Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car & Driver luxury sedan ranking

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is off topic, but i test drove an enclave avenir and was unimpressed, except for the roominess, although that's less than the cheaper cousin, chevy traverse. there was pretty much nothing i liked about it except it's pretty good looking, and as i said, roominess. but materials, features, drivetrain, chintzy small infotainment screen, ride, noise, were all sub sub par.
I'm not a terribly big fan of many of GM's SUVs, either, although I do like the current-generation 2017+ GMC Acadia, particularly in Denali trim. Unfortunately, the Acadia is one of Consumer Reports Ten Most Unreliable new vehicles. And, unfortunately, (as has been discussed here in countless threads and posts), GM isn't giving you very much of an alternative to their SUVs and trucks any more.

but then, it's not a cadillac.
For the most part, today's Cadillacs aren't Cadillacs, either.

here we go, "opel-derived solidness" - i have not a clue what that means.
Then I'll give you one. In plain English, it means the company generally designs a vehicle with a strong structure, parts, and hardware, although sometimes that pays a penalty in weight. I, myself, though, usually don't care about weight. True, all else equal, weight cuts down on handling, steering response, acceleration, fuel-mileage, and braking distance, but it also can make a vehicle more stable, track better, have a smoother ride, and offer more crash-protection.

reviews here on the enclave are very mixed but many complain bitterly about the poor seats.
It has not been one of my favorite Buicks either, despite the quite-roomy third-row seat (for families who need it) and the general plushness of its interior.
Old 06-14-19, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You can’t start a brand with one model. Also, they already have that brand, that’s Genesis which is slowly progressing. But sure, the K900 is a tough sell at Kia dealers... but for buyers like me, who don’t care about brand, or fancy showrooms, it represents an opportunity to drive an amazing car at a price far better than anything comparable.
Delorean DMC-12, Tesla Roadster was by itself for many years, Briggs Automotive Company (BAC) Mono, Hennessy Venom F5. I'm sure the list goes on
Old 06-14-19, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Delorean DMC-12, Tesla Roadster was by itself for many years, Briggs Automotive Company (BAC) Mono, Hennessy Venom F5. I'm sure the list goes on
those are a little more unique (and expensive) than the k900 regardless, it makes no sense for hyundai to create another luxury brand for k900 when they have genesis.
Old 06-14-19, 01:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You can’t start a brand with one model. Also, they already have that brand, that’s Genesis which is slowly progressing. But sure, the K900 is a tough sell at Kia dealers... but for buyers like me, who don’t care about brand, or fancy showrooms, it represents an opportunity to drive an amazing car at a price far better than anything comparable.
You are only one person, and as an enthusiast, you hardly represent the masses, the usual shoppers of Kia vehicles. They just want an inexpensive appliance, something to get them back and forth to work each day, not a fancy, leather-wrapped premium vehicle.
Old 06-14-19, 01:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

those are a little more unique (and expensive) than the k900 regardless, it makes no sense for hyundai to create another luxury brand for k900 when they have genesis.
But theoretically, Genesis was spawned from and sells Hyundai, not Kia, cars. The K900 would be a redundant vehicle as a Genesis.
Old 06-14-19, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree. I just thought it the statement was a little off regardless of cost.
Old 06-14-19, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

it makes no sense for hyundai to create another luxury brand for k900 when they have genesis.
I would say it does. There is a very small and niche market for the US to offer a few premium products from mainstream brands. The K900 is a premium product. Like Avalon, top level VWs, Land Cruiser, GMC and perhaps a few others here or there.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-14-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 02:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You are only one person, and as an enthusiast, you hardly represent the masses, the usual shoppers of Kia vehicles. They just want an inexpensive appliance, something to get them back and forth to work each day, not a fancy, leather-wrapped premium vehicle.
fair enough.

Originally Posted by Sulu
But theoretically, Genesis was spawned from and sells Hyundai, not Kia, cars. The K900 would be a redundant vehicle as a Genesis.
i agree, but making another brand for the k900, which would then compete with genesis, doesn't make any sense to me, unless it can be better differentiated.
Old 06-14-19, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The S90 doesnt belong amongst these cars, but other than that, I would agree largely with this list.