GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Good luck Kiichiro!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 07:28 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Very much looking forward to your working progresses and results. Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
Greenbow (04-21-19)
Old 05-12-19, 06:10 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Some updates

Got the Dobinson kit installed. Also removed the factory steps and threw on the Prado ones sans the steps. Really enjoying the ride. I removed the cladding to clean it up and am now debating my options for how best to address. Next is the rear bumper install and lights. Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Greenbow:
hzhao (05-12-19), John00 (05-12-19)
Old 05-12-19, 02:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

That is a lot of color you have going on there behind the wheel and tire with this black and white 460

I don't recall seeing the OEM side molding pulled off. I bought the OEM option from Sewell Lexus back when they sold parts online and the tape has held up. I guess I cut off the hole clips...been a while back as this was an option with 2010 and 2011. Anyway, I am not clear on why you pulled this off? Thanks and nice work.

Old 05-12-19, 03:08 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by tecman
That is a lot of color you have going on there behind the wheel and tire with this black and white 460

I don't recall seeing the OEM side molding pulled off. I bought the OEM option from Sewell Lexus back when they sold parts online and the tape has held up. I guess I cut off the hole clips...been a while back as this was an option with 2010 and 2011. Anyway, I am not clear on why you pulled this off? Thanks and nice work.
Good question. I pulled them off right before the install. Trust me I was hoping that similar to other manufacturers the molding would just be a fascia without dimples or holes. Needless to say I was overjoyed when I discovered that that is not the case I'm a big Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) fan so I wanted to remove the molding as I create a Prado 150 replica...

Lol, it is a lot of color man. Totally unplanned by the way!
Old 07-02-19, 03:43 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default Way ahead of you man

Originally Posted by Romanova
Not sure which Prado 150 tails I like better... the ones you selected, or the red and clear ones that have "LANDCRUISER" on them. Can't wait to see the finished product and please document the wiring for those of us on the fence about doing this upgrade.

These came in today. Figure I’ll go with the cleats instead and possibly sell the newer Prado tails. Planning is done; I’ve got everything but the headlights which should arrive next week then it’s conversion time.
The following 4 users liked this post by Greenbow:
hzhao (07-02-19), John00 (07-02-19), ltsr (07-02-19), nuclearn8 (10-29-19)
Old 07-03-19, 07:59 AM
Kiza
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever try fitting the newer Prado lights? Not sure if you bought the ones that were on sale from someone in Japan late last year for about 1k, but I was very tempted for quite some time!
Old 07-03-19, 08:03 AM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kiza
Did you ever try fitting the newer Prado lights? Not sure if you bought the ones that were on sale from someone in Japan late last year for about 1k, but I was very tempted for quite some time!
They fit without issue. Just a matter of splicing since the reverse lights are in the tail light housing. These ran me $350 including express shipping. No way I’d drop that kind of money on tails.
Old 07-03-19, 03:22 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenbow
They fit without issue. Just a matter of splicing since the reverse lights are in the tail light housing. These ran me $350 including express shipping. No way I’d drop that kind of money on tails.
I remembered one of member here had replaced similar LC tail lights on GX, but there was a gap at the bottom of light due to slightly different in sheet metal for the GX rear end, Not sure if the set you got (maybe due to different model year), still have the gap or not? Which model years of LC tail lights that you have gotten? Love to replace the GX with those, much more appearing.
Old 07-10-19, 03:21 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
I remembered one of member here had replaced similar LC tail lights on GX, but there was a gap at the bottom of light due to slightly different in sheet metal for the GX rear end, Not sure if the set you got (maybe due to different model year), still have the gap or not? Which model years of LC tail lights that you have gotten? Love to replace the GX with those, much more appearing.

So far so good but I see what you mean. Got started on the rear with the lights and bumper. Lexus does not have the proper pigtail for the lights so reaching out to Toyota for a part number (fingers crossed so don't have to splice wiring). Also the parking sensors fit the Prado bumper at an angle so also investigating OEM clips. So far though so good. If all goes well should have the back done and can move to the front. Going with the clears but held up both for some perspective. Removed the hitch as well; don't pull anything so I'm not inconvenienced. Cheers!

Current Prado 150 tails

Clears with the LC insignia
hzhao (07-10-19), John00 (07-11-19)
Old 08-04-19, 06:28 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Unhappy Bumper, lights and plate holder

Managed to get the bumper installed along with the Prado tails. I also installed the Prado license plate holder in the tailgate. Short of the emblems everything is done in the back.

The bumper is a Prado sport bumper, had to order Toyota parking sensor holders since the GX version are angled and the Prado bumper does not accept them. The aftermarket lights I got were flimsy so I replaced them with something that could function as a camp light if necessary and at the same time match the clear tails. Enter the Extreme LED Stackerz in a spot pattern. The switch to control them ins mounted in the rear jack stand storage compartment.

A better shot of how things come together.

Love these lights. Once the truck is wrapped they will definitely pop. Lighting was for the most part straight forward except for a couple of things. Reverse lights had to be spliced into the housing. Also, ended up using the old harness with some modifications. Wanted to get more detailed pics of this but failed too...
hzhao (08-04-19), ltsr (08-04-19)
Old 08-04-19, 06:33 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Default License plate trim (having picture posting issues)

So today I installed the LC Prado Zenki license plate trim. Zenki is the first iteration so it'd be the 10-13 Prado. This was a fun install and mod. Not sure why but when I go to post multiple pics I seem to time out. In the interest of before and after this is what you have. All total took me a good hour to knock this out. Have more detailed pics and will try to post a proper writeup.
The following 5 users liked this post by Greenbow:
DBLex1 (10-29-19), hzhao (08-04-19), John00 (08-04-19), ltsr (08-04-19), nuclearn8 (10-27-19)
Old 08-04-19, 06:57 PM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

are you going to change the mirrors?

Or the lexus to prado in the door?

i saw a bunch of other parts but these looked the most OEM, many others were overkill in my opinion
Old 08-04-19, 07:08 PM
Greenbow
Rookie

Originally Posted by John00
are you going to change the mirrors?

Or the lexus to prado in the door?

i saw a bunch of other parts but these looked the most OEM, many others were overkill in my opinion
I want to say that that’s just a garnish for the existing mirror; probably hold off for the time being. I have seen a number of those kick plates and may opt for them at some point. You can definitely go overkill on the JDM!
Old 10-26-19, 01:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Any update on your build Greenbow? Haven’t heard from you recently.
Mistaken (11-19-19)
Old 10-29-19, 09:09 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

[/QUOTE]
I'd like to know where you bought this from... I did a barn door transformation to Prado but it doesn't look as OEM as yours: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10639832
DBLex1 (10-29-19)

Quick Reply: Good luck Kiichiro!!