Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present)
So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived >

So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived

Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived

 
Old 02-04-19, 02:09 PM
  #76  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,524
Received 359 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

For people who are saying "first year," maybe consider that this powertrain is been in use for a while now. If you see a 340i or 240i (out a few years now), you've seen the new Supra. its been around.
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-05-19, 07:00 AM
  #77  
Sheddy
Lexus Champion
 
Sheddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South FL
Posts: 1,716
Received 380 Likes on 294 Posts
Default

The video explains a lot.
I am a Toyota and BMW fan so...
Sheddy is offline  
Old 02-06-19, 01:13 PM
  #78  
Thesickest
Driver
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: California
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
For people who are saying "first year," maybe consider that this powertrain is been in use for a while now. If you see a 340i or 240i (out a few years now), you've seen the new Supra. its been around.

only one person said “first year”. Gee I wonder who could that be? Can you please tell detective Nancy drew because this mystery has me completely stumped
Thesickest is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 07:24 AM
  #79  
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 33
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

They shoulda just named the new supra something else.. smh
mrmle03 is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:23 AM
  #80  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,524
Received 359 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Thesickest View Post



only one person said “first year”. Gee I wonder who could that be? Can you please tell detective Nancy drew because this mystery has me completely stumped
huh? not sure what you are saying here.

it's a common phrase on a lot of youtube videos and on the comments section on many topics on the interwebs on the new supra. people are saying they're holding back cause first year etc etc.

they don't realize its an older powertrain
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:28 AM
  #81  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,524
Received 359 Likes on 288 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I agree with you, to a point. But when it comes to heritage, I lean the other way. I'd like to see an American made V8 in the Corvette too, not a BMW V8. Doesn't mean I don't like BMW, it just means that I KNOW America can make a V8 just as well as BMW (for the intended purpose), so they should.



I didn't say anything about cheap.

And I disagree, I think the 2JZ-GTE would work just fine today, with proper emissions. I just think there would be an outcry over it because of how old it is vs such a new, futuristic car.

Real life target IS a dragstrip, because that's what makes the car iconic. What was originally intended may have been something different, but the public has spoken...and Toyota should be proud, and LISTEN.

A collaboration IS smart business, but at the expense of heritage. And with all due respect, the Sports Car market is ALIVE AND WELL...along with manual gearboxes that require more driver input. The quicker automatic numbers only get you the sale, the manual DRIVE is what keeps you in the car. It's sad that a lot of companies are having to relearn this...
It's just internet fanboys and some kids who are decrying no 2JZ. the actual demo who will buy these 60k cars will likely not care too much that they're NOT getting an 1990s powertrain.

I think selling the car is what Toyota is concerned with. Manual is a shrinking market and tends not to bode well with high torque high output engines cause the performance advantage is lost with a manual.

I think a manual works best with something like a Miata. But not something with a ton of torque. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a manual in a supra, but obviously toyota felt the business case wasn't there at the time. BMW is catching the same flak for its reduction in manuals, but mostly from internet fanboys. Actual target demo doesn't want manuals anymore for the most part. At the end of the day the business case has to be there supported by actual research
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 11:44 AM
  #82  
EZZ
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,923
Likes: 0
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
It's just internet fanboys and some kids who are decrying no 2JZ. the actual demo who will buy these 60k cars will likely not care too much that they're NOT getting an 1990s powertrain.

I think selling the car is what Toyota is concerned with. Manual is a shrinking market and tends not to bode well with high torque high output engines cause the performance advantage is lost with a manual.

I think a manual works best with something like a Miata. But not something with a ton of torque. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a manual in a supra, but obviously toyota felt the business case wasn't there at the time. BMW is catching the same flak for its reduction in manuals, but mostly from internet fanboys. Actual target demo doesn't want manuals anymore for the most part. At the end of the day the business case has to be there supported by actual research
The most enthusiastic demographic probably wants a manual but can't afford the car. The people who buy the car or are capable of buying the car probably won't buy a manual.
EZZ is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 06:35 AM
  #83  
Xanadu350
Lexus Test Driver
 
Xanadu350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,178
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

But will it go 260 on the autobahn??
Xanadu350 is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 PM
  #84  
Thesickest
Driver
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: California
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I came across this interesting article:
https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp...sti-1832589427

Talked about getting finessed Toyota. *Tsk tsk*
I wonder when will the first engine swap happen
Thesickest is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 03:53 AM
  #85  
Flash5
Lexus Champion
 
Flash5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,654
Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Thesickest View Post
I came across this interesting article:
https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp...sti-1832589427

Talked about getting finessed Toyota. *Tsk tsk*
I wonder when will the first engine swap happen
Damnnnnn lol. BMW is savage.
Flash5 is online now  
Old 02-26-19, 08:28 AM
  #86  
WhyHateTho
Driver
 
WhyHateTho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 143
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

WhyHateTho is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: