reason to go softer.
Tanabes have both low spring rates at 3.6kg front and 6.5kg rear and a fairly substantial drop, at 33mm front and 38mm rear, the combination of which can put just as much wear on dampers as high spring rates. I believe you may also end up with a bit of reverse rake with those, or exactly level but appearing to be reversed at times depending on how level the ground is you are parked on. My RSRs were nearly perfectly level, but if the ground was uneven at all, the car would appear to be raked on one side and reversed on the other. This may have been a visual illusion exacerbated by the weak front offset of the stock wheels; I will see when my aftermarket wheels are delivered.

I managed to get some level pictures of both sides of my car today with AWD RSR Down Springs plus 26mm front Roll Center Adjusters.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 05-20-24 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 04:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,276 Likes on 1,013 Posts

If you search there are a few who have had the Teins here. Nobody really liked them. The fronts would bottom out. It was mentioned that you needed to run the Swift springs on them for them to work, and even then they were rock hard and not very compliant. My fiend has them and he could not really gets the fronts adjusted out either. Did you search?
Old 05-20-24, 05:31 PM
fourthmeal
Intermediate

Are you talking about the Endura dampers, or coilovers (for RWD only)? Because if you have seen anything on the dampers (or springs, I guess) please point me at the thread. I've resorted to finding the most information on the Endura Pro Plus dampers on Tesla forums!

Originally Posted by jgscott
If you search there are a few who have had the Teins here. Nobody really liked them. The fronts would bottom out. It was mentioned that you needed to run the Swift springs on them for them to work, and even then they were rock hard and not very compliant. My fiend has them and he could not really gets the fronts adjusted out either. Did you search?