Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
what are the consequences of failing to delete bluetooth pairing on rentals? >

what are the consequences of failing to delete bluetooth pairing on rentals?

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the consequences of failing to delete bluetooth pairing on rentals?

 
Old 01-14-19, 11:47 AM
  #16  
tex2670
Lexus Fanatic
 
tex2670's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 5,806
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
The 2018 BMW loaner was clearly the latter, and I wish I had tried the '19 Impala but I would think it's also the latter. I think that technology should encompass the user and protect them. Isn't far fetched that rentals are returned in a hurry and the user may not remember to unpair i.e. delete the pairing.

So it would seem the pairing is almost meaningless, but the contacts, maybe maybe not if uploaded. One would have thought that the use thereof would still require an active pairing?

Then again there's a reason why work laptops are encrypted to great expense and effort of IT--because employees can and will lose them. When I lost my laptop at Pearson (hats off to them, received an email recovered in < 24 hours, was surprised), I asked someone but I have a windows login so nobody else can log on, right? The person nearly sprayed with spit as my question was so naive. That's why I am asking too about the BT pairing!

p.s. I also forgot to delete on a 2018 Sienna minivan. Wonder what system that one has. Shucks, and a 2018 Santa Fe and a 2018 Rogue I need to be more careful!
I have a '14 BMW, and mine is NOT the latter. And I have had a '18 X1 Loaner, which was also the former. So I don't think that's right.
tex2670 is online now  
Old 01-14-19, 11:04 PM
  #17  
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion
 
Dave600hL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,425
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Some food for thought, although, I do think the title is a little misleading, as you do need some skill to do this.

Car renters beware: Bluetooth use can reveal your private data
Dave600hL is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 07:53 AM
  #18  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 7,032
Received 225 Likes on 213 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I have a '14 BMW, and mine is NOT the latter. And I have had a '18 X1 Loaner, which was also the former. So I don't think that's right.
rereading your post you are correct, former. Meaning, the '18 330i did not store anything of use to me, even though I could see 5 paired phones. I would suspect the '19 Impala would be the same.

Again, we're not talking Mayflower Madam or anything like that, but if someone were able to extract an entire book of contacts, and are in the same industry, it would be quite a project to start trying to convert the business over. The contacts get through the gatekeepers. I simply cannot imagine (the online articles are to the contrary) that a system would be designed such that contacts are so easily accessed by anybody. Then again, go back to 2007, there were lots of folks who secured their wifi with WEP keys, broken in seconds. Maybe at some point, bluetooth in cars was that primitive, and the online articles are lagging.
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 07:58 AM
  #19  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 7,032
Received 225 Likes on 213 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dave600hL View Post
Some food for thought, although, I do think the title is a little misleading, as you do need some skill to do this.

Car renters beware: Bluetooth use can reveal your private data
I bet you that was one of the articles I came across. I wonder if anybody can debunk it bullet by bullet?

Lots of information can be saved when you connect your phone to a car:•GPS history. (if you used built in GPS)
•Device name. (sure Big Daddy's S8)
•Address book. (this is a concern)
•In-car internet search history. (I don't know what this is but the '19 Impala always indicated hotspot connected when starting engine)
•Music-streaming login, such as Spotify or Pandora. (not sure)
•Call log and text messages if you use hands-free calling. (coworker had a 300S on the same trip and he clearly used these hands-free functions--is all this left behind if he did not delete his pairing?)
•WiFi identifiers. (what does this mean exactly, you can't even see previously paired SSIDs yourself in your iPhone/Android)
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 09:20 AM
  #20  
swajames
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 434
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
I bet you that was one of the articles I came across. I wonder if anybody can debunk it bullet by bullet?

Lots of information can be saved when you connect your phone to a car:•GPS history. (if you used built in GPS)
•Device name. (sure Big Daddy's S8)
•Address book. (this is a concern)
•In-car internet search history. (I don't know what this is but the '19 Impala always indicated hotspot connected when starting engine)
•Music-streaming login, such as Spotify or Pandora. (not sure)
•Call log and text messages if you use hands-free calling. (coworker had a 300S on the same trip and he clearly used these hands-free functions--is all this left behind if he did not delete his pairing?)
•WiFi identifiers. (what does this mean exactly, you can't even see previously paired SSIDs yourself in your iPhone/Android)



Last edited by swajames; 01-15-19 at 09:32 AM.
swajames is online now  
Old 01-15-19, 11:09 AM
  #21  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,564
Received 635 Likes on 522 Posts
Default

But at the end of the day, who cares? If somebody wants my Pandora login and my grandmothers phone number they can have it.
SW17LS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: