Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Toyota Supra

Old 05-19-19, 08:45 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
I believe BMW was only claiming a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds for the Z4 where Toyota was claiming 4.1. Car and Driver managed a 3.8 second run in the Supra. Haven't seen numbers on the Z4 yet. It's clear how much different these cars are aside from the foundation (and interior).
That 5.2 time is for the sDrive30i - the turbo 4 which is rated at 255 hp. The Z4 m40i is much faster. Meanwhile, Toyota is sticking to its official 4.1 seconds 0-60 time. IMHO these two siblings are very much alike. Early reviews of both say that they are balanced, sharp handlers. The Supra is the value leader though. The Supra comes with the inline six right now for $50K or so. To step up to the six in the Z4 you pay an extra $13K for starters.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is incorrect.

BMW originally claimed 0-60 of 4.3sec for Z4 as they always underrate power #s and 0-60 times.

After Toyota published Supra 0-60, BMW revised Z4 time to 3.9sec!
Yeah, no way BMW is going to let the Toyota boys have all the glory, what with its own hardware sitting under the body of the Supra. In testing it's going to be interesting to see if the Z4 beats its official 0-60 time.
Old 05-19-19, 06:37 PM
Jaylyons1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
That 5.2 time is for the sDrive30i - the turbo 4 which is rated at 255 hp. The Z4 m40i is much faster. Meanwhile, Toyota is sticking to its official 4.1 seconds 0-60 time. IMHO these two siblings are very much alike. Early reviews of both say that they are balanced, sharp handlers. The Supra is the value leader though. The Supra comes with the inline six right now for $50K or so. To step up to the six in the Z4 you pay an extra $13K for starters.

Yeah, no way BMW is going to let the Toyota boys have all the glory, what with its own hardware sitting under the body of the Supra. In testing it's going to be interesting to see if the Z4 beats its official 0-60 time.
That's what I'm waiting for. I want to see real world testing of the Z4. Granted, I'd never buy one as I'm not a fan of verts. The Supra on the other hand, that may happen. I'm really curious on how similar they perform since all the tuning was done separately.
Old 05-19-19, 06:57 PM
pman6
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if it were AWD, it could do 3.6
Old 05-19-19, 07:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylyons1
That's what I'm waiting for. I want to see real world testing of the Z4. Granted, I'd never buy one as I'm not a fan of verts. The Supra on the other hand, that may happen. I'm really curious on how similar they perform since all the tuning was done separately.
The only real knock against the Supra/Z4 siblings is a lack of a six speed manual transmission at this point. These are enthusiast cars and meant to bring some smiles for the miles.

Their ZF autoboxes are wonderful but they won't really give the driver a real experience of mechanical fun with manual shift. Even the Porsches use PDK for that extra crisp performance. The Z4 M40i should be able to easily match or beat that official 3.9 second zero to 60. It's a German car tradition to underrate and understate. If not, there is an ECU tune waiting in the wings to fix that.

I don't like the styling of the this Z4 vs its predecessor. That was and is a very nice looking roadster despite its bobtail rear end. This Z4 is aimed squarely at MB and it seems to have its exterior styling focused in that direction, not to mention that 385 hp inline six.
Old 05-21-19, 10:59 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels, So that's about 406 hp to the crank.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...gVSfo3IO3gsj00

Last edited by Diesel350; 05-21-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 12:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350 View Post
Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels, So that's about 406 hp to the crank.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...gVSfo3IO3gsj00
German horses are stronger than Japanese horses
Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM
Benoit
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe to have heard that the Japanese have an obligation to give realistic numbers to their customers. Looks like one of those japanese things (the thing VW would not do).
Old Today, 08:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts

Last edited by flowrider; Today at 08:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: