Notices
RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VICTORY!!!! Fianlly Solved an ABS problem.

Old 09-06-17, 05:26 PM
mikecd1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a huge story and a bigger problem and want to thank the OP for sharing the knowledge. These ABS problems are very tricky and those sensors are just really, really sensitive. So much to consider and really appreciate this valuable information along with the info on the diagnostic tool. Wondering how expensive those are.
Old 09-06-17, 06:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Champion

Received 202 Likes on 191 Posts

Nice write up.
Keep in mind that if the new hub ring is not at the same depth from the flanged mating surface where the hub mates to the spindle, the sensor will not have the same coverage and fail as this one has.

POINT: when replacing components like hub assemblies, have veneer calipers on hand to measure the distance from locating flange to the ring. They must be the same or problems like this come up.

Thanks for sharing....
Old 10-26-17, 09:08 PM
Zoro93
Driver School Candidate

I would say thank you so much. i tried everything but it didnt work . But your idea it did works great for my Es300 2000.. the point is we need to put less distance between the magnatic sensor and ring tone .thanks guys
Old 07-18-18, 11:52 PM
Flo11
Driver School Candidate

Default ABS Light on plus alarm

Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
Alchemist, you are too late I would have told him in 5 minutes.......
Hi,
kindly assist me in sorting this nagging problem. I had the brakes changed and at some point I noticed the rear right bit was bent and rubbing on the spinning part. Initially the mechanics disconnected the lines to that wheel later they replaced the disc and pads I have been having this issues of check VSC ABS and master warning light. I took the car to the shop and they said the actuator was bad so I bought another one and the problem looked to have disappeared only for it to come back this this will h a screeching alarm. How can I fix it the repair shop gave me 4 codes and are telling me I have to replace the actuator again. Please HELP.
Old 08-22-18, 01:03 PM
sfsilvrspt
Driver School Candidate

2001 RX300, same, or very similar problem (ABS activated on R/F just as you pulled away from a low-speed stop). Replaced axles thinking it must be tone ring issue but that didn't work. Found your procedure and filed sensor base and...fixed! This is my bride's daily driver and she is very pleased. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 12-31-18, 11:38 AM
stevestoy
Driver School Candidate

Talking Great Fix

Wow! Solved my problem too! Very annoying ABS "grab" on left front at low speed just before stopping.
Happened right after rplaceing front bearing and axels, of course on our '05 RX.
You save a lot of us a bunch of agravation and $$!
Thanks a lot!
Old 01-01-19, 10:43 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something definitely bothering me about this solution. i currently have the same problem, rear left wheel. Found metal filings all over the sensor outside, and inside when i removed it as well. Cleaned it off, no difference.

The only ways this proposed solution can be effective is:
A) if the sensor has lost some magnetism and therefore needs to be moved closer to the tone ring - but doesn't seem like there's much clearance there. New sensors should clear up that problem, if that were the case, and all reports are that they do not.
or:
B) If the tone (reluctor) ring has been worn down abrasively. This is where the teeth are worn and not as high, so the signal magnitude is less. This seems to be the issue in my case - hence all the metal filings.

I'm going to replace bearings and axles at 168,000 miles anyway, and see what happens.

It's not clear to me why a new sensor would need to be filed and moved in closer to the ring, unless one or both of them is old/worn.
Old 01-01-19, 05:09 PM
Audiqv8
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 01-12-19, 09:05 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear View Post
Something definitely bothering me about this solution. i currently have the same problem, rear left wheel. Found metal filings all over the sensor outside, and inside when i removed it as well. Cleaned it off, no difference.

The only ways this proposed solution can be effective is:
A) if the sensor has lost some magnetism and therefore needs to be moved closer to the tone ring - but doesn't seem like there's much clearance there. New sensors should clear up that problem, if that were the case, and all reports are that they do not.
or:
B) If the tone (reluctor) ring has been worn down abrasively. This is where the teeth are worn and not as high, so the signal magnitude is less. This seems to be the issue in my case - hence all the metal filings.

I'm going to replace bearings and axles at 168,000 miles anyway, and see what happens.

It's not clear to me why a new sensor would need to be filed and moved in closer to the ring, unless one or both of them is old/worn.
I think depending on vehicle age, mileage (use), and location (rust belt), and the fact that the abs sensor does not use an o ring/gasket, the area that the abs sensor sits on (the hole in the hub) can corrode and accumulate dust/dirt. Cleaning this area where the sensor sits (abrasively, wire wheel, sand paper etc) may be enough to fix an anomaly in some cases. Grinding and modifying the surface should not be necessary as that would be a modification that changes the part permanently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VICTORY!!!! Fianlly Solved an ABS problem.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: