IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 02:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

For people who are saying "first year," maybe consider that this powertrain is been in use for a while now. If you see a 340i or 240i (out a few years now), you've seen the new Supra. its been around.
Old 02-05-19, 07:00 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

The video explains a lot.
I am a Toyota and BMW fan so...
Old 02-06-19, 01:13 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
For people who are saying "first year," maybe consider that this powertrain is been in use for a while now. If you see a 340i or 240i (out a few years now), you've seen the new Supra. its been around.

only one person said “first year”. Gee I wonder who could that be? Can you please tell detective Nancy drew because this mystery has me completely stumped
Old 02-08-19, 07:24 AM
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They shoulda just named the new supra something else.. smh
Old 02-08-19, 09:23 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Thesickest

only one person said “first year”. Gee I wonder who could that be? Can you please tell detective Nancy drew because this mystery has me completely stumped
huh? not sure what you are saying here.

it's a common phrase on a lot of youtube videos and on the comments section on many topics on the interwebs on the new supra. people are saying they're holding back cause first year etc etc.

they don't realize its an older powertrain
Old 02-08-19, 09:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
I agree with you, to a point. But when it comes to heritage, I lean the other way. I'd like to see an American made V8 in the Corvette too, not a BMW V8. Doesn't mean I don't like BMW, it just means that I KNOW America can make a V8 just as well as BMW (for the intended purpose), so they should.

I didn't say anything about cheap.

And I disagree, I think the 2JZ-GTE would work just fine today, with proper emissions. I just think there would be an outcry over it because of how old it is vs such a new, futuristic car.

Real life target IS a dragstrip, because that's what makes the car iconic. What was originally intended may have been something different, but the public has spoken...and Toyota should be proud, and LISTEN.

A collaboration IS smart business, but at the expense of heritage. And with all due respect, the Sports Car market is ALIVE AND WELL...along with manual gearboxes that require more driver input. The quicker automatic numbers only get you the sale, the manual DRIVE is what keeps you in the car. It's sad that a lot of companies are having to relearn this...
It's just internet fanboys and some kids who are decrying no 2JZ. the actual demo who will buy these 60k cars will likely not care too much that they're NOT getting an 1990s powertrain.

I think selling the car is what Toyota is concerned with. Manual is a shrinking market and tends not to bode well with high torque high output engines cause the performance advantage is lost with a manual.

I think a manual works best with something like a Miata. But not something with a ton of torque. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a manual in a supra, but obviously toyota felt the business case wasn't there at the time. BMW is catching the same flak for its reduction in manuals, but mostly from internet fanboys. Actual target demo doesn't want manuals anymore for the most part. At the end of the day the business case has to be there supported by actual research
Old 02-08-19, 11:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's just internet fanboys and some kids who are decrying no 2JZ. the actual demo who will buy these 60k cars will likely not care too much that they're NOT getting an 1990s powertrain.

I think selling the car is what Toyota is concerned with. Manual is a shrinking market and tends not to bode well with high torque high output engines cause the performance advantage is lost with a manual.

I think a manual works best with something like a Miata. But not something with a ton of torque. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a manual in a supra, but obviously toyota felt the business case wasn't there at the time. BMW is catching the same flak for its reduction in manuals, but mostly from internet fanboys. Actual target demo doesn't want manuals anymore for the most part. At the end of the day the business case has to be there supported by actual research
The most enthusiastic demographic probably wants a manual but can't afford the car. The people who buy the car or are capable of buying the car probably won't buy a manual.
Old 02-09-19, 06:35 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

But will it go 260 on the autobahn??
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came across this interesting article:
https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp...sti-1832589427

Talked about getting finessed Toyota. *Tsk tsk*
I wonder when will the first engine swap happen
Old 02-14-19, 03:53 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesickest
I came across this interesting article:
https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp...sti-1832589427

Talked about getting finessed Toyota. *Tsk tsk*
I wonder when will the first engine swap happen
Damnnnnn lol. BMW is savage.
Old 02-26-19, 08:28 AM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/26/...gine-swap-kit/
Old 03-27-20, 12:55 PM
momak
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This reminds me of when subaru and toyota did the brz / frs collab. as long as it sells, eh
Old 03-27-20, 01:54 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I commute 64 miles a day, and get all around a very large county here in San Diego, and have not seen 1 on the road. Where I work median income in the area is about 100k, so that's not the issue.

Not a single one.

Anyone else?
Old 03-27-20, 05:50 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I commute 64 miles a day, and get all around a very large county here in San Diego, and have not seen 1 on the road. Where I work median income in the area is about 100k, so that's not the issue.

Not a single one.

Anyone else?
I've seen about 5 so far, including a SEMA car that was having a photoshoot on a random street. I am in LA though so there's abundance of every car here.
Old 03-28-20, 04:48 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
I've seen about 5 so far, including a SEMA car that was having a photoshoot on a random street. I am in LA though so there's abundance of every car here.
san diego's car culture mirrors that of it's larger city to the north, los angeles. we have pretty much everything under the sun here as well. i've seen one out and about very frequently in my home city but only because some guy up the block owns one and another out and about twice now around the city. it's more commonplace to see true supercars around temecula from those who live in wine country. and yeah, income is definitely not the issue, at least here in temecula where the median family income is over $100k/year.

Quick Reply: So who here is trading their IS for the new Supra? It's arrived