Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 10:52 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I get the feeling you like arguing just for the sake of arguing because you are seriously lacking any logic.
​​​​​​
I believe slandering someone by intentionally misquoting them may be grounds for a banning? Any moderators can help here?
Old 09-28-17, 11:16 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kense
Just curious but better in what way , Interior yes but you said driving standards. What makes the C43 a better drivers car? Once you change the tires on the RS400 it becomes a different feeling car. Runflats are trash, the C43 has a better transmission but still gets out performed by the RS. Some AWD RS's have run 4.3 0-60 times stock.
Also, don't select the option DAS (Direct Adaptive Steering, aka steer-by-wire) because it messes with road feel and perception of handling. I can't believe someone suggested that an Audi (S4/S5) is more of a driver's car than a Q50 Red Sport 400. Audis are notorious for numb steering with very little road feel.
Old 09-29-17, 04:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,337 Posts

I believe slandering someone by intentionally misquoting them may be grounds for a banning? Any moderators can help here?
you did say that, different thread in the past. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post3666367

BoDarville, exit this thread. No need for the rude personal commentary, discuss the vehicles and not the people.
Old 09-29-17, 07:55 AM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not? The Red Sport 400 accelerates just as fast. Feels just as grippy. The only drawback to the Red Sport 400 is the extra 150 lbs. over the C43.
But it doesn't, the C43 is a 4.1 second car regardless of what all Mercedes marketing has plastered on their website. Also, the previous generation G35/37 coupes sounded absolutely phenomenal when given WOT - I think Infiniti missed the mark by neutering this car.
Old 09-29-17, 08:01 AM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

Just curious but better in what way , Interior yes but you said driving standards. What makes the C43 a better drivers car? Once you change the tires on the RS400 it becomes a different feeling car. Runflats are trash, the C43 has a better transmission but still gets out performed by the RS. Some AWD RS's have run 4.3 0-60 times stock.
The C43 pulls in about 4.1 seconds to 60 - it feels pretty quick and sounds exceptionally well under WOT with the Performance Exhaust. While the RS400 is a great machine, the Jekyll / Hyde personality of the C43 is really what sets it apart in this category...at least until the G series BMWs come out...then we'll have to see if BMW went back to their roots. Also, the tranny on the C43 is actually probably the worst part of the car. It has a notorious rodeo-like trait that happens every now and then. Overall, I was in the market for a new sports coupe about a year back, and after considerable research, I wasn't able to find a single credible source that said that anything in the current Q60 line up was up to snub with the C43s or 4-Series.
Old 09-29-17, 08:47 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see proof the C43 runs a 4.1 second 0 to 60 time which is what a BMW M3/4 typically hits there is no way a C43 is as fast as an M3/4. The tranny on the C43 was changed from the C450 and it's much better than it was. The worst part of the C43 is the harsh ride.
Old 09-29-17, 08:57 AM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

I would like to see proof the C43 runs a 4.1 second 0 to 60 time which is what a BMW M3/4 typically hits there is no way a C43 is as fast as an M3/4. The tranny on the C43 was changed from the C450 and it's much better than it was. The worst part of the C43 is the harsh ride.
Here is a car and driver test of the C43 stating the 4.1 second to 60 mph.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

The M3/M4 are both considered sub-4 second cars - I've seen numbers range from as low as 3.7 to about 4.1
To be honest, the tranny upgrade being much better is debatable. People like the new 9 speed auto for it's fuel efficiency - but the car has a tendency to rock back and forth when going between heavy acceleration to hard braking to heavy acceleration again in (particularly in Sport+). The harsh ride is over rated - it's just a touch worst than the ride quality of M Adaptive suspension. No where near as comfortable as a Japanese sports sedan / coupe - but that's something most people can live with.
Old 09-29-17, 09:20 AM
Kense
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5ilver
Here is a car and driver test of the C43 stating the 4.1 second to 60 mph.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

The M3/M4 are both considered sub-4 second cars - I've seen numbers range from as low as 3.7 to about 4.1
To be honest, the tranny upgrade being much better is debatable. People like the new 9 speed auto for it's fuel efficiency - but the car has a tendency to rock back and forth when going between heavy acceleration to hard braking to heavy acceleration again in (particularly in Sport+). The harsh ride is over rated - it's just a touch worst than the ride quality of M Adaptive suspension. No where near as comfortable as a Japanese sports sedan / coupe - but that's something most people can live with.
That's interesting. I have a Red Sport and have run with a couple of C43's and it's always been dead even. Of course the driver matters. Most everyday drivers are not going to hit that number. Same with the M3/M4 getting below 4 seconds. Also the cost of the C43 is 10 to 15K more expensive. It's almost what a base C63 cost. There would really be no reason to get a C63 other than prestige since it's only slightly quicker than a C43, who cares about the one man one engine gimmick.
Old 09-29-17, 11:43 AM
5ilver
Driver School Candidate

That's interesting. I have a Red Sport and have run with a couple of C43's and it's always been dead even. Of course the driver matters. Most everyday drivers are not going to hit that number. Same with the M3/M4 getting below 4 seconds. Also the cost of the C43 is 10 to 15K more expensive. It's almost what a base C63 cost. There would really be no reason to get a C63 other than prestige since it's only slightly quicker than a C43, who cares about the one man one engine gimmick.
I can see a bit of our inherent bias coming through in both of our posts - which is understandable. A large part of my decision actually came down to way the payments worked out for me - I received a loyalty credit through MB Financial as well as a designation discount. I actually liked, still like, the looks of the Q60RS a bit better than the C43. There's also no doubt in my mind that the Japanese competitors give you more value for money than their German counterparts. If I could go back in time, I'd still get the C43. Although, I'd probably be saying the same thing about the Q60RS if that's what I went with haha.

About the C63 argument you've made - I'm all for the V8 Twin Turbo, but I'm sacrificing power for sending power to all four wheels (a requirement I've put on every vehicle I've owned in the past decade). If I lived down where snow wasn't an issue, I'd love to jump in a true RWD sports car - but until then, I'm currently stuck with not having any really good options north of a C43 or south of an R8 / GTR lol.

If interested, this is a really good review of the C43 by a gent named Mr. AMG (who owns just about every current AMG under the sun):
Old 09-29-17, 03:42 PM
Kense
Instructor

I can see a bit of our inherent bias coming through in both of our posts - which is understandable. A large part of my decision actually came down to way the payments worked out for me - I received a loyalty credit through MB Financial as well as a designation discount. I actually liked, still like, the looks of the Q60RS a bit better than the C43. There's also no doubt in my mind that the Japanese competitors give you more value for money than their German counterparts. If I could go back in time, I'd still get the C43. Although, I'd probably be saying the same thing about the Q60RS if that's what I went with haha.

About the C63 argument you've made - I'm all for the V8 Twin Turbo, but I'm sacrificing power for sending power to all four wheels (a requirement I've put on every vehicle I've owned in the past decade). If I lived down where snow wasn't an issue, I'd love to jump in a true RWD sports car - but until then, I'm currently stuck with not having any really good options north of a C43 or south of an R8 / GTR lol.

If interested, this is a really good review of the C43 by a gent named Mr. AMG (who owns just about every current AMG under the sun): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu34x5T1c6E
I actually looked at a C43 Sedan prior to my purchase, the numbers just were not working. They wanted almost $1000 a month at the time. I couldn't justify it. The lowest dealer I found was around $850 a month which is higher than a quote I got on an M3.. I really like the C43 and the exhaust note is one of the best I've ever heard in a non V8. Thanks for that video, I'll check it out now.
Old 09-30-17, 03:16 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

But it doesn't, the C43 is a 4.1 second car regardless of what all Mercedes marketing has plastered on their website. Also, the previous generation G35/37 coupes sounded absolutely phenomenal when given WOT - I think Infiniti missed the mark by neutering this car.
I don't know why Nissan/Infiniti are stubborn to stick with Dunlop tires on their high performance cars. The GT-R could handle better and post better lap times if they switched out their Dunlops with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. The same thing with the Q50 Red Sport 400. The OEM Dunlops are crap. Maybe Nissan/Infiniti have an agreement with Dunlop?
Old 10-03-17, 05:30 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I live near Frankfurt Germany and have seen this car around wrapped in vinyl so I wasn't sure what it was. After seeing this post the pics matches up to what I saw.
Old 10-03-17, 03:17 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default At Dallas State Fair

Fully loaded, Korea Spec.
LED tail lights
E logo on steering wheel and flat bottom, covered cupholders.
Old 10-04-17, 08:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,513 Posts

thanks for pics. what's the E logo on steering wheel mean?
Old 10-04-17, 10:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for pics. what's the E logo on steering wheel mean?
That's the model-specific logo that's being used in the Korean market. Not sure if it will make it to the States. The units I've driven all had the standard "KIA" badge on the wheel. U.S. market vehicles also have the "KIA" badge just under the rear brake light, not the scripted "stinger" writing.

Makes me think this is just a pre-production unit from Korea that was brought over for the show circuit.

Last edited by pbm317; 10-04-17 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger GT Unveiled: Wow!