Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You Tell 'Em, Scotty.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'll add my vote for Savagegeese. I really agreed with everything said. Kinda silly that Scotty Kilmer even took the same title for his video.
Scotty needs to learn to calm down when he makes these videos. This particular video was one of his better ones, with what I think are some credible opinions on his part, but he typically sounds and acts like someone who needs a dose of Prozac.
Old 05-19-19, 06:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Scotty needs to learn to calm down when he makes these videos. This particular video was one of his better ones, with what I think are some credible opinions on his part, but he typically sounds and acts like someone who needs a dose of Prozac.
Well that's Scotty's schtick. He's probably not that nutso in real life. Look at his intro, "rev up your engines!". He's hysterical because he needs that to stand out. The opposite of that is arm-waving Doug Demuro who doesn't have lick of mechanical knowledge in him, or "look what I done did, Hoovey and his buddy at the garage". And I know you like Alex so I won't bother with saying what his faults are.

The difference between Scotty Kilmer and the others is that he's a real mechanic and he looks at cars through that filter. It doesn't matter that he's "old" or out of style etc. That's nonsense. He's smart enough to have wisdom that tells him, you don't buy used high maintenance cars and you don't buy overstyled cars which won't be so trendy and edgy a few years from now. Different audiences for different car buyers really.

At the end of the day, we have to understand Youtube influencers and their role in life vs what we ask of them as critics. What any of these guys do is no different than Lori Laughlin's daughter shilling cosmetics on Youtube. It's just another way to make money.

Nothing he said in that video is wrong.
Old 05-19-19, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well that's Scotty's schtick. He's probably not that nutso in real life. Look at his intro, "rev up your engines!". He's hysterical because he needs that to stand out. The opposite of that is arm-waving Doug Demuro who doesn't have lick of mechanical knowledge in him, or "look what I done did, Hoovey and his buddy at the garage". And I know you like Alex so I won't bother with saying what his faults are.

The difference between Scotty Kilmer and the others is that he's a real mechanic and he looks at cars through that filter. It doesn't matter that he's "old" or out of style etc. That's nonsense. He's smart enough to have wisdom that tells him, you don't buy used high maintenance cars and you don't buy overstyled cars which won't be so trendy and edgy a few years from now. Different audiences for different car buyers really.

At the end of the day, we have to understand Youtube influencers and their role in life vs what we ask of them as critics. What any of these guys do is no different than Lori Laughlin's daughter shilling cosmetics on Youtube. It's just another way to make money.

Nothing he said in that video is wrong.
Yes, I agree on Scotty's mechanical experience. That generally puts him in at least somewhat of a position to know what is reliable and what isn't. In general, he rates FCA and Land Rover products lowest in that field.
Old 05-20-19, 09:12 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I find Scotty more tolerable and entertaining than Doug DeMuro.