ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Test PCS Pre-Collision System, not working

Old 01-04-19, 07:47 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Car9
Every time I pull into my garage the sensors go crazy. Sounds like impending doom. Front and side sensors aren't happy. The ES is longer than my previous vehicle by 4 inches! So I have to inch forward slowly. It's kinda of nerve wracking. Maybe I might have to buy a new house with a larger garage.
mine will stop when it gets too close to the wall. So I just slowly move into the garage until it stop. Mine have birds eye view, so i don’t need to take the guess.
Old 01-05-19, 08:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Again, we are discussing two entirely different auto braking systems. The PreCollision System PCS is a high speed system using
the windshield mounted camera and grille mounted millimeter radar sensor. Defaults on every time the car starts and can be
modified between three (3) different sensitivities. This is the one we are advocating NOT attempting to test or casually demonstrate.
It is standard on all 2018 and newer Toyotas and Lexus models in the Lexus Safety System along with Lane Keep/Trace, Intelligent
High Beams

The Intelligent Clearance Sonar (RX's) and Auto Braking (NX's and 2019 ES's) use the bumper mounted Park Assist sensors and
the Blind Spot Monitor BSM/Rear Cross Traffic Alert RCTA system to apply the brakes at speeds under 5 MPH. This can be easily
and safely shown by simply idling along toward a (large, soft, inexpensive..) object such as a Recycling Container in either direction,
forward or reverse and the car will apply the brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
AnthonyMJ (01-06-19), Car9 (01-05-19)
Old 01-05-19, 08:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I tried numerous times to "test" PCS after we bought our first vehicle with it in 2012 but never could trigger it no matter how aggressively I drove.

We bought a second vehicle with PCS in early 2014 and I am certain that its PCS saved me from a high speed crash a few months later in morning rush hour traffic when a stopped car swerved in front of me while I was traveling at about 60 mph. It was as if a boat anchor had been thrown out. The brakes slammed on with full panic stop level force before I got my right foot off the gas pedal. As I was thrown forward by the automatic braking, my seat belt tightened with so much force that my chest hurt the rest of the day. The automatic braking gave me enough time to swerve and miss the other car by what seemed like an inch. The whole experience was over in a couple of seconds. I don't know if I ever got my foot on the brake pedal. It was an awesome experience.

PCS has since been triggered a few other times - mainly when oncoming cars turned left just in front of me - but the automatic braking was less severe and the seat belt unspooled right after it started to tighten.
Old 01-12-19, 06:18 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Car9
Every time I pull into my garage the sensors go crazy. Sounds like impending doom. Front and side sensors aren't happy. The ES is longer than my previous vehicle by 4 inches! So I have to inch forward slowly. It's kinda of nerve wracking. Maybe I might have to buy a new house with a larger garage.
As I pull into the garage and slowly nudge forward, my '19 ES F applies the brakes if I get too close to the shelves ahead. A few days ago, a small step ladder was outside the garage and the car stopped while in reverse, so I didn't hit it.

When driving, if a car is ahead of you making a turn, and you're coming up from behind (with plenty of room to go around it,) the system "recommends braking." I haven't (yet) tried to drive into a concrete wall to see if it stops. I'll leave that to more adventurous owners.

The following users liked this post:
Car9 (01-12-19)
Old 01-13-19, 11:38 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
As I pull into the garage and slowly nudge forward, my '19 ES F applies the brakes if I get too close to the shelves ahead. A few days ago, a small step ladder was outside the garage and the car stopped while in reverse, so I didn't hit it.

When driving, if a car is ahead of you making a turn, and you're coming up from behind (with plenty of room to go around it,) the system "recommends braking." I haven't (yet) tried to drive into a concrete wall to see if it stops. I'll leave that to more adventurous owners.
You are describing two completely different systems. The first of which is Intelligence Clearance Sonar, or otherwise known as parking sensors. The car uses the parking sensors to determine distance to objects at very low speeds and will stop the car if necessary to avoid contact.

The second system you're describing is the one this thread is actually about, and is known as Pre-Collision System. It uses radar sensors as well as the windshield mounted camera to determine an impending accident.
Old 01-13-19, 12:00 PM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
... I haven't (yet) tried to drive into a concrete wall to see if it stops. I'll leave that to more adventurous owners.
Weill, I did. although not intentionally. I was pulling into a tight space in a parking garage when suddenly an alarm went off, the brakes slammed on, the front camera activated and warning, "check surrounding" message flashed onto to the screen. I was about 10-12" from a low concrete wall that I couldn't see from over the hood. It earned it's price just for that...
Old 01-14-19, 05:38 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by signdetres
You are describing two completely different systems. The first of which is Intelligence Clearance Sonar, or otherwise known as parking sensors. The car uses the parking sensors to determine distance to objects at very low speeds and will stop the car if necessary to avoid contact.

The second system you're describing is the one this thread is actually about, and is known as Pre-Collision System. It uses radar sensors as well as the windshield mounted camera to determine an impending accident.
Yes thanks. I was commenting that all the safety systems (other than attempting to rear end someone to see if the car stops) seem to be working on my car. PCS, according to iihs, was tested up to 25 mph and proved effective.

Old 01-15-19, 04:38 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

I don't know if this has been posted before?