ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

95 ES 300 quick strut compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 03:44 PM
gggggart
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ES 300 quick strut compatibility

I have a 1995 ES 300 and the front right strut is bad. I was hoping to find some quick struts and replace both front end struts, but have not been able to find any for the 95 or 96 model year. Does anyone know if there is intercompatability with another model year, or perhaps the camry quick struts?
Old 03-25-24, 04:32 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 759 Likes on 635 Posts

Hello,

What's the mileage on the car?

Here is a place to get the struts, it doesn't seem like they sell complete ones for the front, so you will have to get all the other parts to go along with it, here is a Parts Catalogue for your car. It's a good time to replace all the rubber parts in there while everything is apart, and depending on the mileage, I would keep the OEM spring, unless it's snapped or sagged to the ground, it would be miles ahead of the aftermarket options. Look for a local mechanic in the area, some people out there are willing to assemble your struts for a case of beer or something similar, that is if you don't have a spring compressor, or the knowledge on how to use it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 03-25-24, 07:03 PM
gggggart
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

What's the mileage on the car?

Here is a place to get the struts, it doesn't seem like they sell complete ones for the front, so you will have to get all the other parts to go along with it, here is a Parts Catalogue for your car. It's a good time to replace all the rubber parts in there while everything is apart, and depending on the mileage, I would keep the OEM spring, unless it's snapped or sagged to the ground, it would be miles ahead of the aftermarket options. Look for a local mechanic in the area, some people out there are willing to assemble your struts for a case of beer or something similar, that is if you don't have a spring compressor, or the knowledge on how to use it.

Thanks for the help. It's just past 137,000 now, and I bought it at 125,000, so I'm not sure when or if the struts have ever been replaced.
Old 03-25-24, 07:19 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 759 Likes on 635 Posts

It's really not too bad of a mileage, you should easily be able to reuse your old springs. I replaced my OEM struts way past 200,000 mark, and they still showed some sign of life, as impressive as it is, though they could get damaged if the car was sitting for a while, as seals dry out.

Old 03-29-24, 07:20 PM
booboofoo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If it helps in any way, I've had good experience with KYB Gas Excel-G dampers.

I built the complete struts using Kings Springs, new KYB strut crowns and bearings, on all 4 corners.

A good upgrade overall with a nice taut responsive ride.
Old 05-12-24, 11:24 AM
bc1_2002
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 ES300 experience

On my 98 4cyl Camry, I used what is today known as the Monroe OESpectrum, and they provided great ride and had longevity. Fortunately, I found 4 new Bilstein for each side for my 96 ES300.

Simply, KYB or Monroe OESpectrum would work well in providing the closest original ride. I believe Tokiko are the original struts; they are on my RX350 when I replaced them.

About my experiences with Rock Auto. Yes, they have a great search tool and options; yes, they have very competitive pricing. They have terrible customer service, no phone number, just email. Just recently, I purchased two, new OESpectrum struts for the front of my Camry. One strut had the strut nut missing. The other was a drop ship from another warehouse. It was NOS (new old stock) and the band that holds the strut down was missing where it was in full position. I immediately filed to return it, but they made me pay for a discounted shipping cost, and they took it out of my refund.

The other new one with the missing nut, they gave me several options, wait until the mfr sends you another nut. I did but it never came at RA deadline. I could send it back with a replacement or get a full refund. Of course, the burden is on me to box it back up, and take it to a FedEx drop off location. I did receive a full refund for this one. I was collecting the parts to do the strut later on my Camry, but the struts are still doing well, since 2012 and 90+k miles.

Both times, it was their issue. Both times, it was my burden to send it back. Once, I had to pay for shipping. They have no customer service phone number, so you can't talk to anyone.

I bought a number of items from Rock Auto and I was satisfied, but the problems I had with these two struts, and the burden and costs placed on me ended me buying anything from RA. I just fixed my brother's F150 and spent $700. I bought all the parts from Amazon except for the coolant flush from Ford.

Rock Auto is fine until you have an issue; then it's hit or miss. I've had enough of them. Amazon is so much easier to deal with, even if I have to pay a little more. It's worth it.

I have a 96 ES300 in great shape with about 140k miles.

I'm not trying to make a sale, but I replaced my interior with Toyota cloth material after the leather cracked and split. I did find a rear bench and back in ivory in great condition. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me about them. Shipping is too cost-prohibitive.

They should be still there on ebay with plenty of pictures. Good for 94-96 ES300 and Camrys.

Last edited by bc1_2002; 05-13-24 at 08:38 AM.