NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX350h Check engine light after tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 06:25 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts
Default NX350h Check engine light after tint

I finally got my NX350h windows tinted. I think the tint tech left the doors opened for around 3.5-4 hours. That may have drained the car battery. He said he threw a charger to the vehicle also after he finished. There was a check engine light on the dash and it states to check with dealer now. Before it state check with manual.

When I got home, I checked the 12V voltage and it was at 12.85V. So it appears fully charged. The checked engine light didn't disappear yet.

I also opened and closed the gas cap to sure it clicked.

Anyone have any idea?

Last edited by websurfer; 04-24-24 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-24-24, 08:43 PM
websurfer
Racer

I found this one but different year and model.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nsimssion.html
Old 04-24-24, 09:51 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 293 Posts
Lightbulb You might need to reset your ECU

This is an interesting article that might apply to you check engine light problem.

Lexus: How to Reset Your ECU | Clublexus

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 04-24-24, 10:12 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Your check engine light is there just because as you said the battery might have got discharged, happened to me a few times actually. All you got to do is just connect the OBDII scanner, if you got one, and just erase the code(s). or just ignore the error if you do not have the scanner, or get one
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (04-24-24)
Old 04-24-24, 10:42 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by oreon333
Your check engine light is there just because as you said the battery might have got discharged, happened to me a few times actually. All you got to do is just connect the OBDII scanner, if you got one, and just erase the code(s). or just ignore the error if you do not have the scanner, or get one
Thanks,

The tint tech indicated to drive the vehicle around. I have the Bluedriver OBDII and it's doesn't work for the NX correctly. I'll look for another.
Old 04-24-24, 10:43 PM
websurfer
Racer

I'm not too urgent to clear the alert, I'm trying to see if the alert is really something I need to be worried about.
Old 04-25-24, 02:34 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I'm not too urgent to clear the alert, I'm trying to see if the alert is really something I need to be worried about.
Unfortunately, the NX does tend to throw a code when the battery is discharged with tjust the car doors open. I guess the systems are partially active and when it dies in some unknown state throws a code.

In caseyou have the same issue, on my code the reset, my first OBDII reader could reset the dash check light, but went I went into to some maintenance screen to look at the car status, it still showed the recorded code issue. I did not want the Lexus dealer to ask or charge for a reset, so found a code reader that could clear the permanent code. This was over a 1 1/2 years, so def just an issue with the discharged battery.

I wonder how many Lexus NXs get towed to the dealer for this type of issue? I bet more than we know.

Last edited by gcskoor; 04-25-24 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-25-24, 05:06 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,066 Likes on 695 Posts

Happened to our NX when we got PPF and windows tinted. Dash showed code. We took it to our Lexus dealer who eliminated the code. They said would have disappeared on their own in a week. When I did mine a year later and a friend did hers they put on a trickle charger.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
bt10 (04-25-24), websurfer (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 05:51 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 293 Posts

I bet AAA would reset the code for free.
Old 04-25-24, 07:53 AM
lsft
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 350 Posts

The code will disappear if nothing is wrong. You could get a OBDII and software to clear the codes or read what the code is and see if it is related.
bt10 (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 08:05 AM
websurfer
Racer

Thanks All.

I'll drive it today and see what happens.

Lexus/Toyota should update the software to throw an error code for 12V battery weak instead of check engine light then push over the air update. Need to hire better engineers.
lsft (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 09:40 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 483 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Thanks All.

I'll drive it today and see what happens.

Lexus/Toyota should update the software to throw an error code for 12V battery weak instead of check engine light then push over the air update. Need to hire better engineers.
The ODBII system is not what I'd call a particularly intelligent diagnostics system, and its operation is fairly similar across all manufacturers due to its standardization. Its basically 90s tech. That's why we still need to occasionally rely on expensive experienced mechanics with their expensive scan tools performing the actual diagnosis (this is why ODBII has also created the "parts canon" situation where less experienced fixers simply throw parts at a code instead of understanding why the code is there in the first place). The system simply/blindly stores codes when some device monitored by the vehicle report measurements that are outside of set limits without any effort whatsoever to understand why, its duty is simply to report. A low voltage situation can mess up measurements across a lot of monitored devices and cause all sorts of codes to be stored because of this and the cause is really up to a human to decide (whether its a low battery, a broken or scuffed wire, a sensor or electronic module not operating correctly, etc). If the original cause goes away, sometimes the CEL will go off after some time (hours, days perhaps), but the code remains in memory. Most mechanics after reviewing the stored codes, will usually delete all of them and see which come back if any, to see what might really be going on.

I suppose perhaps in the future we might have a fleet AI system monitoring your car instead of dumb ODBII but not simply comparing them to device specs as now, but also intelligently comparing all of them with all the measurements being recorded by the entire fleet of vehicles and matching trillions of these patterns of measurements collectively captured with what repairs or causes were found for specific error situations. On that day, your car will take over driving and immediately proceed to the car repair center where a robot is already waiting outside with the replacement wire for your car because it already knows that you have a wire with a melted insulation jacket that came loose and touched the exhaust manifold. Today, we call that a TSB and it is probably 10000X slower than if an AI could indeed have access to this level of information.
smish (04-29-24)
Old 04-25-24, 10:37 AM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Had same issue after I drained battery installing backseat covers etc for our dog. Had doors open for a while and it killed battery. Lexus jumped started the car under warranty in my driveway, and I had similar warning indication pop up on centre display. Dealer called next day to make sure everything was ok. They said that it would take several drive sessions, ie starting travelling shutting off, repeat, to clear 'code', which it did. Discussion with tech at next dealer visit said that 'codes' are a little out of date with these cars. There's so much data kept for technicians to look at including all your safety monitoring systems. Anyways fault stopped popping up after a few days of driving on it's own.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheCDN:
bt10 (04-25-24), lsft (04-26-24), websurfer (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 07:41 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you only drive Toyota/Lexus, here is a wonderful OBDII scanner you might want to get ->
Amazon Amazon
It is bi-directional scanner and it comes with lifetime updates + it does full systems and all services.
Old 04-25-24, 09:22 PM
websurfer
Racer

I drove the vehicle right out of the garage today and the light cleared. I guess it needed time to recharge itself
The following 2 users liked this post by websurfer:
gamma742 (04-26-24), lsft (04-26-24)

Quick Reply: NX350h Check engine light after tint