Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014)
3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not? >

3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?

Notices
IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?

Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
This is just too weird. It seems like this is always what happens - someone gets to the point of installation, then 'poof' they're gone. This thread is cursed I think.
My tuning shop says they'll do it for next to nothing...but of course I'll need to provide the diff. I'm not opposed to it...but opposed to spending $500 on the diff and it doesn't work.

These guys also put 4.xx gears in my Supra...
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Iím literally working on it right now. I donít have much time on my hands because of pre deployment work ups but I canít get the axles all the way out. Theyíre almost there

Last edited by 1sFTW; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

i am trying boys. Sheís almost there

Last edited by 1sFTW; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Iíve got left and right both ďpoppedĒ. Iíve broken everything loose and tried dropping it just a little to pry the rest and the furthest she has gotten are the splines on the axle. Right now Iím putting the diff back up and putting bolts back to try and pry them all the way out again. Iím playing with different angles and Iím not having much luck.
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

We're rooting for you!
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
We're rooting for you!
Thanks, Iím rootin for my damn self at this point. Had to take a break lol sheís still on there and Iíve done a few different techniques in the articles lobux provided and still no dice. Send help
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sFTW View Post
Thanks, Iím rootin for my damn self at this point. Had to take a break lol sheís still on there and Iíve done a few different techniques in the articles lobux provided and still no dice. Send help
Bigger breaker bar?
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
mike33
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Iíve got left and right both ďpoppedĒ. Iíve broken everything loose and tried dropping it just a little to pry the rest and the furthest she has gotten are the splines on the axle. Right now Iím putting the diff back up and putting bolts back to try and pry them all the way out again. Iím playing with different angles and Iím not having much luck.
Putting the diff back up is not going to help, you need to lower the diff as much as possible to get the necessary clearance to remove the axle. You may even need
to twist the diff a little to get one side free first, then the other will come out easy... Wish I could be there to help, we could have it out in no time.
The following users liked this post:
1sFTW (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
mike33
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I supposed if you had to you could unbolt the lower control, sway bar link and #1 arm assembly to pivot the lower arm and axle out of the diff,
but that should not be necessary.
The following users liked this post:
1sFTW (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
I supposed if you had to you could unbolt the lower control, sway bar link and #1 arm assembly to pivot the lower arm and axle out of the diff,
but that should not be necessary.
If I had one more set of hands this thing would have been done. Right now, with only me working on it, my best bet is to start some disassembly of the suspension. Iíve only gotten everything broken loose, I donít have a control arm puller/ remover to pop the arms out. Hitting it with a hammer and theyíre not budging. But yeah, Iíve realized I need to drop it as much as possible. Iím going to resume tomorrow, got some stuff to do tonight!
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

If I had one more set of hands this thing would have been done. Right now, with only me working on it, my best bet is to start some disassembly of the suspension. Iíve only gotten everything broken loose, I donít have a control arm puller/ remover to pop the arms out. Hitting it with a hammer and theyíre not budging. But yeah, Iíve realized I need to drop it as much as possible. Iím going to resume tomorrow, got some stuff to do tonight!
That's where I ended up too. The only suggestion is you might be able to do one side at a time instead of both at the same time. Not sure how much height you have to work with though. I believe those who have been able to do this without disassembling the suspension had the car up on a lift with lots of room to drop the diff. If you're on 24" jackstands, I don't think you can get the diff low enough from the chassis, which is why I ended up disassembling a whole bunch of rear suspension bits.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like the general consensus is that the IS350 differential is too aggressive for the ISF. So, I have on order a GS350 rear differential carrier assembly. Through searching on this forum, someone did a direct swap with the IS350 diff on a GS350, so my thoughts are if that is a direct fit, GS350 to ISF in theory is a direct fit. GS350 diff is 3.679 vs the ISF 2.973. If anyone is interested and would like me to start a new thread outlying my thoughts on this once I get it installed, let me know. I'm set to receive the carrier on 5/9/2019 (according to fedex tracking). I should be able to get to the install Friday evening if not this Thursday, I only have one set of hands though , no one I know is a "car guy/gal" around me. I'll test responsiveness in manual and auto throughout the city and I'll go to some back roads to simulate highway speeds and of course, do some WOT. These are my initial thoughts using rpm/mph calculators on dragtimes.com and analyzing what I will be at in the city... I usually shift around 2400 rpm for city driving until I am at a cruising speed which is 45 in G8 at 1200rpm (usually downshifts me to G7 if I dip under 45) or 60 in G8 at 1600rpm. So at 2400rpm until that, my MPH from G1-G4 is 13.6, 22.95, 33.55, 42.7. If I stay with the same driving style, I will need G1-G5 10.99, 18.54, 27.11, 34.5, 41.03. 45 in G8 at ~1500rpm or 60 in G8 at ~2000rpm. As you can tell, I am bored, sorry for the ramble!

Do you have any "before" quarter or eighth mile drag timeslips with which to document the actual change this will make to the performance of your car?
Old Today, 06:31 AM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tas02 View Post
Do you have any "before" quarter or eighth mile drag timeslips with which to document the actual change this will make to the performance of your car?
Ive got many passes at the quarter (got damn near every slip) Some with stock, some with exhaust and tune. Some with e32 mix vs 93. All on street tires so yes, i will be able to identify actual performance.

Last edited by 1sFTW; Today at 06:36 AM.
Old Today, 06:36 AM
1sFTW
Driver School Candidate

Default Check out the diffs on the diffs

Left 13 gs350, right 08 isf

Left isf, right gs350

Isf

Gs350

Isf rear cover

Left isf, right gs350

Gs350 rear cover

I am transferring the rear cover of the isf on to the gs350 diff. The left rear mounting is horizontal on the isf and vertical on gs350. Same thread pattern and depth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: