Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 03:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 456 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
nope. That hunchback looks worse than the one on the production version.
Neither prototype nor production are perfect, but I believe overall the prototype is cleaner, more attractive, and would turn more heads.

Old 09-19-17, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I actually prefer the production car lol
Old 09-19-17, 05:12 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I've seen that C-pillar design before

The GS and previous LS had a rounded kink on the pillar whereas the ES and new LS have a sharper, almond-shaped design.

Attached Thumbnails Lexus LS500/LS500h-19e21e8895bf1a7a7f7a72c3af12bacb-01.jpg  
Old 09-19-17, 07:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will fully admit my German car styling bias. It's all subjective as many others have pointed out. But that doesn't mean you can't be a Lexus fan either. That said, is it me or do the Toyota stylists like big butt rear ends on their cars? Why so square and gigantic? Would not a sedan enthusiast go to a CUV or SUV in the Toyota/Lexus line for additional cargo capacity? How many suitcases and golf bags do you need to stuff into that trunk?

Here's the relatively boring 750.

The totally ugly 2014 7 series rear end.

The older but still current S class back end. Fairly staid but it doesn't look ginormous.

Old 09-19-17, 08:22 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with hybrids seeming to hold their value well, it might play well with a lease too...
while too early to tell, the LS600hl was atrocious in holding its resale value - obviously people bought that car for the overboard luxury rather than mpg savings.
Old 09-19-17, 09:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just finished it, its long but if you have interest in the car its worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77M4zzDPPqU

This short video also shows some stuff about the back seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2TV5RmMF2A

TFL will post more little videos like that, driving impressions embargoed until 9/26.

Roman mentioned fully loaded the car would be ~ $100,000 which is also a deal.

Someone on lexusenthusiast.com posted a cliff notes version of the first video for those who can't sit through a 45min presentation :

- door armrests, center console, and seats were all ergonomically designed together to make it feel like you're sitting in a very comfortable couch
- some interesting new varieties of available wood trim

- The new generation AVS is standard on every model
- 19/29 EPA MPG RWD, 18/27 AWD; impressive gains over the 4LS
- V35A engine makes 416HP at 6000RPM, and more impressive, 442 lb-ft torque at 1600-4800 RPM. That's a much wider, flatter torque spread than compared to the only other current Lexus turbo engine, the 8AR-FTS
- twin turbos were developed in-house (I expected nothing less)
- each direct injector in the engine has six holes
- race-derived engine technology includes laser-clad valve seats, high-strength forged connecting rod (material used not mentioned)

- 23 speaker flagship Mark Levinson audio system, 2400W power capability. That should silence some of the more preposterous audio competitors in the segment. It comes with Quantum Logic Immersion (QLI) Technology, previously only featured on high-end professional Lexicon Pro audio equipment. Truly a world class audio system worthy of the LS.

- multi-stage hybrid still using the old 8GR engine; who knows when we will see the multi-stage hybrid system with the V35A engine.
- F-Sport package apparently not available on the hybrid unfortunately

- GA-L (TNGA-L) as expected stands for (Toyota New) Global Architecture-Luxury

- the 5LS surprisingly uses a front mid-ship layout, similar in philosophy to the LFA. Was not expecting a front mid-ship layout.
- standard 5LS has pretty large front and rear brakes; LS500 F-Sport gets very impressive high-friction 6 piston 15.7 inch front, and 4 piston 14.1 inch rear brakes. That is incredible braking power for only an F-Sport package. This is the sort of braking power you would normally see on a full F vehicle. These are bigger brakes than an AMG S 63!

- The "performance package" for the LS500 F-Sport has a very impressive combination of AVS, ****, VGRS, DRS, VDIM Step 6 technologies
- No powertrain-specific F-Sport upgrades, but very impressive suspension and braking upgrades

- much more sophisticated Climate Concierge system
- up to 22 way adjustable rear seats. Very impressive.

Last edited by natnut; 09-19-17 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added video
Old 09-20-17, 05:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77M4zzDPPqU

Someone on lexusenthusiast.com posted a cliff notes version of the first video for those who can't sit through a 45min presentation :

- door armrests, center console, and seats were all ergonomically designed together to make it feel like you're sitting in a very comfortable couch
- some interesting new varieties of available wood trim

- The new generation AVS is standard on every model
- 19/29 EPA MPG RWD, 18/27 AWD; impressive gains over the 4LS
- V35A engine makes 416HP at 6000RPM, and more impressive, 442 lb-ft torque at 1600-4800 RPM. That's a much wider, flatter torque spread than compared to the only other current Lexus turbo engine, the 8AR-FTS
- twin turbos were developed in-house (I expected nothing less)
- each direct injector in the engine has six holes
- race-derived engine technology includes laser-clad valve seats, high-strength forged connecting rod (material used not mentioned)

- 23 speaker flagship Mark Levinson audio system, 2400W power capability. That should silence some of the more preposterous audio competitors in the segment. It comes with Quantum Logic Immersion (QLI) Technology, previously only featured on high-end professional Lexicon Pro audio equipment. Truly a world class audio system worthy of the LS.

- multi-stage hybrid still using the old 8GR engine; who knows when we will see the multi-stage hybrid system with the V35A engine.
- F-Sport package apparently not available on the hybrid unfortunately

- GA-L (TNGA-L) as expected stands for (Toyota New) Global Architecture-Luxury

- the 5LS surprisingly uses a front mid-ship layout, similar in philosophy to the LFA. Was not expecting a front mid-ship layout.
- standard 5LS has pretty large front and rear brakes; LS500 F-Sport gets very impressive high-friction 6 piston 15.7 inch front, and 4 piston 14.1 inch rear brakes. That is incredible braking power for only an F-Sport package. This is the sort of braking power you would normally see on a full F vehicle. These are bigger brakes than an AMG S 63!

- The "performance package" for the LS500 F-Sport has a very impressive combination of AVS, ****, VGRS, DRS, VDIM Step 6 technologies
- No powertrain-specific F-Sport upgrades, but very impressive suspension and braking upgrades

- much more sophisticated Climate Concierge system
- up to 22 way adjustable rear seats. Very impressive.
Thanks for the recap.
Old 09-20-17, 06:57 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So which of the acronyms stands for the hydraulic roll bars again mentioned in the earlier video?

Dynamics team really took it upon themselves to go in on the acronyms.

Just to be funny, no camera sensing the road for potholes?
Old 09-20-17, 07:09 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Another candid closeup of the LS500h, this time with a red interior :

Old 09-20-17, 03:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MattyG
I will fully admit my German car styling bias. It's all subjective as many others have pointed out. But that doesn't mean you can't be a Lexus fan either. That said, is it me or do the Toyota stylists like big butt rear ends on their cars? Why so square and gigantic? Would not a sedan enthusiast go to a CUV or SUV in the Toyota/Lexus line for additional cargo capacity? How many suitcases and golf bags do you need to stuff into that trunk?

Here's the relatively boring 750...

The totally ugly 2014 7 series rear end...

The older but still current S class back end. Fairly staid but it doesn't look ginormous...
Hard to say Matty.
Horses for courses I guess.
Both designs are good, but in different ways.

The purpose of the big square trunk is for practicality/functionality of a big trunk space, especially considering the need to store hybrid Lion batteries under the trunk.

On the other hand, the purpose of the Benz "pinched" tail is for aerodynamics/air flow, with a reduced low pressure void space immediately behind the trunk which increases aerodynamic drag.
The Benz pinched tail design has a 2nd added benefit of looking "unusual", hence standing out of the crowd.

IMO, the 5LS canopy esp around the apex of the rear windows and C pillar should have looked sweeter like the current Toyota Avalon, which is probably one of the first TMC products to use 6 light windows in a sedan in modern times.

Furthermore, while the S Class trunk face is markedly angled up, the Avalon's is only slightly angled up, and this is what Lexus most probably should have done with 5LS.
As it turned out, Lexus slightly pitched the face of the 5LS trunk downwards.

If TMC had made the 5LS look just a bit better on the rear quarter, the 5LS would debut like a rocket ship just like the 4LS did back in 2007 with a thumping 35,000 units/year relative to this day and age's SUV boom.

I am a Lexus fan up to a point only, and if I believe that something needs to improve, then I say so.
There are other people on CL who are far more "fanatical" about Lexus cars than me, and to these people, Lexus can do little wrong...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-20-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 03:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LS is so much sleeker
Old 09-20-17, 03:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, the 5LS canopy esp around the apex of the rear windows and C pillar should have looked sweeter like the current Toyota Avalon, which is probably one of the first TMC products to use 6 light windows in a sedan in modern times.
Can you explain what you mean by "6 light windows"? Are you referring to 3 windows per side?
Old 09-20-17, 04:47 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Man, that hybrid with the red interior looks sweet. I'm getting vibes of a Quattroporte or a 90's Jaguar XJ with the new LS - a combo of quiet elegance on the outside with luxury bling on the inside. The S-class looks dumpy and the 7-series looks dull in comparison.

I'm a fan of the Bangled 5-series and 7-series so I don't mind the upturned rear. The current XJ also has a big rear so it's fine. The LS' exterior styling alone could pull in loads of younger buyers (while possibly alienating older ones), so Lexus is probably hoping the influx would overcome lost sales to more conservative buyers.

Anyway, check out the current Quattroporte in profile. The LS' windshield rake looks a lot sportier than the German sedans.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LS500/LS500h-2014_maserati_quattroporte_sedan_gts_s_oem_1_1280-01-01.jpg  

Last edited by chromedome; 09-20-17 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 06:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Can you explain what you mean by "6 light windows"? Are you referring to 3 windows per side?
Yes, in the old days, the car magazines used to refer to Audi's style as six light windows, eg current model Toyota Avalon etc.
It probably means the same as your 3 windows per side.
In the diagram below, they call it the rear quarter glass.

5LS has the choice of:
1) Conventional four light windows, or
2) Fancy six light windows with the rear quarter glass pane.

These two types of designs can further be subdivided into different types of rear window apices:
a) Conventional with a normal rear window triangular apex like Benz or Audi in 6 light windows.
b) Curved and rising apex of rear window like the current 6ES and Tesla Model S in 6 light windows.
c) Angular apex of rear window like 3IS and Genesis G80 in 6 light windows.
d) Steep rising or flat rear window apex eg 3GS.

a) Conventional Rear Window Apex, in 4 and 6 light windows.
In truth, current Benz even uses "reverse" curves, or "drooping" rear window lines.

b) Rising Curved Apex in 4 light & 6 light windows:

Unlike 5LS, the Tesla Model S has NO rear vent glass/pane, so it looks simpler and cleaner than Lexus 5LS.
Actually, Model S further helps itself because it is a "frameless" window design like Lexus 1ES, 2ES & 3ES.
However, frameless windows can have strength, noise and sealing issues.

c) Angular Rising Rear Apex in 4 & 6 light windows:

d) Steep rising or flat rear window apex in 4 light windows.
Off the top of my head, I can't remember any 6 light window cars with a steep & flat rear window apex???

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-21-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 06:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,770 Likes on 2,344 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
LS is so much sleeker
Makes the Benz look old and boring. The LS is like an art piece to me, you might not like it but you remember it. The car is growing on me especially the interior.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h