Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bait and switch at Lexus of Clearwater. Advertised 32k miles, car had 43k. VIDEO HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 03:14 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bait and switch at Lexus of Clearwater. Advertised 32k miles, car had 43k. VIDEO HERE

Here is the video:

On Friday 4/30/2024 I went to look at a Lexus IS250C at the dealership; Lexus Of Clearwater. The car is advertised as having 31,077 miles on it. However, in reality, the car had 43,xxx miles on it. The people at the dealership responded when I pointed this out by saying things like: 'It's just a clerical error', 'it's not a bait & switch', 'we are an AutoNation dealership, we are too big to do anything like this intentionally', 'we will get it corrected'. The main reason I went to look at the car was because of the low miles. On 5/2/2024, the advertised mileage on the car was still the same incorrect 31,077. I went back to look at the car again on that day, 5/2/2024. I brought it to the attention of the staff and a manager that the incorrect mileage had not been corrected. This is the video from that day. A manager ended up asking me to leave, kicking me out. This is the second time I have had bad bad / scammy type of experience at Lexus Of Clearwater. The first time was in the service department. They put the incorrect weight of oil in the car, during the inspection they missed a leaky radiator, misdiagnosed a started as being bad ($1500 estimate), lied about having checked the transmission fluid, and some other issues as well.
Old 05-02-24, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Honestly I am certain it was in fact a clerical error. They just didn’t care enough to actually fix it. 43k vs 33k miles wouldn’t net them enough money to make it worth the risk of doing something like this. We’re not talking about 100k miles.

As for them throwing you out. You were behaving bizarrely, filming their dealer and staff (you do not have the right to film people inside a private place of business) and accusing them of committing fraud on camera, I would have thrown you out too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-02-24 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 06:49 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

This gives you more room to haggle; what's the problem?
Old 05-02-24, 06:50 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly I am certain it was in fact a clerical error. They just didn’t care enough to actually fix it. 43k vs 33k miles wouldn’t net them enough money to make it worth the risk of doing something like this. We’re not talking about 100k miles.

As for them throwing you out. You were behaving bizarrely, filming their dealer and staff (you do not have the right to film people inside a private place of business) and accusing them of committing fraud on camera, I would have thrown you out too.

Thanks for your response. Please watch the video if you have not done so. I believe is a purposeful bait & switch, not to get more $$ for the car, but to get more people in the dealership looking at the car. Then just say 'oh so sorry, our mistake. But hey, nice car huh?'.
Old 05-02-24, 07:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaML
Thanks for your response. Please watch the video if you have not done so. I believe is a purposeful bait & switch, not to get more $$ for the car, but to get more people in the dealership looking at the car. Then just say 'oh so sorry, our mistake. But hey, nice car huh?'.
I seriously doubt a bog standard 10-year-old IS convertible is anything anyone would be flocking to see at a dealership regardless of mileage.
Old 05-02-24, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,863 Posts

I watched the video. I don’t believe that’s the case at all. There’s no reason for them to put themselves at this level of risk to sell some used car. Plus, how many more prospects are going to come look at the car at 32k miles vs 42k miles?

The car will sell if marketed accurately and they know that. I’m in the sales business also, not cars but real estate…errors like this happen all the time and when dealing with third party sites, which we also do, it takes forever for corrections to populate. Sometimes they just never do…

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-02-24 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 07:43 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow that youtube channel is quite the rabbit hole
Old 05-02-24, 09:07 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 886 Likes on 708 Posts

I will watch the video and see.

Where I'm at right now, I don't think I would've spent 5 minutes thinking about it

I'd just whistle Dixie and walk out the door, no biggie to me
Old 05-02-24, 10:03 PM
FloridaML
Driver

Default Lexus Of Clearwater -- BAD. Bait & switch, kicked me out when I asked about it. VIDEO

On Friday 4/30/2024 I went to look at a Lexus IS250C at the dealership; Lexus Of Clearwater. The car is advertised as having 31,077 miles on it. However, in reality, the car had 43,xxx miles on it. The people at the dealership responded when I pointed this out by saying things like: 'It's just a clerical error', 'it's not a bait & switch', 'we are an AutoNation dealership, we are too big to do anything like this intentionally', 'we will get it corrected'. The main reason I went to look at the car was because of the low miles. On 5/2/2024, the advertised mileage on the car was still the same incorrect 31,077. I went back to look at the car again on that day, 5/2/2024. I brought it to the attention of the staff and a manager that the incorrect mileage had not been corrected. This is the video from that day. A manager ended up asking me to leave, kicking me out for inquiring about this. This is the second time I have had a bad / scammy type of experience at Lexus Of Clearwater. The first time was in the service department. They put the incorrect weight of oil in the car, during the inspection they missed a leaky radiator, misdiagnosed a starter as being bad ($1500 estimate), lied about having checked the transmission fluid, and some other issues as well.

Old 05-03-24, 12:59 AM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

1. why did you go back if you already had a previous bad experience?

2. why are you accusing the dealer of bait and switch where you have no evidence differentiating admin error vs intentional?

3. If you already saw the car, why did you go back again? Just to make a point?

4. Updates are batch fed, takes a day or so between systems

Old 05-03-24, 05:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/zHWjeuhoLXI

On Friday 4/30/2024 I went to look at a Lexus IS250C at the dealership; Lexus Of Clearwater. The car is advertised as having 31,077 miles on it. However, in reality, the car had 43,xxx miles on it. The people at the dealership responded when I pointed this out by saying things like: 'It's just a clerical error', 'it's not a bait & switch', 'we are an AutoNation dealership, we are too big to do anything like this intentionally', 'we will get it corrected'. The main reason I went to look at the car was because of the low miles. On 5/2/2024, the advertised mileage on the car was still the same incorrect 31,077. I went back to look at the car again on that day, 5/2/2024. I brought it to the attention of the staff and a manager that the incorrect mileage had not been corrected. This is the video from that day. A manager ended up asking me to leave, kicking me out. This is the second time I have had bad bad / scammy type of experience at Lexus Of Clearwater. The first time was in the service department. They put the incorrect weight of oil in the car, during the inspection they missed a leaky radiator, misdiagnosed a started as being bad ($1500 estimate), lied about having checked the transmission fluid, and some other issues as well.
file a report with your state attorney general
Old 05-03-24, 05:59 AM
AWD4Mo
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Lexus is extremely careful about their reputation. Because a Lexus Dealer is their customer-facing organization, they will
be horrified to hear of this. Instead of dealing with the Dealership, I would send all your evidence to Lexus, and they WILL
deal with it appropriately.
Old 05-03-24, 07:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the market for this car is extremely limited - I doubt it will bring more attention by advertising miles a bit lower.

If you research used cars - there are always many errors between the dealer ad, Carfax and when you actually see the car.

Go search for M cars or 911s lol - the ad will say CS or Comp Package but its a base M3. Ad can say manual but its DCT. For 911s - there are tons of errors bec there are so many different trims and options etc.
Old 05-03-24, 08:54 AM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems hard to believe it was just a mistake. Unless they got it mixed up with another vehicle...
Lexus dealerships are not what they were in the very beginning. For example, I wanted some genuine Toyota ATF for an LS400; it wasn't in stock (they had to order it), and evidently the service department used Mobil or somesuch, not OEM as strictly specified! (Saving themselves money and possibly ensuring further work down the line.)
Old 05-03-24, 11:28 AM
bradland

Received 653 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by VolumeToo;[url=tel:11717382
11717382[/url]]Seems hard to believe it was just a mistake. Unless they got it mixed up with another vehicle...
Lexus dealerships are not what they were in the very beginning. For example, I wanted some genuine Toyota ATF for an LS400; it wasn't in stock (they had to order it), and evidently the service department used Mobil or somesuch, not OEM as strictly specified! (Saving themselves money and possibly ensuring further work down the line.)
400’s use T-IV
Mobil 3309 is Toyota T-IV, or T-IV is 3309, however you choose to say it…

Quick Reply: Bait and switch at Lexus of Clearwater. Advertised 32k miles, car had 43k. VIDEO HERE