Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Refresh & Upgrade time... how many F-sport badges can I put on my 200k mile IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 05:02 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Bling level over9000

About the idle - you might want to swap the intake manifold & surge tank gaskets, and all the piping around them. Any misfires/roughness during cold starts? I feel like a fool for not looking this up earlier... a few days ago I was in the garage and was tightening down the surge tank after I decided that I shouldn't be taking it off at 3AM after all... started the engine, no random rare misfire. It was doing that once every 1000 or so combustions, and only while "cold" starting (not necessarily cold engine, just cooled down manifold I guess), no issues whatsoever once any amount of power was applied (even charging the battery or just revving up)... Anyways, I guess you learn something new all the time, even though it should've been quite obvious to me that a small vacuum leak is a VERY good explanation for that kind of condition >_<

And yes - no oil burning whatsoever (10k miles 0w20 first time, don't kill me), no coolant loss, no hesitation, nothing.

Figures that those hoses/gaskets might go bad over time, given that no oil or coolant is supposed to reach them & condition them.

Not sure if I've said it, but consider changing your seat's polyurethane cushions (PAD, FRONT SEAT BACK LH/RH& PAD, FRONT SEAT CUSHION LH/RH, rear... etc). Haven't done this, but it's on my to-do's, plus dying parts of the leather where the dye has worn off... luckily no cracks yet, hopefully leatherique is helping there
Old 07-07-19, 05:48 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
About the idle - you might want to swap the intake manifold & surge tank gaskets, and all the piping around them. Any misfires/roughness during cold starts? I feel like a fool for not looking this up earlier... a few days ago I was in the garage and was tightening down the surge tank after I decided that I shouldn't be taking it off at 3AM after all... started the engine, no random rare misfire. It was doing that once every 1000 or so combustions, and only while "cold" starting (not necessarily cold engine, just cooled down manifold I guess), no issues whatsoever once any amount of power was applied (even charging the battery or just revving up)... Anyways, I guess you learn something new all the time, even though it should've been quite obvious to me that a small vacuum leak is a VERY good explanation for that kind of condition >_<

And yes - no oil burning whatsoever (10k miles 0w20 first time, don't kill me), no coolant loss, no hesitation, nothing.

Figures that those hoses/gaskets might go bad over time, given that no oil or coolant is supposed to reach them & condition them.
I think this may be because of the connector I pulled apart, I'm not 100% sure the wires went back that way (had a 50/50 shot and I'm not 100% sure the wire are connecting inside the connector). Will source another one and re-install, hopefully that will fix it. After new plugs, no more smoking during acceleration.

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Not sure if I've said it, but consider changing your seat's polyurethane cushions (PAD, FRONT SEAT BACK LH/RH& PAD, FRONT SEAT CUSHION LH/RH, rear... etc). Haven't done this, but it's on my to-do's, plus dying parts of the leather where the dye has worn off... luckily no cracks yet, hopefully leatherique is helping there
Great idea, I NEED to do this! The plastic seats at McDonalds feel better than my IS350 right now. Will look into it.
Old 07-07-19, 08:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by autovation
Great idea, I NEED to do this! The plastic seats at McDonalds feel better than my IS350 right now. Will look into it.

Seats at McD's.... haha! Ouch to Lexus but thanks for the laugh!

TRD start button?
Old 09-22-19, 10:31 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Lot's of updates:

- Coilovers are installed (set to same height as H&R springs)
- IS-F steering wheel installed
- F-sport **** installed
- Engine idle issue fixed (it was a cracked hose)
- Wheel well cladding replaced

Christmas came early this year! Will be installing these and getting the wheels refinished soon. Also doing some new windshield trim, di noc on the interior trim, replacement stock rear spoiler, new foglights... still looking for an f-sport exhaust if anyone has a lead one.

The following users liked this post:
bbaugher47 (09-23-19)
Old 09-23-19, 06:34 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Way off topic; more of a reminder to all but keep those receipts in order if something bad happens. Also keep an eye on local sales for 350's in good shape and print to file / keep with your receipts. One air bag deployed and these things can be totaled the way things go these days!

Merry Christmas!
autovation (09-23-19)
Old 10-14-19, 10:43 PM
autovation
Intermediate

It's getting real now.

2013FSport (10-15-19)
Old 10-15-19, 08:13 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Now the braking, limiting factor is the tires you run. What's the plan on your tire setup?
Old 10-15-19, 02:47 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Now the braking, limiting factor is the tires you run. What's the plan on your tire setup?
Currently running 235/35/19 Front & 265/30/19 Rear Michelin Pilot 4s, great street tires. I have run 275/30 in the rear and will probably go back to that when the next set goes on.
Old 10-16-19, 09:41 AM
Gville350

Definitely about the best street tire you can get. I've been running Hankook Ventus RS4s, which are the best performance tire I've ever ran PERIOD. But we're about to be hit with cooler temps for the first time this year tomorrow. I'll see if these sticky tires turn into bricks.
Old 10-17-19, 04:20 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely about the best street tire you can get. I've been running Hankook Ventus RS4s, which are the best performance tire I've ever ran PERIOD. But we're about to be hit with cooler temps for the first time this year tomorrow. I'll see if these sticky tires turn into bricks.
Tell us how they do towards end of life cycle. And how many miles you've gotten from them.

I'd like to see a comparison between ^^ and my BFG's. G-Force, Comp-2, A/S << it snows here on occasion and they did well when they had tread! That said, I'm sure there are better performance tires.
Old 10-18-19, 08:50 AM
Gville350

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Tell us how they do towards end of life cycle. And how many miles you've gotten from them.

I'd like to see a comparison between ^^ and my BFG's. G-Force, Comp-2, A/S << it snows here on occasion and they did well when they had tread! That said, I'm sure there are better performance tires.
Will do!

Well, it was 42 degrees outside this morning. I was parked in a garage though; but the concrete foundation I'm sure was stone cold. Regardless, the tires are still holding quite nicely, even when this cold.

Before these RS4s, my previous favorite tire was the BFG KDW II. Actually still have a set on my factory 18s in my garage.

Once the rear RS4s wear out, I've got a set of Nitto Invo 255/35s to try out. Never ran this tire before; so I'm curious how it does.
Old 10-18-19, 11:22 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Before these RS4s, my previous favorite tire was the BFG KDW II. Actually still have a set on my factory 18s in my garage.
Gville350 and I used to always praise how good the BFG KDW2 tires were years back on the forums. They were certainly my go to tires before I made the switch to Michelin PSS and now PS4S (though BFG and Michelin are in the same family). 👍
Old 10-20-19, 11:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

When I bought the car it had Nitto Motivo's on it. Hopefully your choice performs 1000X better than those as they sucked wet or dry. Great for sliding around tho and making a smoke show!
Old 10-20-19, 03:53 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Car is coming along quite nicely. Any pictures with the coils on? I’m interested in seeing your ride height.
Old 10-20-19, 05:52 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Car is coming along quite nicely. Any pictures with the coils on? I’m interested in seeing your ride height.
Waiting on the wheels to come back and then will get pics. Had ride height set to match the H&R spring ride height which I thought looked just right.

The dash is out and getting new LED's installed with blue big needles & red small needles. I'm trying to order a set of 2012-2013 headlights but not sure the part numbers of everything that needs to be ordered.
bbaugher47 (10-21-19)

Quick Reply: Refresh & Upgrade time... how many F-sport badges can I put on my 200k mile IS350?